ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Image of a Smith Corona 2.8" disk using ToToTek hardwar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegacyPWP

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Image of a Smith Corona 2.8" disk using ToToTek hardwar Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I am a librarian in New York City who is currently volunteering to help one of my colleagues attempt to recover an old ephemera database stored on 2.8" floppy disks created by a Smith Corona Word processing machine of an unknown model. While looking into the possibility of making a franken-PC attached to a 2.8" drive, I happened across this forum thread: http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=548&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0. Reading it, I got the impression that I might be able to hack together a setup using FDSLoader and a hacker international disk extender to make images of my Smith Corona disks. What so you guys think? Has /can this been done or am I missing something?

Thanks!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your disks are likely Quick Disk floppies. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_floppy_disk#Mitsumi.27s_.22Quick_Disk.22_3-inch_floppies

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/technical/quickdisk-recovery.html

The same methods to dump Famicom Disks could dump other quick disks if you manage to load them into the drive. Famicom Disks are a big differently shaped. You can modify normal quick disks to fit though.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
You can modify normal quick disks to fit though.

What is the best way to do this? Are you talking about putting the inside of the quickdisk into an FDS disk ahell?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, from what I've seen you basically tape a handle/extension on the top of the disk. It looks pretty silly, but it works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: