ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restoring a SPF16...the new challenge!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it could help Wink

Actually I leave the spot empty on most of my copiers now. If you switch off and on the console then save data, there's little chance that the data is missing or corrupted.
An alternative is just to put a 16V 1000uF in place of the battery, it will hold a charge long enough to save your data. This is what CCL did in most of its late series.
srepmub

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also just acquired an SPF16, which doesn't boot (removed the not-so-leaky battery, SRAM, DRAM, floppy drive..). so I'm working on it, but when I saw the photos you posted here, I was wondering: do you know what the U8 IC is for, since my SPF only has an empty socket there..? thanks a lot!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, U8 is the CIC and if it's missing it's most likely the cause of your problem.
Luckily it's easy to get from a SNES cartridge : D411 for NTSC and D413 for PAL.

First try to see if it boots up just inserting a cart with the same region as your console on top of the copier.
srepmub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you so much for this, indeed it works with a cartridge on top! Smile

so I guess someone swapped out the chip at some point, to repair another copier.. ?

it feels great to have this old copier working again.. !! you made my week, thanks so much again!!
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it works Smile

Someone could have taken the chip or maybe it was never there. Those machines were sold to PAL and NTSC territories, this is why they use a socket on this IC. As the lines are connected directly to the CIC pins, using a cart on top gives the same results.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: