ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMS Pro issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SMS-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: SMS Pro issues Reply with quote

I recently got the SMS PRO and have been having issues with it. I first tried the cartridge in my SMS1 and the video was greyscale with that cart plugged in, other carts are fine. I tilted the SMS base a little bit and it went correct for a little while with that cart but now it's always grayscale when plugged in. The games that were initially installed on it worked though.

Secondly I cannot get the dreamwriter software to work. It says there is 4MB free space, but shows nothing in the games column. If I try and write a single game it hangs the application unless I untick turbo mode. When turbo mode isn't ticked the progress bar moves and things seem to happen, but verification fails, looks like every byte written is incorrect.

Now when I plug the cartridge in now it says software error, like the data on the cart is now incorrect. So I have two issues,

1) When the cart is plugged in the output is greyscale over RF, sometimes it flashes to weird colors
2) I can't write to the cartridge and now the data on it seems to be corrupt.
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read back the first $8000 from the cart and looks like it's all corrupted.

% ........ 2 EASTE........T 1&5 2 ........ 2 WWW&........CGE 2 ...........!....%%%%%%%%! ....! ... .. @.PI..G@T TGTEPDK .

I assume that TGTEPDK is supposed to be tototek, among other things.
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using v2.3 of the software also.
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried using UCON64 and it can read from the device fine, but when I try and write to it , it says "SMS PRO programmer not found".

Also, writing/reading SAVE RAM seems to work in dreamwriter (i verify the data it returns after writing something custom), just not writing to the game area. Is my unit defective or something?
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok one more thing which may be helpful or not. Seems reading the device returns slightly different results each time, with a few bits switched here and there. Which indicates it isn't reliably reading from the device. I've tried this on two different configurations. A laptop bought in 2003 which says it has EPP support in the BIOS, and an A8N-SLI which was made around the end of 2004 and also lists EPP support.

On both computers it says 32Mb free but just can't write to it, or read reliably from it.
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also another thing, I just got an AV cable for my SMS1 and the colors are fine using that and the TOTOTEK cart. Just in RF mode it seems to be affecting the graphics output somehow, maybe that's normal for this cart though?

Still can't play any games anymore on the TOTOTEK cart because of the writing issues.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you test your cart when received it ? It must work, it tested before ship. And your PC have epp support, but have you setup epp mode from bios setup ? And your cables are the right cables ?
Toolguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two cables came from tototek so they should be fine. The first thing I did was test the cart in my SMS1 before I even bothered using the flasher. I saw preinstalled games, and besides the greyscale issue with RF (is this supposed to happen?), it seemed to be ok, bubble bobble worked, strider worked.

Then I used my laptop which has EPP support enabled in the bios to try and connect to the cart. I also made sure +5V was being supplied to it by using my voltage meter. The software said "32Mb free" and didn't list any games at all, so I tried to write one and I had to play around with it a bit before it would write, it didn't like turbo mode for instance. But once it wrote and tried to verify whatever it wrote it always failed, saying ERR from 0 -> 3FFF for every byte. I assume every byte failed to write. UCON64 says it can't detect the programmer when I try and write to it, yet it can read from it? Writing to SAVE RAM and reading from it however appears to work in both dreamwriter and ucon64.

Somewhere along the line it became corrupted because now it can't even boot on the SMS1, says SOFTWARE error which means the checksum it is doing has failed because the data isn't correct.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ship back your sms pro for check ?
Toolguy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's shipped yesterday, so hopefully it will arrive to you soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SMS-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: