ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom remaped Joypad Converters?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Hardware Converter things
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rouken

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:20 am    Post subject: Custom remaped Joypad Converters? Reply with quote

I have a request to Tomy.

I'm very interested about the Joypad Converters for Sega Saturn and NeoGeo. It's because I want to make two arcade joysticks using a pair of PS2 joysticks. With this, I can use these arcade sticks in my Sega Saturn, and my consolized Hyper NeoGeo 64 too.

But I need to ask you two things: It's possible to you remap the button layout of the converters? And it's possible to remove the Auto-Fire / Slow Motion function and put "Hotkeys" instead? If the answers are "yes", I'll ask to a friend of mine to buy a pair of customized converters for Sega Saturn and NeoGeo for me.

There's the formation of the button layout of my custom PS2 Arcade joystick:
(Select) (Start)
(■) (▲) (L1) (L2)
(X) (O) (R1) (R2)

That's the formation for my remaped Sega Saturn Joypad Converter:
(------) (Start)
(X) (Y) (Z) (L)
(A) (B) (C) (R)

That's the formation for my remaped NeoGeo Joypad Converter:
(Select) (Start)
(A) (B) (AB) (ABC)
(C) (D) (CD) (BC)
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

About your remaped NeoGeo Converter :

What is (AB)(CD)(ABC)(BC) ?

Yes, I can help to remap the buttons for you. But need some time. And auto fire function may remove.
rouken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answer Tomy. Tell me when I can get then, please. Then the "custom converters" be ready, I will ask Macck from "Arcade Mods Brasil" to get then to me. For any doubt about my button layout, ask me, please.

Tomy wrote:
What is (AB)(CD)(ABC)(BC) ?

(AB), etc..., are the specification for "Button A + Button B at the same time", so...
AB = Button A + Button B
CD = Button C + Button D
ABC = Button A + Button B + Button C
BC = Button B + Button C

I thing "hotkeys"/"shortcuts" are better then auto-fire, slow motiom or any other function. After all, I don't need them.
rouken

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomy... I want to know if there's something about the "custom converters". I want to use my arcades as soon as possible. If you have something about it, let me know, please.
rouken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomy... I'm still waiting about my request. To make your work easier, I'm putting some pics about how I want my converters.

My Sega Saturn Layout

Summarizing...
PS's Start = Sat's Start
PS's Select = DISABLED (no use)
PS's = Sat's X
PS's = Sat's Y
PS's L1 = Sat's Z
PS's L2 = Sat's L
PS's X = Sat's A
PS's O = Sat's B
PS's R1 = Sat's C
PS's R2 = Sat's R

My NeoGeo Layout

Summarizing...
PS's Start = NG's Start
PS's Select = NG's Select
PS's = NG's A
PS's = NG's B
PS's L1 = NG's A+B
PS's L2 = NG's A+B+C
PS's X = NG's C
PS's O = NG's D
PS's R1 = NG's C+D
PS's R2 = NG's B+C

I hope I could be clear in my ideas. I'm waiting for your answer.
rouken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for Tomy's answer about the custom remaped Joypad Converters I asked to you some time ago. Hey Tomy... If you have something done, please, make me know to buy them. I'm waiting to use them as soon as possible.
ZalmoxisX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently own and use 3 of the PSX to Saturn adapters, but I too would love a different button layout. I would buy 3 more if they had the following layout that would work perfectly with X Arcade and PS2 Hori arcade sticks. The current layout doesn't work too well with capcom fighting games as they won't let you map regular punch and kick attacks to the L and R bumpers.

X Arcade / Hori Arcade PRO V2 layout

X = A
O = B
R2 = C
■ = X
▲ = Y
R1 = Z
L1 = L
L2 = R
Cytor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too:)

I'll buy 2 Neogeo-Playstation converters with this mapping

A=square
B= X
C= circle
D= triangle
START=START
SELECT=SELECT
R1,R2,R3,L1,L2,L3 do nothing

and others 2 with this

A=square
B=triangle
C=R1
D=X
START=START
SELECT=SELECT

and 2 Megadrive-Playstation converters:

A=X
B=circle
C=R2
X=square
Y=triangle
Z=R1
START=START
MODE=SELECT
Nori

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tomy,

Do you still offer custom remapped orders?

I would like to buy two Neo Geo adapters for PS2 controllers using this setup:

Would this be possible? I also sent an email.

Thank you.

NeoGeo original.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.98 KB
 Viewed:  12271 Time(s)

NeoGeo original.jpg

tripletopper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people use the same fight sticks controls. I use a PS2/Xbox Street Fighter anniversary stick. I hard wire flipped the control for right handed play, (one of the few off the shelf joysticks that can work for right-stickers) and before flipping it, was wired as

[] ^ R1 L1
X O R2 L2

Which I believe is the same as aforementioned Hori.

Flipped it's:
L1 R1 ^ []
L2 R2 O X

Now all my other non-Tototek adapters for systems NEWER than PS2, except my PS2 to Game Cube, map properly without fiddling with the buttons.

So hard wiring the joystick once for right handed works near universally. And even the Game cube adapter has issues for left stickers anyway, so it's not unique to me.

The Genesis and Saturn don't currently map right to a fight stick (left button)

A X Z Y
B C ? ?

A X Z Y
B C L R

Should be:

X Y Z ?
A B C ?

X Y Z L
A B C R

With an obvious hard wire reversal for my right stick making it

? Z Y X
? C B A

L Z Y X
R C B A

But Tototek doesn't have to compensate for it. I already did.

Even though I don't have a Neo Geo, maybe it should map to either "pad mode", which is what's current, and stick mode which is

? ? ? ?
A B C D

As to what the other buttons should be, leave them blank. If you want to press 2, 3, or 4 buttons together, for the purposes of tournaments, you should press them manually together.

Let's see if there are other people wanting this type of remapping.
tripletopper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: The final solution to remapping requests: Reply with quote

I noticed a few things. The default mapping are only good for either about 50% of the people in 100% of the games or for 100% of the people in 50% of the games.

Some may want a run and (either jump or gun) on the SNES game fight stick adapter where Y and B on SNES for Mario, Mega Man,and their ilk, are moved to Xbox A and B, but pad players prefer X and A on the same Xbox pad. (I know you use Playstation controls, but the button configurations are to hard to remember and type and may confuse people. That's the ONLY system where I have to look on my control pad to see what button I'm pressing. Every other controller had some logic to the naming scheme that's easy to memorize.)

Even outside the standard, how do you accommodate 2x2 arrangement into 2x3 grids for Saturn and Genesis, you have to use 2 shoulder buttons, but different PS2 joysticks had different button arrangements.

I don't know who decided the standard, but the Genesis standard is awful for me.

There are 2 thinks I can do about it, I could hire Tomy to build a custom adapter to my liking. but there are 2 faults with it. 1) it may cost extra money per adapter, and 2 if there's a game with no button select, I hmay have to buy a differently mapped one for the same system.

Or I can let Tomy "borrow" my suggestion, and if a lot of people like, let Tomy hear you.

There's probably one thing all Tototek adpaters have in common. They all have a Playstation controller. And that comes in handy. There are converters for it for both older and younger systems than a PS2. Out of 21 different video game consoles I own, all but 4 can be converter from a PS2 controller to that system, and that's if you count daisy chaining, and compatible systems.

I've got a secret. There is an Alloy Stick for the Dreamcast, which advertises button macros. Later they made a PS2 version called the Shoadow Blade. I tried programming a dragon punch for a left and right movement, just to do it. I've also swapped the norrth with south and the east with west, and filped punches and kicks, and got myself a right-handed fight stick, (not necessarilly the most ergonomic right-handed fight stick, but this is proof of concept that swapping directions and buttons onto something like a Street Fighter 15th Anniversary PS2 Fight stick would work beautifully. I hard wired it, and it worked.

I WOULD use that in my twitch streams once I get enough bandwidth to start, BUT SOME WOULD CONSIDER THAT CHEATING if they knew the base model stick I gutted was a Shadowblade. Plus there a de-programming error when pressing the analog button.

So if a joystick can be hard wired with this technology, then why can't an external box whihc takes a PS2 input and a PS2 output be used> MAyflash came close, ut there were two problems. One was that 2 buttons were unremappable te other was there was no evident way to show you were not cheating.

So to appeal to the Twitch Gamer, the Fighting Game community, the Twin Galaxies World Records department, and other who insist o the sport of video gaming, as well as those who want the upper hand against the CPU at all costs, maybe there needs to be cheat features, but at the same time, evidence built into the device that there COULD be cheating features, but all of them can be shown to be turned off by LED lights. So no one can get away with "my light doesn't work" the most honest options would always have the light ON. So if a bulb breaks, you have to fix it before competition, because the no-cheat evidence is not evident.

Describing the Honesty lights, one would be for No Macros, or one joystick press equalling multiples of simultaneous and/or sequential buttons and/or joystick directions.

Another would be One-To-One Mode, where each of the buttons are all mapped to unique buttons, no duplicates.

Another would be No Rapid Fire.

Another would be Cardinal scrubbers On. There's 3 modes, red, which is good for Atari Track N field and similar games, where it's intended to hit left and right together sometimes. One is Opposite, or green, for opposite cardinals only, for making hitboxes legal in fighting games where opposite cardinals help you artificially in cross-ups and charges, and one is white, or all cardinals. This is for 4-way games that have errors using an 8 way stick and don't have a mechanical 4/8 way limiter, the most notorious of which are 2-4 Atari 5200 games that don't work right with an 8-way digital.

If there are other features needed to show you are not cheating, then I'd like to see them, and add those as options too.

Every button and digital joystick should be programmable. Even the digitial D-Pad on a fight stick could be used to represent an analog stick on a game like Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii, which ONLY lets you use an analog stick, but the game doesn't control in an analog manner and fight stick don't normally actuate analog controls.

get something like an SD or SD micro card, and insert it for the operating system of the joystick adapter. Programming would be like adding a screen an overlay on a VCR satellite box or simialr electronics. For composite and Component games add a barrel connector to the Yellow video or the Component Green Luma. Becuase of this dual use, the overlay is monochrome. On HDMI add to a male HDMI on one end and female on the other. The wire runs the display, and if you press a button on the device itself, a black and white onscreen menu appears on part of the screen. Defaults to black text on white background for HDMI and White letters on black background on CRT TV, because CRTs use less energy with blacks and LCDs use less energy with whites. An S-Video barrel adapter can be used too for S-Video games. I guess a more creative solution would have to be used for RF ONLY systems, like Atari, Bally, Mattel, Coleco, and others. That's way above my pay grade.

Finally that would mean that a leftie can use my Street fighter joystick. So if you have a small-by-today's-standards $5 memory card, you can program, store, and recall hundreds of formations, to be generous. Some can be system specific, some can be game-type specific. Some can even be specific to one frequently used oddball title.

That would also make your future adapters cheaper by not having to program in rapid fire as buttons on some controller adapters. It would just be a straight wiring.

If you bought one custom adapter, you'd probably add $5 for one custom wiring job. Then if you want a different wiring for the same system, that would cost another adapter price + another $5 if the default map isn't used. If this circuit can be built for $20US or less, this would solve a lot of people's problems. It could be paid for by savings in rapid fire technology individually on each adapter and is instead in one universal place. It would solve the custom mapping labor. Plus if you get it wrong, you're not stuck with it. It would solve the rapid fire circuit and make it available for all consoles. It would be welcomed more on tournaments and for Twin Galaxies. It would help those who need the extra help. It would help people right-hand their fight sticks without opening their joysticks.

Maybe it's powerful enough to turn a 6-button Genesis controller into a 3-button one for those few Genesis games that get ruined with 6 buttons, or a 2 button Master System button, for those few Master System games that get ruined by either a 6-buttton or a 3-button.

Heck, maybe it can also by software turn a Genesis adapter into a Colecovision adapter, an Atari 7800 Adapter, and Intellivision Adapter, an Atari 2600 adapter, and a Bally Astrocade (joystick and trigger only) adapter, you just need a Y-adapter to plug in either an original keyboard for those systems with keypads, or a generic 15 key keypad. Also with the programmer, if you added Atari 5200, Colecovision, Jaguar, and Intellivision, you can have access to keypad buttons as main buttons on an 8 button PS2 stick or pad.

Just want to hear votes, would individually catering to needs one at a time be better, or would solving them all at once be better?

Last 2 things. 1) Why no US NES controller adapter? 2) Can you do the 3DO adapter right with two 9-pin plugs, one male, one female, for daisy chaining these controllers together. What happens if 2 Tototek people fight each other in Street Fighter 2 Turbo for 3DO? One of them will be sorely disappointed. You may even have a fight before the game as to who is Player 2 and can use their Tototek 3DO adapter. I'm seriously in the market for one because my current SNES-> 3DO adapter doesn't work with Pataank, the only 3DO game I specifically ordered by title on ebay and was not a thrift store find or part of a garage sale lot.

By the way the SNES-> 3DO adapter is a UFO 3D Zero brand adapter. If it doesn't work for Pataank, will it not work for other games?

Finally, this should work with all adapters going to both younger and older systems, as well as chaining to other systems, like Brooks' Xbox One/PS4, Edladdin's 7800, Raphnet's N64 and NES adapters too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Hardware Converter things All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: