ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RetroPort NES to SNES

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SNES Software/Hardware Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haynor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: RetroPort NES to SNES Reply with quote

I've just spotted interesting piece of hardware and I have one question.

Does this Retroport NES to SNES support video from SNES in RGB mode?
TheShadowRunner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it doesn't, it comes with its own Composite output, at the back of the adapter.
I guess it only uses the SNES for pads and power XD
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Nintendo on a Chip (NOAC) clone or system supports RGB. I dont kbow why nobody will make an NES or SNES clone with RGB...you would think by now someone would have being that it is 2012...
TheShadowRunner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB just costs more to design, scart or multi-av out plug is (more) expensive, no suprise there ^^;
amptor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite simple why they don't. It's because SCART originally was something primarily for France in the 1980s and most equipment in the USA does not have a provision for SCART. Plus also due to that, if you ask people if they use SCART they don't even know what that means. If you ask them what DVI or HDMI is, they probably will start looking at the back of their TV set to verify that they have one.

I was amazed at some things that my 42" tv set didn't come with. SCART wasn't there but it also didn't have a built in digital tuner and there was another model that did. But when I buy a TV set, I typically look for HDMI, VGA, composite, and component. I know I can add a tuner on externally and generally speaking, a lot of TV looks like crap whether it be broadcast or digital. I know that I won't find SCART so I don't bother looking for that in a new TV.

Some of us like CRT but most people do not. We are a very niche crowd that the places manufacturing screens cannot make a lot of money off of so they generally will disregard that say, one person wants SCART while another person wants CRT so they can play zapper and guncon games. They don't care about that stuff. They are making money off of flat screens and mostly movie and modern video game consoles that have HDMI or composite/comonent jacks to use.

TheShadowRunner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCART is not a France thing, it's a EUROPE and also a JAPAN common input (although the wiring is a bit different between EURO/JAPAN plugs).

Each and every HDTV sold in Europe has at least 1 scart input (commonly 2).

Again, the reason they don't do it is to save costs, not because of lack of SCART availability reasons.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has had the right answer yet. So here it is. The NES/Famicom only outputs Composite Video from the PPU. All the clones use the same cloned PPU from a standard Famicom. There is no way to get any better video quality than Composite this way. That is why all the clones just have a Composite Video output.

In order to have a NOAC/clone that outputs RGB video or even S-Video, some R&D would be involved either to clone the Sharp Titler Famicom PPU which I believe outputs S-Video atleast, or maybe cloning the Playchoice PPU. And investing a bunch of money in that research is not something anyone will do for a cheap clone.
cpsystem3

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
No one has had the right answer yet. So here it is. The NES/Famicom only outputs Composite Video from the PPU. All the clones use the same cloned PPU from a standard Famicom. There is no way to get any better video quality than Composite this way. That is why all the clones just have a Composite Video output.

In order to have a NOAC/clone that outputs RGB video or even S-Video, some R&D would be involved either to clone the Sharp Titler Famicom PPU which I believe outputs S-Video atleast, or maybe cloning the Playchoice PPU. And investing a bunch of money in that research is not something anyone will do for a cheap clone.

I hear a team is working on a universal PPU replacement for NES/Famicom, Playchoice 10 and Nintendo VS hardware. Once that project completes, I would expect to see clone nintendo systems boasting RGB support.

The problem is, all of the RGB-modding crowd has effectively made Playchoice 10 and Nintendo VS hardware extremely rare by robbing the PPU from otherwise working boards to do the mod. A once otherwise common/cheap PCB is currently selling for $200-$250 range. Sucks when you collect the arcade side of the gaming hardware too Smile
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes in the almost year since I made that last post, it seems we are close to seeing a FPGA clone of the PPU that supports higher quality video. And I agree with you about the shame that the RGB modding crowd deserves for robbing working arcade PPUs for their RGB mods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SNES Software/Hardware Development All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: