ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

32M or 64M?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mykikeul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: 32M or 64M? Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

I'm wondering which md-pro device I must buy for megadrive.

It seems that only street fighter 2 size is bigger than 32M. So I think 32M is ok because I already have this game.
Is it the only "big" game?

Thanks,
knastbube

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the 64m version and i think it is better to buy this one.

32m is very small. A good game is 8-18 mb big. So you can only flash 4 or 1 game.

By the 64mb version looks that a little bit better. You can flash more games on the cardige.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is 40 mb big.
Toy Story is 34mb
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main difference is that you can hold more games in the cartridge at once possibly as the capacity is double. The second difference is that only the 64M version I believe supports 32X games.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is not 40 megabits, it is 32 megabits. Same with Toy Story. The only Genesis game larger than 32 megabits is Super Street Fighter 2.

So the difference again is the 64M can support Sega 32X games and you have 64 Megabits of memory to hold games opposed to 32 Megabits. Keep in mind if you put more than 1 game on either cartridge I believe you have to have the menu program on the cartridge too which will take some memory as well.

The way I see it, if you are sure you don't need 32X support then the MDPRO 32 megabit version is fine. But it's up to you and I've mentioned the advantages of the larger version.
mykikeul

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that there must be at least 2 games to support game saving in SRAM. Is it true? because if I play on a big game (nearly 32M) I won't be able to put 2 games and saves couldn't work...
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MD-Pro 32 Mb cart does support the 32X. What NEITHER supports (software issue, not hardware) is running different region 32X games. So if you have an NTSC 32X, you can run US 32X games, but not European 32X games... unless you hack the image yourself. For example, you can patch the Asian version of DarXide to make it think it's US, then burn it to the MD-Pro and it works fine.
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mykikeul wrote:
I read somewhere that there must be at least 2 games to support game saving in SRAM. Is it true? because if I play on a big game (nearly 32M) I won't be able to put 2 games and saves couldn't work...

It's not that you can't save, it's that you can't specify WHERE to save. You have four banks you can save into on the MD-Pro. With the multi-cart menu, you can specify the game save into bank 1 to 4. If you don't have the menu, bank 1 is always used. I don't think that's a problem because if you don't have the menu, you only have one game anyway. Very Happy
mykikeul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chilly Willy wrote:
mykikeul wrote:

It's not that you can't save, it's that you can't specify WHERE to save. You have four banks you can save into on the MD-Pro. With the multi-cart menu, you can specify the game save into bank 1 to 4. If you don't have the menu, bank 1 is always used. I don't think that's a problem because if you don't have the menu, you only have one game anyway. Very Happy

Ok! thanks for explanation. So I think I will buy the 32M one because I don't have and don't want a 32X...
Chilly Willy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any 32X games bigger than 32Mb anyway. As long as you have SSF2 already and don't care how many games go on the flash cart, the 32M cart will save you a few bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: