ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with Super Fighter Pro Q

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sledge

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Problems with Super Fighter Pro Q Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Super Fighter Pro Q unit that doesn't read from the floppy. It seems to recognize the disk drive, because it spins up when you go inte to the load game meny. But it keeps saying "Insert disk" and stops there.

I have changed the drive to a new one, and I have powered the drive from a separate PSU directly to the drive itself. I have tried to power the unit with a PSU to the copier aswell (not with a PAL AC nintendo adapter), but it behaves exactly the same. Even without the PSUs connected it behaves the same.

Any idea what I could do next? I would be very greatful for any kind of help on this.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most probably something related to the data connection

- try changing the floppy IDC connector
- test and track all the data lines to check there's no cut
- if you have another SPFQ, switch the Floppy Disk Controller to see if it's the problem.
sledge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed the IDC connector, but it was still the same. I will try your other suggestions aswell... I don't have another SPF though..
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sledge wrote:
I changed the IDC connector, but it was still the same. I will try your other suggestions aswell... I don't have another SPF though..

Did u use a straight 34 pins IDC cable? Same one used on your Interceptor.
Actually u could maybe test the SPF with the Interceptor's FDC. It looks like a clone of the Motorola used in the SPF.
sledge

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I actually used the cable from my Interceptors cable Smile

I'm not sure what chip on the SPF is the floppy drive controller, so here's a picture of SPF's PCB. Perhaps you know which one it is?

Thanks for trying to help! Would be nice to get this unit back on track again.

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ACC chip is the floppy controller. It is a second source of the Motorola MCS3201 controller. They are much harder to find replacements for than the NEC uPD765 (Intel 8272 second source) controller and clones.
sledge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I have just ordered a new ACC chip to see if that will solve the problem. I'll let you know when it arrives.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of these copiers. To my knowledge this model does not come standard with a capacitor in place of the battery.
Maybe the previous owner had a leaking battery?
In one thread ("SPF16"...) I showed the corrosion caused by a leaking battery on a SPF, 1st model. I had to reconnect some tracks and change the FDC+socket.
Your copier is in a much better shape than the SPF I fixed though.

This one is a PAL SPFQ+ and luckily it has the logic chip to use parallel transfer from PC. You should rather use this function than the FDD.

EDIT: actually I just noticed your SPFQ+ must be a later revision than the ones I have as they added a new line on the right + an additional capacitor (C38).
sledge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to check if there has been a battery leak. But could it not be that the chip beneath the BIOS is a flashram of some sort that doesn't need a external battery to hold it's information, and that's why there is no battery installed? Just guessing...
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The component below the bios is the 256Kb SRAM. The only difference between using a capacitor or a battery is the time the component remain powered after you turn off the device. So no big deal if you use one or the other as you should always write the saved data to a disk.
sledge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
The component below the bios is the 256Kb SRAM. The only difference between using a capacitor or a battery is the time the component remain powered after you turn off the device. So no big deal if you use one or the other as you should always write the saved data to a disk.

Aha, that makes sense.
sledge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new ACC chip arrived just the other day. Replacing the chip didn't make it work though. Now I get the message that no drive is found.... perhaps the new chip is not working at all? Smile
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like some lines are not connected. Here's how I would test continuity with a multimeter:
- probe each leg of the chip with its corresponding solder joint on the bottom part of the PCB to check if none of the PLCC socket pins are broken.
- then track all the lines going to the 34 pins FDD connector
sledge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I'll check that Smile
sledge

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot find any faults with the skills that I have. No luck getting the drive to work again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: