ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Punch Out on Game Doctor SF7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl0PPsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Super Punch Out on Game Doctor SF7 Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone could give me some advice. I'm trying to get Super Punch Out (U) running on my Super Famicom using a Game Doctor SF7 (Bios 7.1).

I've converted the rom using UCON64 and split it over 2 floppy disks. It loads and then starts but then doesnt go past the Nintendo logo. The game just seems to freeze on the logo.

I've tried a few different versions of the rom and I've also tried running the protection removal in ucon64 but its always the same result, game freezes at the start on the Nintendo logo.

Is there a trick to getting this game to run?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be having a hardware problem. Do any other games not run correctly? Did you try loading it into a different slot, such as loading it into slots C and D rather than A and B? Did you try a different console? Did you try cleaning your console's cartridge slot?
fl0PPsy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I can load other games without issue like Super Mario All Stars or EVO.

I just replaced the cartridge slot with a new one (thankfully no soldering required) which fixed all connection issues.

At the moment I dont have another console to try but thats something I'll try when I get a PAL SNES.

I'll try loading the game into slots c and d to see if that helps at all.

The more I think about it the more I think it might be the console because I have a Super UFO Pro 7 also and it does the same thing.
RealTimeSave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try copying the game onto a floppy within MS-DOS (not command line mode in Windows NT kernel operating systems) and see if that helps. I had this problem with two perfectly fine Super Wildcard DX systems and this resolved the issue for me. I was having this issue with small games such as Wild Guns where the game with randomly glitch out and freeze. Also I saw this problem with Street Fighter II Turbo for a few years and eventually even purchased the game from Ebay to see if I could trouble shoot. It turned out that if I copied the game from original genuine cartridge to SWC DX RAM, it worked perfectly fine so then I started tinkering around and found that Windows NT kernel based operating systems take full control over the FDD hardware and the copier did not like that. I have no idea why that is either because the data is fine after doing a file compare.

I copied the games using Windows XP to floppy and the copier didn't like that so I ended up copying the games under Windows 98 (Win98 comes with MS-DOS 7.0, Win98 is a GUI and MS-DOS is the o/s the gui runs under) and then the games worked fine.

MottZilla

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS has a good point. I've heard of these issues happening with writing floppies under newer versions of Windows. If you had an actual cartridge of a game that has problems to have the copier backup to a floppy it would be easy to test.

If your connector on the system is good I'm not sure the system is the problem. It could be, but I'd suspect many other games to have problems too. And ones on cartridges, not just the copier.

If possible try to find a game that has problems but you have the physical cartridge for, so you can try it both by copying the rom from your computer to floppy, and then having the copier alone copy the cartridge to floppys and see if there is any difference.

On my old Game Doctor SFIII, it had issues loading games from disks after awhile. It would appear like the games loaded fine, but many would crash or glitch because it was having trouble reading floppy disks. Either the drive was old or I've read on that specific unit the power design was poor and the floppy drive might have been suffering from that.

So as I said, if you can rule out your PC as a variable that would help.
RealTimeSave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just buy a flash cartridge and load games faster and possibly have better / more features. I only keep the floppy based ones for nostalgia and tinkering. if you want to game, you should consider getting something that is a lot more compact and modern. less issues that way. I guess I would recommend Super Ufo Pro 8 SD, though I haven't used mine. I use the sd2snes but it is quite expensive and lacking in some features. The neoflash snes myth is good as well (good quality pcb and microchips, doesn't seem as flimsy as the ufo) but their devices can be a little quirky and last time I looked they were pricey as well.

I'd recommend flash cart because these floppy copiers are old and have compatibility issues with new computers. You have to be pretty techy to get games to play on them. Flash cart is simple drag and drop for the most part.

DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Punch out has copy protection. Game Doctor does not defeat automatically. Use uCon64
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: