ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Strange GD7 problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Strange GD7 problem Reply with quote

ok i got a really strange problem with my Game Doctor SF7 here.

I have 2 PAL snes systems, the first had the lockout chip disabled, the second one has a switch for the lockout chip and a switch for 50/60 hertz mode.

The GD works perfectly on the first snes (the one with only the lockout chip disabled). However with my second snes (witch i use most) it just wont work, it show wrong memory size, i get disk errors when trying to load a game, and when it douse finally load a game, it copied wrong, the games wont play, has graphic glitches and also the name in the GD7's GUI is wrong, it has strange characters in the name instead of the good name of the game.

if i load a game on my first snes, play it and it works, i tried to insert the game doctor in the second snes (keeping power on the GD ofcourse). But then when i try to play i only get a black screen.

Any help?
Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphic glitches etc.... - as the gd7 is known good on another Snes, I would suggest the contacts on the non-working snes need a very good clean (and possibily rebending to make a better contact)
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply, but that would not explain why i cant load games from floppy disks when i use it on the second snes. Also the menu from the GD7 it self is crips clear and douse not have any glitches. This makes me think the snes is clean.

Any other ideas?

Maybe also importaint to know: Original games (cartrige) run fine, no glitches at all.
Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, and you are powering the GD7 externally....

Well it's got to be the snes's so:

1) Some snes' can power backup units directly, others can not. It could be the 2nd snes power output through the cartridge pins is for some reason messing up the SF7. Power problems would also possibly cause the other errors - amount of ram reported etc. It may even be the PSU you are using for the SF7 is at it's limit, but is just ok on 1 snes.

2) There is some issue with your wiring on the lockout chip or on the 50Hz mod - which seems unlikely.

The sf7 has a self test - does this report errors? Does the sf7 ALWAYS report incorrect ram on the 2nd Snes? Does it ever report errors on the 2nd snes when you do not have SF7 PSU plugged in? Have you tried a 2nd PSu for the sf7?
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is on the second snes:

Most of the time it douse give the wrong memory size, i have a 128Mb GD7 so it should say 8x16 im looking at a screen that says 8M x 31 units right now.

Running without the PSU boots, but it gives me a WCM error and it also says i have 31 memory units.
Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:

Running without the PSU boots, but it gives me a WCM error and it also says i have 31 memory units.

That's quite odd - snes should have no problem powering at this stage (usually only fail when driving the floppy drive). The WCM error I think is normal for a SF7 when your Snes can't power the floppy, but you still get the memory size error... which suggests the PSU is not the culprit.

I still have concerns about the cartridge connections on the 2nd snes. There are at least 4 power connectors in there (2xGND, 2x VCC (5V)) - there could be something duff which would not impact (most) games.

I presume any setting of the lockout switch & 50hz setting makes no impact on any of this?
Peter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i look into the snes to the slot the pinup set is like this:

[.some pins.] [...........................a lot of pins.............................] [.some pins.]

where are the power pins you discribed?

the large part of pins is easier to clean then the small part

thanks!

Peter
Silver

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pins 5 and 36 are GND
Pins 27 and 58 carry +5V

These are the four end connectors of the "middle bit" with lots of pins I believe... (There should be 8 pins in each side block).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: