ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfering SegaCD SRAM from PC back 2 Megacart doesn't work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Transfering SegaCD SRAM from PC back 2 Megacart doesn't work Reply with quote

After I got my SegaCD I really wanted a Sega Backup Cart, but they are still quite expensive for a used cart whose battery could die at any time.

So, I chose to get a new Megacart over an Sega Backup Cart because:
- The Megacart's SRAM, backed up to flash, could be transferred to a PC and then conversely back to the Megacart for esentially an unlimited amount of SRAM backups
- The Megacart also worked as a region convertor for non US games
- The Megacart could actually play flashed games from any region up to 24Mbit but w/o SRAM

I was hesitant to get the Megacart because:
- The Megacart did not allow you to play the 3rd quest in Shining Force CD - but I decided it would be an interesting project to make a hack for this
- Saving directly to the cart could not be done for the games that supported it - not a big deal
- It cost roughly twice as much for a new Megacart vs a used Battery Backup cart - money is money
- The Megacart was not one large block of memory by rather 16 blocks that are the size of the orginal memory, so you lose a lot of storage due to fragmentation - not a big deal since with copying the SRAM to PC it really has infinite storage
- The documentation of the Megacart was sparse - Turned out not to be a big deal since took me less than half a day to figure out all the features I want to use (I haven't tried burning a CD)

I hemmend and hawed about what I should do and finally decided that the double price of the Megacart seemed worth it for the large number of feaures it offered, especially that with it's esentially infinite SRAM backup capabilities it was better than the backup cart in every way except for Shining Force, which I am still hoping to alleviate by making a hack for it.

Well, now that I have my Megacart and have tried all of it's features. I realised that I greatly misunderstood something.

Although it was planned, you CANNOT, with the current transfer utility program (and possibly firmware), transfer SRAM from your PC back to the Megacart via the "adaptator" or even from a CD! Shocked Oh no! It seems strange that this can't be done since the cart is clearly capable of transfering SRAM from the Sega CD itself to the cart... why can't you do it from the "adaptator" or at least from a SRAM file burt to a CD?

To be completely transparent, I'm also having trouble transfering a number of games to the cart. I'm told by the transfer utility that many of my games are not standard. Also, others, once transferred do not work correctly. This is not a big deal since this really isn't what this cart was primarily deisgned to do. It is first and foremost designed to the be best all around accesory made for the Sega CD, and the biggest problem with that, as it stands, is you cannot transfer SRAM files back to it.

Heck, if we can get it to do this, not only can we have infinite SRAM backups, but we can exchange SRAM files in the community and use them in our actual Sega CDs!!

Please evermind/ToToTEK, can you get this origially planned feature to work with a new version of the transfer utility and firmware, if necessary? If this feature worked, I would reccomend the product to all my friends in the fan translation community.
RadicalR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received this product today and found to my surprise this post which pretty much sums up my feelings. Why am I unable to transfer the saves back from the PC to the cart? It seems to be something that could be fixed in a firmware update. Could we get a response on this?
cjoujij

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in purchasing a megacart, but I too am concerned about having this feature. I checked the FAQs but couldn't find an answer.

Could someone from Tototek show some concern for your customers and respond to this? I don't think that's too much to ask for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Evermind Genesis Megacart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: