ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Supergrafx roms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> PCE-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dav

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:28 am    Post subject: Supergrafx roms Reply with quote

hello
i would like to know if i can play Supergrafx roms (gouls and ghost) on my supergrafx with the PCE-pro or if it just support pc engine rom on supergrafx?

thks
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperGrafx games are no different than regular PCE games so I don't know why they wouldn't work.
Raistlin77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They must be different, Super Grafx games won't run on a PC Engine after all. And I'm not sure why Bung would make 2 adapters for the MGD2 unless it was necessary. They're on backwards-compatible carts, but that's where the similarity ends. They should work on the flash cart, but none of them seem to so far, waiting to test a new version of the flash software and see if they were able to fix it. Unless there's something I need to do to convert the ROM itself, think I'm going to try converting the .pce files to msg format then flashing again but I don't expect much change, maybe they need an SGX option in the software or something.
acem77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

super grafx roms are for the most part the same.
you can play super grafx roms on a turbo duo / pc-engine turbo express.
you will get sound and some grafx.
you can play any super grafx rom on a super grafx with the pce-pro
or mgd 2 pce i/o unit. the orginal mgd2 pce i/o unit would not fit in a super grafx. you have to take off the cover of the system.
or use a converter as an extention and make the pins switchable.
so it works as a straight through connector.
i have done all of this and is does work.

i did run into the grafx glitch problem when i 1st tried my pce-pro with super grafx roms.
i forgot how i got it to work good. i will double check later.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HuCards are 100% the same.
Raistlin77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only one I can get to even run is Aldynes, and that's even too glitched to play. The rest lock completely. The ROMs are not the problem of course, Magic Engine can play them fine. Dreamwriter PCE 1.4 is pretty sophisticated with it's detection, it knows which ones to encrypt/decrypt and which ones not to when it goes to flash, I sent a mix normal games of both US and Japanese origin, they all played so I would think anything that sophisticated could detect whether it was an SGX game or not and adjust settings accordingly. For the moment, it is treating them like it's running in PC Engine mode (runs them almost exactly like Hugo-X does, the worst emulator in existance, can't believe you played LoT on it and it ran, unless they have their issues with cue+bin fixed so you can play the games with sound that way now, dissector images other than Dracula X tend to glitch and crash, especially Dungeon Explorer II).
acem77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what i did was move the switch to the I position and not the II position.
The switch is on the back right of the supergrafx.
i was messing with it and forgot that i moved it. later i moved it back and my super grafx games worked like a charm again.
it seems position II is for native pce games. maybe for compatibility problems on a few pce/cdrom games or hardware...

Raistlin77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'd have never noticed that switch was there. Works fine now.
Raistlin77

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, and to move this to the right place, how much would you be willing to sell that Ten no Koe (or whatever it is) for, kyuusaku? Sure, I can send the Neutopia series and Order of the Griffin to the flash now so it matters less, still, my CD unit's save slots are limited. So if you still have it, let me know what you want for it.

Also, kyuusaku, there's nothing wrong with the way the MSG plays US games, it's actually a protection within the US games that made them a pain to get working initially. It's not the MSG's fault, because there's a one wire mod you have to do to a PC Engine to get US games to work on one even using a converter. Has to do with a voltage check in the US games. A change of one byte fixes it, I had the process automated within 2 days of getting my MSG. Most of that time I was looking for information. I finally found it by looking for info on why a US game hooked to a converter would fail to run on a PC Engine (a decrypted rom being the equivalent of such). When I read about the one wire mod to get around a voltage check, I realized there must be a way to hack the check (I wasn't about to open the Core Grafx and try to mod it). I had managed to get one US version of Keith Courage running before, and now I was almost certain it had been modified. So I just dumped my Keith Courage, decrypted with pcetoy and used fc /b to find the changed byte. Once I opened the location of the change with a hex editor, it seemed obvious what to look for. To test I edited it manually on Military Madness and Bloody Wolf. They worked. So then I created a generic cracker using a crack generator and called it pcehack.exe. Itt worked, so all that left me with was the need to create batch files to process all the roms at once. Still, it's great that Ucon64 can do all that stuff on the fly now. I don't have to run the conversion utils every time the good set gets updated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> PCE-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: