ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transfer via parallel port with ucon64 using a Raspberry Pi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorQue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Transfer via parallel port with ucon64 using a Raspberry Pi Reply with quote

Hey,

just wanted to let you people know that there's now a working parallel port implementation available using the GPIO pins of the Raspberry Pi. I just finished building Jim Garlick's adapter yesterday and successfully read a cartridge with a GB-Xchanger and sent ROMs to my GDSF7.

Here's the link: https://github.com/garlick/pi-parport

You need to build v2 of his hardware, compile ucon64 with ppdev support (./configure --enable-ppdev), load the drivers according to readme and everything should work.

For sure nice being able to use the old copiers with a parallel port again, after not owning a PC that had one for the past 15 years or so. Smile
dbjh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool story! Thanks for sharing. Am I correct in understanding that that parallel port implementation only supports SPP, not EPP? Is the version of uCON64 you are using just the plain-vanilla SVN version or are patches required before it compiles for Raspberry Pi?
NorQue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy that it works, you won't believe it. Smile

It's plain vanilla out-of-the-box SVN ucon64, no patch required. Ucon64 falls back to SPP mode, I'm not sure if pi-parport supports ECP or EPP yet.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's really awesome! I'd give it a try as I can probably compile Ucon64, but unfortunately I don't have the necessary hardware skills to assemble the hat for the pi.

It would be interesting to see if an LCD could somehow be paired with this. Then you could select ROMS on the LCD and directly send them via Parallel port to your copier.
NorQue

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board can be ordered from OSHPark, the only problem was soldering the SSOP chip and that was being taken care of with the help of my local hackerspace. If you have something like that near you just contact them, if they're anything like mine they're happy to help. Turns out soldering these tiny pins is much easier than I thought.

I made three boards and still have one left over that I might give away, that depends on how the experiments this weekend turn out.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today just have time to fix register problem on the forum. Wow, just saw this post, it is great !! And ucon64 supported it Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: