ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where can I get a Super Magicom?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UG has some sweet ass stuff.

Also, forums? lollllllsssss Smile

It was so difficult to acquire a lot of roms back in the snes scene days that you pretty much would have to run a top BBS with multi nodes to acquire the vast majority of files.

scaramouche

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Men, i full understand this guy. Some people love to listen Vinyls today, and of course if someone ask "hey .. anybody know were i can buy a Phillips Vinyl disc player?" i don´t think anybody will tell "Are you crazy?? buy you an MP3 player or BLUE RAY!! Even de CD are obsoletes now!"

Believe it or not, i know people that love to listen music from a Vitrola (even previous than the Vinyl discs).

Is not just about the music or the game.. the format , the way you take it.. for some reason i love to burn games on my GB exchangers from a "pain in the neck" parallel port based devices even wen i got very easy USB based units that i can just burn from my netbook.

The game is funny.. to make them run on old and obsoletes units and devices is funny too. Full understand this guy and good look with the search. I will ask over here just in case and let you know.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to ressurect this old post, but I just noticed it and feel like I have to comment...

I still have nightmares of the 8 hour days I spent copying SNES carts to floppies in the early 90's! We sat in tiny cubicles with nothing but a table and a tiny B&W TV.

Videogamer555 was right about everything... Well except that we used SWC DX's to dump .SMC files.. That was our only fun. I used to dance in my cubicle to the menu music (when the guards wern't watching of course!)

Back to reality.. Does anyone actually want the original scene releases? I think Art of the Game (from numbers BBS) still has them untouched with NFO's.. I think I have the first couple discs. If anyone really wants them I could pack them up and throw them on Undergroundgamer or something.

amptor wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:
I'm not arguing if the current copy I see is a direct-from-the-backup-device scene rip. I'm saying they are probably copies of copies of copies going from one computer to the next on BBSs and websites. But the ORIGINAL that this is a copy of is MOST LIKELY a scene rip. As the originals as far as I know, NEVER came from amateurs who happened to get their hands on a game copier, but rather professional game-pirates in China and Hong Kong, with entire buildings full of tables set up with TVs SNESs and SFCs with copier devices attached, with people working 8 hour days to rip every known SNES and SFC cartridge know to exist (including betas, SFC version games, SNES-NTSC version games, and SNES-PAL version games, of every known SFC/SNES game), back "in the day".

OK from this now I know this guy is pulling our leg.

I would like to see what would happen if I showed this post to someone like digital messiah or even spoonman Smile

Also roms were not packaged in Arc wtf... we're talking 1992 and beyond. I started using PC at about 1990 and we were all using pkzip. Roms initially were packaged in lha as far as I remember and then started showing up as lzh. Zip files were used in the scene sometimes but it wasn't as common. The whole scene revolved around use of the PC as a tool to store, spread (courier/trade/leech/etc), use (copy onto floppy disks), and modify ROM images. And as such, the PC already had arj, lzh, lha, and pkzip at the time. I have seen some games packaged in arj as well but it was very infrequent and those tended to normally be gdsf format roms which actually was the copier for noobs. All the people serious in the hobby were using pro fighters and wildcards. gdsf7 was seldom discussed.

madman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AOG CDs renamed the ROMs and there are no NFO files. On the first disc (or two) a few ROMs didn't work properly, though some do have the scene intros in tact.
romiso

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the art of the game cds are all unpacked and ready to play, there is no real scene stuff on that (other then the (renamed) games themself)... around 95% of numbers cds are repacks (all files are packed with .zip instead of .lha or .lzh and files are mostly renamed)

i was deeply into that thematic during the last 2 years as i was involved with the "bbs scene project". the goal of the project is the preservation of old scene archives and sorting them into folders according to todays scene standards (there were around 14k+ releases sorted for around 20+ systems last time i counted).. quite a niche when it comes to collecting so don`t bother if you never heard about it Smile - the project mostly was known in the german speaking area. we also did the snes and genesis scene torrents @ underground-gamer.com.

if anyone is interested in the thematic, likes to share or trade old bbs archives or Pirate CDs or is looking for a specific file from back then feel free to pm me Wink
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
The AOG CDs renamed the ROMs and there are no NFO files. On the first disc (or two) a few ROMs didn't work properly, though some do have the scene intros in tact.

Ahh yeah. It's been years since I've put this disc in a drive. I must have thinking of something else. Did Numbers have a collection of LZH'd, untouched scene releases?

My friend Shawn ran the RiSC/HQ 2112 BBS. Being in RiSC's console division, I uploaded just about every release there.

Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago and his BBS archives were never backed up. Sad

The only thing I have of the original scene stuff intact [NFO's/file_id.diz] are demos, slideshows, utils, and hacks..
http://www.videogameobsession.com/personal/snesdisc/samples.htm
I just fixed the broken links. I also have a bunch more that I can rar and dump there if anyone wants them.

I also have a couple years ('94-'96) of #SNES logs, but I'm not sure everyone wants to see those go public. Razz

This looks to have quite a bit of original LZH BBS files:
http://www.underground-gamer.com/details.php?id=46196

romiso

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpooNMan wrote:

thats the torrent of our project + my personal collection of bbs archives.. its 100% all original archives and nearly complete - its about 150 releases missing out of about 7000 - so i guess its the most complete snes scene collection out there at the moment, but its still in working process... there should also been a sega genesis one but i guess this one has no seeders anymore so its gone Sad...
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

romiso wrote:
SpooNMan wrote:

thats the torrent of our project + my personal collection of bbs archives.. its 100% all original archives and nearly complete - its about 150 releases missing out of about 7000 - so i guess its the most complete snes scene collection out there at the moment, but its still in working process... there should also been a sega genesis one but i guess this one has no seeders anymore so its gone Sad...

Oh. Nicely done and thanks! Smile

I do have some docs that you may not have including some of my own releases that didn't always make it to all the boards. I need to sort through a lot of archives, but I will try and keep anything I don't see in your collection aside for you.

amptor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh I don't have nightmares but I have som memories of things still. I remember when a friend of mine was running a BBS and acquired Fulgore's password which happened to be the SAME password that digital messiah used on every BBS he was on. So he told me to try it on USS Enterprise and it worked. So I downloaded everything I ever dreamed of from there until Picard caught me and consequentially took his BBS down completely after 2 weeks. Still not sure why he took the board down.

I remember dialing out to boards and downloading the latest ROMs and usually trading PC games for credits because SNES games were much smaller. I could get a lot more video games to play this way.

I still remember all the silly underground and invite only BBSes like The Ghetto in Crockett and stuff like that. Cambit let me use his account on The Ghetto and there wasn't much going on on there at all really. It had telnet with ISDN or something. It wasn't all that spectacular when I was able to finally get in. It was suppose to be pretty good before Sega busted them though I guess.

The copying of games onto floppy disks was fun and it was interesting fitting 1.6 megs onto a 1.44 and figuring out the latest tools to use to get up to 1.72 megabytes on the disk. The only thing I missed out on was the 2.88 megabyte floppy drive. I never purchased one of those. But I think only the SWC DX2 was compatible with it.

Not kissing ass or anything but I remember seeing Spoonman's files on various BBSes, Razor1911 hq's and such. A couple boards in El Cerrito I guess and also probably on Spatula City in Vacaville. Those were always really cool to see in the file listings. He made a big name for himself by distributing that stuff which I think mostly was cheat codes for games and information; no pirated software.

What I really don't miss was being unable to get a large quantity of games, the download speeds were horrendous, telephone bills I usually kept at about $60/mo which is absurd since back then compared to today's money that's about $120 or so in today's buying power.

SpooNMan wrote:
Sorry to ressurect this old post, but I just noticed it and feel like I have to comment...

I still have nightmares of the 8 hour days I spent copying SNES carts to floppies in the early 90's! We sat in tiny cubicles with nothing but a table and a tiny B&W TV.

Videogamer555 was right about everything... Well except that we used SWC DX's to dump .SMC files.. That was our only fun. I used to dance in my cubicle to the menu music (when the guards wern't watching of course!)

Back to reality.. Does anyone actually want the original scene releases? I think Art of the Game (from numbers BBS) still has them untouched with NFO's.. I think I have the first couple discs. If anyone really wants them I could pack them up and throw them on Undergroundgamer or something.

amptor wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:
I'm not arguing if the current copy I see is a direct-from-the-backup-device scene rip. I'm saying they are probably copies of copies of copies going from one computer to the next on BBSs and websites. But the ORIGINAL that this is a copy of is MOST LIKELY a scene rip. As the originals as far as I know, NEVER came from amateurs who happened to get their hands on a game copier, but rather professional game-pirates in China and Hong Kong, with entire buildings full of tables set up with TVs SNESs and SFCs with copier devices attached, with people working 8 hour days to rip every known SNES and SFC cartridge know to exist (including betas, SFC version games, SNES-NTSC version games, and SNES-PAL version games, of every known SFC/SNES game), back "in the day".

OK from this now I know this guy is pulling our leg.

I would like to see what would happen if I showed this post to someone like digital messiah or even spoonman Smile

Also roms were not packaged in Arc wtf... we're talking 1992 and beyond. I started using PC at about 1990 and we were all using pkzip. Roms initially were packaged in lha as far as I remember and then started showing up as lzh. Zip files were used in the scene sometimes but it wasn't as common. The whole scene revolved around use of the PC as a tool to store, spread (courier/trade/leech/etc), use (copy onto floppy disks), and modify ROM images. And as such, the PC already had arj, lzh, lha, and pkzip at the time. I have seen some games packaged in arj as well but it was very infrequent and those tended to normally be gdsf format roms which actually was the copier for noobs. All the people serious in the hobby were using pro fighters and wildcards. gdsf7 was seldom discussed.

romiso

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpooNMan wrote:
romiso wrote:
SpooNMan wrote:

I do have some docs that you may not have including some of my own releases that didn't always make it to all the boards. I need to sort through a lot of archives, but I will try and keep anything I don't see in your collection aside for you.

that would be great... but there is no need to sort things out, as i am also interested in dupes, because i´m also looking for the best possible release: best time stamp, less adds, files from groups hq...

got some tools to sort things out pretty fast, so there is no need for that extra work Wink... just pm me so we can work things out...
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant I need to sort out my personal texts & stuff from the original BBS files. Those don't need to become [pd]! Razz

romiso wrote:
SpooNMan wrote:
romiso wrote:
SpooNMan wrote:

that would be great... but there is no need to sort things out, as i am also interested in dupes, because i´m also looking for the best possible release: best time stamp, less adds, files from groups hq...

got some tools to sort things out pretty fast, so there is no need for that extra work Wink... just pm me so we can work things out...

xiaNaix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to frequent many boards in the U.S. and U.K. back in the day under a different nick. Luckily, I avoided most of the shit that went down towards the end there with MAPHIA, etc. If anyone has contact with Howie tell him to shoot me a PM. Wink All I have left from those years are some random floppies and a handful of printouts. That BBS archive project of yours is like a dream come true for old-timers like myself. Thanks for putting it together. If there are any updates be sure to let us know.
vectrex_rox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be awesome to have access to such an archive ... unluckyly nearly all my archive is gone ;(

best regards ... TermX
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: