ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Some Questions Reply with quote

Hiya, just some questions about this cart before I buy it.

-If I were to load a PAL game on a NTSC console, would it be sped up to 60hz? I don't know if there were any pal games that were tweaked to original speed like say, Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn, but I imagine that could cause problems.

-How can I tell if my USB port is running 5V? A friend assured me that pretty much any port runs at 5V, but I'd like to be sure.

-How hard is it to get this whole thing configured on Windows XP? I've read around here that 98 is recommended, but at most I'd have access to an old WinME PC and I seriously doubt that PC still works at all. Plus, ME is usually a pain in the ass. Also how long does it take for the whole process of say, erasing one set of games off the cart and writing a new one? Just curious.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PAL games will run at 60hz on a NTSC console. However there are many later games (1994 or after, maybe sooner) which have regional lockout and will prevent you from playing the game on the wrong region console unless you hack the ROM. Also if the PAL game were adjusted for PAL timing it will play much faster on NTSC than intended. Alien Soldier is one example. All Sega 32X titles are region locked I believe too.

Not sure how to check the USB port other than with a voltage meter.

To get the programmer to work on XP it probably isn't that hard. It involves installing some driver I know. Can't really say much more than that as I haven't used it.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most USB ports have been 3.3V for quite a while. I run my programmer on a 3.3V USB port just fine. What's bad are the really old ports that were MORE than 5V.
Galm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers.

Got the cart today, tested it on the console and it worked fine. But I can't get DreamWriter to detect the card. I set the port to EPP and tried both 278 and 378 ports, the only 2 I could choose, with no success.

In another topic someone mentioned using the tool UserPort, but honestly I'm a little clueless on how to use it and didn't really get anywhere with it.

Running on XP SP3 as mentioned above with an Asus P5B Motherboard.

I'm using this parallel cable: http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000L13HZ8/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

Hoping it's the right type?

Edit: Diving into the forum some more, I found this
Quote:
"You should use a "straight-through" cable. That means that each pin on one connector is connected to the identical pin on the other connector."

Looking at the second picture of the link I posted, I guess I got the wrong cable. Problem solved I guess, at least until I get that type of cable to test.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under Windows XP you must install a port driver to use the parallel port. That UserPort is one of those which you need for your program to work. Windows XP has no built in parallel port support like Windows 98. If you tried it on a Win98 machine you probably wouldn't have any issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: