ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ED64 Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amptor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: ED64 Plus Reply with quote

ED64 Plus Cartridge Emulator

Wow well I didn't see this one coming and I'm probably late. I just saw this show up on Tototek shop for $99. These images are from the ED64 site of course since I don't own one.

Let's take a very quick look.

This is a clone of the EverDrive 64 and uses its menu as well as copycat name to drive its sales. It is interesting since there are no rules in the grey area / black market and names of flash cartridge products as well as hardware are cloned all the time in China. It isn't related to KRIKzz because it is sold at the SuperUFO web site like the other most recent flash cart for a different console, the Ufo Pro 8 SD for SNES. And as an update here, this is in fact manufactured by Blaze/SuperUFO.

For the sake of continuity in this post. Nothing to say here, as these instructions are very straight forward. They do vaguely give you a sense of features that this device lacks. Don't be fooled.

From reading the specifications and looking at this photo, it looks like this device uses an original cartridge's CIC chip to bypass lockout protection. KRIKzz states that this cartridge edge connector on top is only connected to the CIC circuitry, so it CANNOT dump MASK ROM from original cartridges. Don't be fooled by the ed64plus web site about features.

I thought I would just open up a small discussion on this device with this thread. To me it is interesting, but I think I will stick with the 64Drive.

Make sure to check out Tomy's ordering page if you want to acquire this.

Tototek ED64 Plus Ordering Page

Last edited by amptor on Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:52 am; edited 1 time in total
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I've heard this is a ripoff/clone of the EverDrive 64 and has no support from KRIKzz.
amptor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just found out about it and I am guessing that it possibly would be a clone because most of the new flash carts are probably very easy to copy. If these devices are cloned in the Guangdong district of China, that could quite possibly cut off a lot of $ from the price of the device too.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only a matter of time before a clone of a modern flash cart would show up. I wonder if this has any features not found in an everdrive...
amptor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would clone an N64 cart. And it sure didn't take long. I should edit the above because this cart apparantly cannot back up MASK ROM. So this device is useless in my eyes.

Still, it does use the same components found on the original EverDrive 64 so basically the quality is more or less on par. I just feel the PCB that KRIKzz uses is of better quality. This one looks cheap in photos.

It is sad, too, that for those who don't want to support the copy are actually letting the whole world know about it and also explaining where to buy.

My original intent of the OP was to support the Tototek web site only.

Now I just wonder how long Tototek will sell this product because Tomy also does sell KRIKzz products. I wonder if something will happen and this will get pulled.

Anyway... still, 64Drive for me. Everdrive64 is fine but 64Drive is better Smile (and costs 2x as much lol but oh well, you can't have your cake and eat it too)

Lastly, this just goes to show... when your device uses a bare minimum of solid state components, it makes it that much VERY EASY to clone and pirate all your shit. Think of it this way, is there a clone of the sd2snes? Hmm actually there are clones but not in the China market there isn't Wink Nobody over there is producing it because it is expensive any way you look at it Very Happy

pps - why the fuck am I still stuck on this old nickname... rhetorical question.

MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately you are right that unless you take steps to prevent it, copying can certainly be a problem. I think you're right that SD2SNES is expensive to make and I don't see pirates being interested. Similarly I don't think they'd try to clone the Mega EverDrive.

People should support KRIKzz projects by buying his products. He's made so many awesome flash carts and it's sad to see people trying to take advantage of his Research & Development investment.
amptor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that I believe people should try to support bSNES and sd2snes teams with donations as well. I haven't seen any progress on SA1 or FX after all. (this I'm mentioning because of KRIKzz/sd2snes manufacturing)

On topic though, I was amazed that nobody cloned the NeoFlash N64 product, as it has been out the longest. Well that and the V64 Jr. I think the V64 Jr would be the easiest to clone, though it isn't a flash cart. I probably have all the RAM it needs from old computers.

I think if there was a clone of the NeoFlash product, not as many people would complain. However there would be an uproar at the NeoFlash forum due to the fact that it is an open sourced community project, unlike the KRIKzz stuff. There's more people involved.

If this clone 64Drive remains at the $99 price point I don't believe it will sell very well. But if SuperUFO/Blaze gets bulk quantities of all the parts involved, of course the price could drop. That is only going to happen if they manufacture a huge batch of them and imo I don't think it is going to be popular enough of a product in China for that. Most Chinese people want the latest technology and will just load up Mario Kart 64 on their iPhone or Galaxy III. We'll probably eventually just see dead stock vendors are trying to get rid of.

amptor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as I suspected, I already found a site that sells this for less than $80. It is the same site that sells the UFO Pro 8 SD for under $60. so this product definitely is cheaper than any competator. I expect this device to show up on ebay within a month or two.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I for one am intersted in this device. THe price is right. No freakin upgrades from 50.00usd usb drive. The Neo device I have pisses me off that I need to upgrade the CPLD but 50.00usd from a 5.00 usb drive and standard ribon cables is just hard for me to do and not feel like im just throwing money out the window. I also have hte SNES NEO myth so I guess im gonna just have to bite the bullet and upgrade them and probably sell them as a set. Ive had so many N64 copiers that I really dont even care to play the games but my step son wants to play pokemon like nobodies buisness and with the CPLD v0.0 it will not save ANY game but it will run everything.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone confirm conkers Bad Fur Day and pokemon stadium 2 save files working on the ED64?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official EverDrive 64 should save in both of those games.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... was just looking at the price but I think the official is the way to go.
daleeyre82

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys anyboy know where I can get the latest firmware for this? I don't have PC with cdrom and the manufacturer site seems to be down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: