ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Floppy2USB

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorQue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Floppy2USB Reply with quote

Look what I just found in a recent Slashdot thread: http://www.floppytousb.com/ - has anyone tried using that to replace copier floppy drives?

Sorry if that's a dupe, I can remember having seen a CF <-> Floppy adapter here, but not something like that one yet.

EDIT:
DAMN, that thing is expensive: http://www.embroiderybids.com/cart/product.php?productid=17458&cat=331&bestseller - 275 USD!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They work in most copiers but you have partitions of Disk images basically as I recall. So if loading a multi disk game you will still have to do something to change the active disk image. It's not ideal. Also the GDSF copier series tends not to work as it keeps the floppy drive semi-active while you are asked to change disk and these devices see this as the disk is being accessed and will refuse to change.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad they are so expensive. For say $25-$50 I would consider buying one of these for my SWC DX. It would be neat to have every game on a 16GB PICO chip and pop it onto the end of this.

So do the games load any faster than being transferred by a standard floppy? Or does the emulation throttle the data transfer to maintain compatibility?

MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine transfer speed would be whatever the peak floppy transfer speed can reach. As you said, they likely didn't do anything that would break compatibility.

For the SWC DX, or maybe its just the DX2, you can use the DiskDual and a CF/IDE adapter to have mass storage. But really if you want that you are best off with the SNES PowerPAK.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
I would imagine transfer speed would be whatever the peak floppy transfer speed can reach. As you said, they likely didn't do anything that would break compatibility.

For the SWC DX, or maybe its just the DX2, you can use the DiskDual and a CF/IDE adapter to have mass storage. But really if you want that you are best off with the SNES PowerPAK.

The Diskdual it only for the DX2. I have a SWC DX and PFX. I'm happy with both really and just thought it would be interesting to try the Floppy2USB if it were cheap.

I used to have my SWC DX setup with a bootable CDrom on a small 486 mobo and tiny 8" CRT, but I haven't reconnected it since moving into a new place. I'd like to find a cheap/small laptop with parallel port for cheap to replace that someday.

madman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick up a Libretto and docking station from Ebay. Super small and will get the job done. They are limited in terms of HD space, but you can get a PCMCIA CD-ROM also for dirt cheap.
sonofx51

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floppy emulatros are on ebay shipping from CHINA for $50
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sonofx51 wrote:
The floppy emulatros are on ebay shipping from CHINA for $50

Have you used one of these in a SNES copier?

I just wonder what the limitation of files per USB stick would be. My guess would be no more than 200.

NM, I just read the translation of this and realized you can only emulate pages of 1.44 disks. Madman is right.. a cheap laptop would be much better. I would like to find a cheap ($50-$75) laptop with a 2GB or so hdd. I have had way too many laptop cdrom drives die on me over the years to deal with them again.

sonofx51

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread on assemblergames that talks about someone using it on an SF7 but had to wire a switch to disable the floppy emulator while switching files. I read somewhere else that using it with a Super UFO it did not have the problem and switching pages worked fine.
Yeah 100 x 1.44mb images on the USB drive and you flip through the pages to load up the game. This really would have been awesome some years ago before the SNES Powerpak or the Super Everdrive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: