ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Doctor SF CD, Emulator?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 am    Post subject: Game Doctor SF CD, Emulator? Reply with quote

Not sure if anyone ever asked this question before. Even with the PowerPAK out I'm curious if anyone knows or has tried this before. Similar to replacing the Floppy Drive with one of those USB Flash based floppy drive emulators, has anyone considered making some sort of emulator device to plug into the 25pin parallel port for the purpose of emulating the CD-ROM attachment with some other device? It would be neat to see that exploited to load roms off Compact Flash, Hard Disk, or even a IDE CD-ROM/DVD-ROM rather than a MKE.

I suppose for something to be very practical it'd need to be pretty cheap since if you exceed the cost of the SNES PowerPAK you're just throwing away money.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done with very little hardware, but that's a hell of a lot of coding for FAT<->CDFS and MKE<->IDE/SD.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it could have been done, that's nice to know. I realize there is little reason for anyone to make the effort now with the PowerPAK available at a reasonable price.

The other idea that I'd forgotten about for the GDSF and loading roms was it would have been cool if someone made another device for the Parallel Port, but not for emulating the CD-ROM. Instead using the Parallel PC Linking feature in a compact device for loading roms off whatever medium. That would probably be an easier task I'd think since the parallel communication is documented in UCON64. It would be neat to have a small device maybe with a CF card and one of those small LCD panel screens and a few buttons so you could select options in a simple menu to do the usual functions you might do with a PC.

Would you think that would be an easier think to do than emulating the CD-ROM?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easier, but then the hardware is more costly with a screen and buttons.
madman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't matter how complex it is or isn't--nobody is going to bother because there's no point in investing time creating such a device.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This all just hypothetical. As I mentioned, the SNES PowerPAK makes anything that costs more a moot point. Just interested in the idea. Seems like prior to the PowerPAK it would have been a sweet device to make the GDSF3/6/7 an even better device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: