ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bung Doctor v64 working with a DVD-ROM Drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:22 am    Post subject: Bung Doctor v64 working with a DVD-ROM Drive? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if this is possible (either with a certain brand IDE DVD-rom and/or BIOS update)

I have seen the CF card + BIOS hack, but I really don't want to alter my original v64 that much. A dual layer 8.5GB would be a perfect size for the best N64 roms uncompressed without disc swapping.

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only possible with a BIOS update that nobody has developed and probably never will.
pablo_jre

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it because the v64 doesn't understand DVD (I thought IDE took care of tha anyway) or because of it's 4.7/8.5 gigabyte sizes?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVD-ROM and CD-ROM use different disc formats. It's not just the size difference. There are many differences such as the file system which I think would be the first big barrier.

It would make more sense to develop a device using Compact Flash cards to run N64 ROMs than to make a BIOS hack for the V64 since they are so old, not very available, expensive, etc.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
DVD-ROM and CD-ROM use different disc formats. It's not just the size difference. There are many differences such as the file system which I think would be the first big barrier.

It would make more sense to develop a device using Compact Flash cards to run N64 ROMs than to make a BIOS hack for the V64 since they are so old, not very available, expensive, etc.

Well, there are other flash devices for the N64, but I like the reliability and nostalgia of the Doctor V64.

There is also the CF card +BIOS update for the v64... http://emuconsoleexploitnews.blogspot.com/2010/05/doctor-v64-hddcf-bios-upgrade.html But it's based on an old firmware and does away with a lot of the extra functions, and the test menus, which I like to have.

I think it only works with a maximum of 4GB CF card.

I would rather have DVDRom support since DVD-Rom drives are dirt cheap and abundant. The IDE to CF card readers are sometimes flaky and I like to keep the hardware unmodified.

Plus, if it ever did work (and I realize it probably will never happen) 8.5GB would be a good size to work with. I also don't think the CF card appears to have any speed increase over a 32x CDROM. The bottleneck being the v64.

madman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time required to develop such a BIOS would be greater than the time required for everyone who still cares about warezing N64 to swap CDs when they want to play different games Smile In reality, you should be able to fit all the *good* N64 games on probably 2 CDs. The rest are horrible games that were horrible back then and even worse now.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
The time required to develop such a BIOS would be greater than the time required for everyone who still cares about warezing N64 to swap CDs when they want to play different games Smile In reality, you should be able to fit all the *good* N64 games on probably 2 CDs. The rest are horrible games that were horrible back then and even worse now.

Hey, someone took the time to hack the BIOS to run roms off the CF card>IDE adapter though. So you never know...

system64

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, you can install a DVD drive in a Doctor V64. But you can only read CDs with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: