ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Super UFO Pro 7 Floppy Disk Drive
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulse

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Problems with Super UFO Pro 7 Floppy Disk Drive Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

i just got an Super UFO Pro 7 drive. I want to use it on a PAL-SNES. It starts up fine when I start it with a PAL-cartridge plugged in.
But the Floppy Disk Drive just won't work. I can't boot roms, i can't copy the card to the disk, i can't format it, the drive just does not work and it always says "no disk". Confused
I already tested the drive in a computer but it works just fine there.
I changed the drive in Super UFO, but the copier did not start with the new drive. So i put the old drive back in.

Is the problem just that I still have to put a PAL CIC Chip in? Just to get the FDD work?
I thought I didn't have to if I boot up with a PAL game.
I used different 2HD-disks to test it (Sony MFD-2HD, maxell MF2HD, BASF 2HD). Does Super UFO maybe need other ones?

It would be very nice if anyone could help me with this problem.

Thank you! Smile

greetings from Germany,

Pulse
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you power the UFO with a PSU?
9-10V DC 1.0A +C-?

Can you hear anything from the drive? Light up?

It has nothing to do with your CIC, if the copier boots up then your setup is ok.
Pulse

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked and saw that the power supply i used was only able to handle up to 800mA.
Now I'm wondering if i could use the supply from my PAL NES?
It says Output 9V, 1.3A.
Would this also be okay for the Super UFO?
Unfortunately I have no manual for the UFO drive around.

thanks for your help!!

edit: i just tried the NES/SNES power supply and the FDD makes loud noise, sounding like its hung up everytime i put a disk in, but it does not read the disk. the lights still not up.
so i guess i have to buy a power supply with the exact data you gave me before?
or should it normally work with a NES/SNES supply?

Last edited by Pulse on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You used an NES power supply? (>_<)!
Pulse

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, because the NES/SNES supplys have an 9V, 1.3A output, so i thought i'd give it a try. Embarassed

@Trenton_net: i can see in your post that it wasn't the best idea...
but instead of just stating that its wrong, could you maybe explain it? have i done any damage to the drive?

Last edited by Pulse on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The loud noise could be due to the bad polarity...it should be still working but it's certainly not good.

9V 1.3A should be ok but make sure its center is negative.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarity_symbols
to make sure look for a sign such as +C-

best way to know is using a multimeter

Probe your power supply then probe your 7805 regulator
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pulse wrote:
Yes, because it seems to be exactly the same as the snes supply and had an 9V, 1.3A output, so i thought i'd give it a try. Embarassed

@Trenton_net: i can see in your post that it wasn't the best idea...
but instead of just stating that its wrong, could you maybe explain it? have i done any damage to the drive?

Well for starters, you can't mix AC and DC power. If you've stuck an NES power adapter in your copier you probably messed up your regulator.
madman

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had someone tell me that the NES had a DC adapter as well, but yea, if he plugged the adapter that outputs AC into his copier, it's going to be a bad day.
Pulse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

i just got my new power supply, a universal power supply where you can put in different plugs.
It's now 9V, 1.0A, +C- but it still doe not work.
Is there any appellation or description of the plug i have to use?!
I'm kinda tired of trying Wink

EDIT: I have one more idea. Maybe it works if the FDD gets its power from a external computer power supply and just the IDE connects it to the Super UFO...?

Update: Didn't work either. The drive still does nothing :/ "No Disk" over and over.

Update 2: Just connected an other FDD, now the lights up and it just says "Insert Disk", but no more "No Disk". When I try to format it in Super UFO it says "Write protected" even if no disk is in the drive.
btw: it does not matter if the Power supply is plugged in or not this time.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had to guess, I would say the first time your problem was that the drive wasn't getting power.

Now I'm thinking because you plugged in an NES power supply (for who knows how long), coupled with the fact that you tried supplying external power to the drive and it still doesn work, you've messed up something inside the copier itself.

As for possible repair or troubleshooting, sorry I can't be of more help. I've been out of the copier business for quite a while now.
Pulse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm yeah of course i thought about that too, but i'm trying to continue being optimistic.
Of course the SNES power supply was a bad idea, but it was just in for maybe 10 seconds. I did not try a NES supply, i just wrote "NES/SNES" because they have the same output. I just did not think about AC... :/

I think i'm gonna buy a power supply at consolegoods.co.uk to be completely sure and to have the exact right one there.

Addiotionally i'll test the FDD in my computer once more to see if the drive now maybe really is the problem.

Thanks very much for helping so far! Smile
I'll post in here when I know more!
Pulse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the supply from consolegoods.
But it still won't work. I think the plug is a little little bit smaller than the SNES plug and it does not fit perfectly in the Super Ufo.
Just when i plug it in very carefully about one third, the FDD makes a short noise, but even if i try to hold that position, nothing.
The UFO still boots up, with or without power supply, but the drive does nothing. (but still works, tested it).

Anyone maybe got another idea? :/
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May I ask where did you get this copier? Did the seller tell you it was working?

I personally don't believe you fried anything, I've done worse things with copiers. I don't believe your FDD is faulty either. Your symptoms remind me of the problem I had with my Pro Fighter. I ended up changing the floppy drive controller.
Can you post detailed pictures of your PCB?
Pulse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

can you tell me what exactly the floppy drive controller is? As you can see in this thread I'm not really an expert Wink but i'm willing to learn! ; )
(Until now, i just changed the IDE-cable to connect the drive to the board).

I got my copier right here: http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8_11&products_id=29
And like I see it, the description clearly says that its working!

And it does boot up fine and the drive itself works fine, too.

Here are some pictures, i hope they are okay (if not, tell me and I'll make some more)
http://img10.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img0116pvi.jpg

They may take some time to load because of the resolution Smile

Thanks for your help!!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help...if I can! Wink

Ok first off, if you bought it from Tomy, you should send him an email regarding the problem. I believe he tests all his hardware so there shouldn't any major issue with the device he sold you.

The floppy disk controller in your UFO is the Goldstar82(...) but since your board is in very good condition I don't believe it's your problem. The only thing I noticed is a bent pin on the bottom adapter part.
Look on this pic, starting from the top, the 4th on the right:
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/3739/img0124u.jpg
Try to straighten it up VERY CAREFULLY.

If you test another IDE cable on your copier make sure it's a straight cable! (34 <-> 34)
The IDE floppy drive cables from PC are not straight.

I believe your problem could be due to a bad connection between the copier and the FDD or the copier and the SNES
Here's what I would do:

1) Test your copier on another SNES
2) Test your bottom cart connector connections with a multimeter
3) Test your FDD drive connections with a multimeter

A multimeter has many uses but in your case it will help testing continuity, it emits a sound when 2 tracks are connected.

To test the bottom cart connector, open it, connect it to the copier and test continuity between the cartridge slot of the copier and the pins that are soldered on the top of the cart connector.

To test your FDD connections you might need to unscrew the bottom part of your FDD to reveal its PCB and the 34 soldering joints. Connect the FDD to the copier and run some continuity tests between both 34 soldering joints of the copier and the FDD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: