ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it possible to re-flash genuine nintendo carts?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feast

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: is it possible to re-flash genuine nintendo carts? Reply with quote

would it be possible to take, say, a japanese super metroid cart and reflash the cart with the english version?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Real game cartridge contain a "Mask ROM" chip with the game software stored on it. This memory is not rewritable. It is called a Mask ROM because of the process of manufacture it uses involves a Mask sort of like Optical Discs.

Anyway, you can't reprogram it. The most you can do if you have the equipment and skills is replace the ROM chip with programmable chips like EPROM or Flash ROM. You're really better off buying a Flash Cartridge with programmer.
feast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indeed, well, i want to make my own star ocean repro cause i cant play it on my super flash, so if i got a re-writable eprom and replace the existing mask rom with it, would that work?
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feast wrote:
indeed, well, i want to make my own star ocean repro cause i cant play it on my super flash, so if i got a re-writable eprom and replace the existing mask rom with it, would that work?

get a powerpak SNES cart. Then you could play on on that, as well as many other games
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Ocean requires a SDD-1 board, or a special ROM mapping. The most economical way of playing Star Ocean on a real console is to get the PowerPAK cartridge for SNES. It is possible to build a cartridge with EPROMs and without the SDD-1 but there are no clear instructions available detailing the process.
feast

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it realy cheaper shelling out $150 just to play one game than replacing the mask roms with eproms? i have my star ocean cart here, its works fine, and i see no reason why i coudent just put the english translated rom on a few eproms and replace the mask roms with them, and plus then i can show it off to my mates and be all "loke what i made!!" cause that'd be cool. but besides, i realy do just have my heart set on altering my existing star ocean cart, because i think that would be excesivly cool. please just answer the question, its a simple one,

can i replace the mask roms in a star ocean cart with eproms?

and if i do, will it work?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's cheaper if you intend to play more than one game, and also alot easier labor wise.

With an original Star Ocean cartridge you can replace the Mask ROMs just like any other. It's not hard to do other than having to manually solder something like 40+ wires. Ofcourse another reason I would suggest the PowerPAK is that you should realize the Star Ocean translation is still not finalized. It's still just a beta version. A better version may be released later. Also while the concept is simple you can easily ruin your Star Ocean PCB. Star Ocean was not a heavily produced game and shouldn't just be butchered carelessly as that's wasteful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: