ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everdrive Famicom/NES flash cart on it's way...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Everdrive Famicom/NES flash cart on it's way... Reply with quote

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=126.0

They will have a Famicom version first, then an NES one. I just hope it matches, or exceeds the PowerPak's features. This is great news!
amptor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I'm guessing that will cost about $129 from the parts I see on it. I was hoping it would be much cheaper. I'm not too keen on spending $100+ whenever a flash cart arrives, besides sd2snes because that one is worth the cash.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since it is NES, and there only exists one other sensible option (FDS based solutions are not cost effective at all when you consider rarity and cost of all you would need to play famicom backups that are on FDS disks), $129 would not be bad. It isn't like SNES that had 30-40 diferent game copier, or a new bunch of modern flash carts.
madman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Everdrive Famicom/NES flash cart on it's way... Reply with quote

RGB_Gamer wrote:

They will have a Famicom version first, then an NES one. I just hope it matches, or exceeds the PowerPak's features. This is great news!

What makes it great news?
amptor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Everdrive Famicom/NES flash cart on it's way... Reply with quote

madman wrote:
RGB_Gamer wrote:

What makes it great news?

I guess it is great news because finally there is more than one option available to purchase for NES. Plus imo KRIKzz menus look better than stuff put out by retrousb so possibly it will be easier on the eyes to use. Oh well who knows.

I still just emulate NES. It does the job fine. I couldn't ever understand dumping over $100 into it. The games just aren't good enough on the NES. Same goes with Colecovision. The Coleco emulator I have on Wii is 100% and to do the same on an actual deck involves maintenance of the console, which at times seems bleak at best, and purchasing an overpriced flash cart (overpriced in money, disregarding all the technicalities of fab and component purchase). Coleco games, too, are VERY very limited in what you can do in them so basically not worth the coin.

Actually i remember the iNES and nesticle days. It was pretty enjoyable. I got a lot of use out of the roms, which then were not plentiful but were released infrequently and allowed enthusiasts enough time per rom to enjoy the games. Maybe it isn't the way they were meant to be played, but it was very interesting technology, software-wise, at the time.

Personally, I just like flash carts for two systems: N64 and SNES. For me, the rest aren't necessary as far as I have seen so far. N64 emulators are far from 100%, though playing Mario Kart on an emulator generally is sufficient. And SNES...eck..I haven't seen any emulator that does the system justice. Even "100% compatibility" bSNES doesn't give me the same feel as the original console hardware, basically speaking of the aesthetic of the graphics and not needing to do a bunch of configuration just to get the game to almost run at a decent frame rate.

NES is so simple that it plays fine on Nintendo handhelds, Dreamcast, Xbox, probably even Wii. I always felt sorry for those who bought the old Bung Dr. Pc Jr. for upwards of $500+. Total waste of cash. That device supports only few mappers and is made by Bung. Two ways to go wrong lol.

I know someone can chime in here and say "but hey, I grew up with NES" well, so did I. But I only owned maybe 16-25 carts for it, not like... 1000+ carts. Basically I stick with what I owned plus a few extras that I rented and borrowed from friends. I was playing some NES a few weeks ago on N64 flash cart and my god, how atrocious some of the games are. It sure makes sense when you compare the feel of the game to the size of the mask rom. Not much to be said there, even less to be said for Coleco. I just can't gain nostalgia from the hundreds or thousands of games I didn't own, so these products aren't worth the purchase for me necessarily. There is a little novelty to it but the price outweighs the amount of use I will get out of it.

MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you just play to play the same old games again I can understand. But I use my PowerPAK to play NES games or Famicom games I didn't get the chance to play back in the 80s/90s. Same with all the flash carts or copiers I have. I prefer to use the real console. Emulation is very nice but it's just not the same. I had a Xbox 1 loaded with all sorts of emulators. It's pretty cool. Ofcourse I had a PS2 controller adapter too. The normal controller is awful for non-Xbox games.

Since this is a retro gaming and collectors forum, most people here probably prefer the real console over emulation.
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't noticed a difference between emulating NES and the real thing, besides that I think the intro in SMB's timing is off in every emulator (I would have to test it on the real console to be sure). Coleco emulation on Wii is far vastly superior to running the ROMs on the original hardware. It can do saved states and also I don't need to lug out old gear and hope the controllers work. I like coleco stuff for the nostalgia and the controller has a different feel to using a Wiimote but the performance of the console itself is so-so. I'm always having a hard time with video on the real machine.

NES I got most of my enjoyment from early emulation days, trying out a bunch of games that I didn't have and such. A flash cart would be interesting for me to just see what the difference is on a relatively few games but other than that, a d-pad is a d-pad. Dreamcast's controller is sufficient and the emulator is pretty straight forward. Not too many games won't work on it. None that I have seen anyway. I'm not sure if flash carts support all of the mappers either though.

MottZilla wrote:
Well if you just play to play the same old games again I can understand. But I use my PowerPAK to play NES games or Famicom games I didn't get the chance to play back in the 80s/90s. Same with all the flash carts or copiers I have. I prefer to use the real console. Emulation is very nice but it's just not the same. I had a Xbox 1 loaded with all sorts of emulators. It's pretty cool. Ofcourse I had a PS2 controller adapter too. The normal controller is awful for non-Xbox games.

Since this is a retro gaming and collectors forum, most people here probably prefer the real console over emulation.

MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerPAK supports almost all the mappers used in commercial games. MMC5 may not be fully implemented but Castlevania 3 does work. I don't think VRC7 is supported. I doubt the DreamCast NES emulator supports it either. But only one game used it. The PowerPAK is pretty sweet. It even can do Disk System games with expansion audio.
amptor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize the PowerPAK could do FDS games. I have a disc I made for dreamcast with an NES emulator that does FDS. It is much cheaper that way anyway, used dreamcast in good condition is $20, disc is probably 10 cents. Plays Doki Doki Panic FDS just fine. I dunno if it does expansion audio though, as I never heard of it.

Most people will complain about the expense of a flash cart simply because they can do what they want on pre-existing hardware and not need to spend more money. Though I have always found it silly when people compare the cost of for example, an N64 flash cart with the cost of an R4 for DS. But the kids that do apparantly don't know a whole lot about the whole process of manufacturing as well as everything else involved. Another funny thing about it is that they generally never talk about the games that won't run at all (or well) in an emulator for the N64 such as Killer Instinct Gold. This is why I prefer flash cart for that system.

On the other hand though, most 8-bit systems are pretty much covered in emulation so the cost of flash cart and other gear is mainly for diehard enthusiast rather than what most people are going to actually buy. It is a very niche thing.

MottZilla wrote:
PowerPAK supports almost all the mappers used in commercial games. MMC5 may not be fully implemented but Castlevania 3 does work. I don't think VRC7 is supported. I doubt the DreamCast NES emulator supports it either. But only one game used it. The PowerPAK is pretty sweet. It even can do Disk System games with expansion audio.

madman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:

Exactly, it's not like the Powerpak is a piece of junk and everybody has been waiting for a better unit to come along. As someone who actually plays games and doesn't just buy hardware to buy hardware, I have no problems with the Powerpak. Plus the FC Everdrive is still in early stages, so it's too early to say it's better than the Powerpak.
amptor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you guys and the only clincher I can think of is cost. If it costs the same or more than the current product, then basically it gives another option for a supplier of a device that does relatively the same thing.

Afaik, NeoFlash is still working on an NES product as well. But I wouldn't expect it to be very cost effective when it comes out. There are other devices they are working on too but who knows when any of this stuff will ever see the light of day. We were lucky enough with the N64 flash cart but it sooner or later got trounced by 64Drive and EverDrive64.

MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll know eventually. The PowerPAK creator did mention that many parts available today were not around when the PowerPAK was designed. So a better design could probably be made today. Though better may not necessarily mean cheaper by much.

I do agree with you that for the NES, the average person will not see any difference between emulation and the real console. They would not see any advantage to having a real system and flash cart.
amptor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
We'll know eventually. The PowerPAK creator did mention that many parts available today were not around when the PowerPAK was designed. So a better design could probably be made today. Though better may not necessarily mean cheaper by much.

I do agree with you that for the NES, the average person will not see any difference between emulation and the real console. They would not see any advantage to having a real system and flash cart.

I consider myself an average person on the 8-bit front, but not on the 16-bit front entirely. some people strongly disagree with me about SNES flash carts and prefer the emulator just to keep things inexpensive.

though I did find it interesting that the sega master system has FM support in some games and you won't get as good of quality of FM emulation from the appropriate SMS emulator as you will from the Neo MKIII Myth flash cart that I own. Which is why it is difficult for me to consider parting with that cartridge in particular.

apparantly my long running opinion of NES emulation not being accurate is false (based on me thinking that the intro to super mario bros is different on actual hardware than on any emulator that exists). I could have sworn that in the intro sequence, Mario hits a block and bounces the mushroom back and grabs it then runs up a ways, gets the 1up, and then it loop cycles back to the title screen. Apparantly the actual real game hardware doesn't do this, as I have seen on a youtube video today which compared the NES to the top loading NES.

Basically it looks like NES emulation is complete as far as I can see but of course the FM synth probably isn't correct on its emulators either. I don't even know if the emualtors that run on Dreamcast or Xbox have that feature built in. Usually I just fire up one of those emulators to check out Doki Doki Panic, which to me isn't really all that interesting after a few seconds into the game, knowing that Super Mario Bros. 2 was a gem in its day and really Americans can't relate at all to the Doki Doki series.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: