ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

problems with MD-PRO 64 Flash Kit

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kawalrhode

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: problems with MD-PRO 64 Flash Kit Reply with quote

I received mr MD-PRO flash kit today. I have become very frustrated trying to get it to work however and was hoping that someone could help me since Tototek have not replied to my emails. The flash card came with some preinstalled games and I can verify that most of these worked fine on my PAL megadrive. However, when I connect the flash card to the PC I always get "NO CARD FOUND". I have checked the parallel cable, verified that 5V is present on the USB cable, set my parallel port to EPP, and checked the parallel port address. Can anybody help ???????? Please. Crying or Very sad
Suppafly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try it on different computers first!
kawalrhode

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried it on two computer already with no luck. Any more advice ?
Tongueman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Problems Reply with quote

I had the same problems with my flash cart for the MD and for the SMS. Try this: Reboot your computer, plug in the MD-programmer & flash cart and turn on the programmer. Then start the DreamWriter software. Does it detect it now?

I found that if I program my flash cart, then remove it and try to program it again, the software can't detect it. I have to reboot each time I want to program it.
kawalrhode

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tongueman, thanks for the suggestion. I have tried what you said but still I cannot get the software to recognise the flash card. One thing I did notice is if I copy the contents of the flash card to the PC, the software writes a 160Kb file which when booted using an emulator shows the multiboot screen. So the PC can read the card although it only reads the first few Kb. I think I am going to send the card back to Tototek now cos I have wasted several days now trying to get it to work.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell what is your CPU speed/brand, chipset, mother board ? Thank you.
mr-monday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try changing the speed settings of the printer port in the Dreamwriter software. I have to change mine to the second from the left, close and reopen the program, then my card is detected.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

problem solved ?
acem77

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try a diff printer port option from your pcs bios. thats what i had to do to get it to work.
carts pluged in right, switch is on? it can be a little thing ..
try a few more pcs. cant hurt
what is your os 9X, 2000, xp

kawalrhode
what would you sell it for. i am sure it will work.
there is no for sure easy way to get this stuff to work on every pc.
its the nature of the beast. i have a sf7. it works great from one pc but not one option will get it working good for a diff pc. but on that pc everying else i have works great, md-pro,mgd2,neogeo pocket flash, gba flash,
kawalrhode

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: no luck at all Reply with quote

Ok - thanks for everybody's help with this problem. I have now tried everything that has been mentioned and a few others. I have also tried on 6 different PCs now. Still not working. Tomy, I have no option but to return it to you so that you can take a look. I have been away for a week hence I have not replied to messages but I will now send this back to Tomy and hope that he can let me have one that works.
dbjh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: no luck at all Reply with quote

Last resort: uCON64? http://ucon64.sourceforge.net. I don't expect it will work, but you'll never know until you try. Warning: command line tool (frontend is finally making progress).
kawalrhode

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: re: UCON64 Reply with quote

Well, UCON64 worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy. Thanks dbjh for the suggestion. I just don't know why the Tototek software failed.

Anyway, can anybody tell me if UCON64 can support multiroms and more than 32M ?
dbjh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: re: UCON64 Reply with quote

kawalrhode wrote:
Well, UCON64 worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very happy. Thanks dbjh for the suggestion.

Nice to hear that :-) You're very welcome.

kawalrhode wrote:
I just don't know why the Tototek software failed.

Me neither. It's very strange, because uCON64 contains the ported code of DreamWriter. DreamWriter is written in Delphi, uCON64 is written in C. The only explanation I have is that perhaps the I/O drivers used by DreamWriter are too slow.

kawalrhode wrote:
Anyway, can anybody tell me if UCON64 can support multiroms and more than 32M ?

Sure. That 32 Mbit limit for dumping is just the result of me being lazy. Since there are flash cards of 32 Mbit and of 64 Mbit I decided to just limit the the maximum size uCON64 will read so that it won't crash or otherwise do perhaps bad things to 32 Mbit flash cards. If ToToTEK (probably Leo) would provide me with enough information how to differentiate between a 32 Mbit flash card and a 64 Mbit flash card then I could add some code to uCON64 so that it can dump 64 Mbits. However, it seems that exactly the detection code of DreamWriter is causing problems for many people. Another solution is to add yet another option to uCON64 to tell it how much should be read from a flash card.

uCON64 can create a multirom for your MD-PRO. You should use the option -multi for that. You need a loader binary though. You can download it from the homepage.
Creating a multirom (for a 64 Mbit flash card) can be done with a command like this:
Code:
ucon64 -multi=64 mdpacku4.zip game1.smd game2.mgd game3.bin mymultirom

Then you can send it with:
Code:
ucon64 -xmd mymultirom

The strange game information you see is caused by the fact that Leo did not use the usual locations to store info about the loader.
Some games check on what kind of system they run and need special handling. You can use the switch -region for that. Say game1.smd runs only on PAL systems while you have a Genesis (NTSC). You could use the following command:
Code:
ucon64 -multi=64 mdpacku4.zip game1.smd game2.mgd game3.bin mymultirom -region=2

But usually it's better to use 'x' as argument for -region. So:
Code:
ucon64 -multi=64 mdpacku4.zip game1.smd game2.mgd game3.bin mymultirom -region=x

I hope this information will be of help. Like I wrote before, a frontend is in the works which will make some of these operations a bit easier.
kawalrhode

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: ucon64 Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all the tips. I have tried it all out and it works fine - just been enjoying Alien Soldier and Panorama Cotton !

Very Happy
Suppafly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad theres one more happy tototek customer.

Topic closed!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: