ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wild Card DX DRAM error

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnotgninnep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Super Wild Card DX DRAM error Reply with quote

Hi everyone, got a super wild card dx the other day. I know I'm way too late to the party but I've not long got my first SNES and I absolutely LOVE it.

Anyway, the SWC DX boots fine, I've ordered a new battery as it had a lovely beard of doom on it. No lasting damage but I've clipped it out for now and cleaned up the affected bit of board. I've loaded a couple of games and then run some tests. The floppy drive passes, the SRAM passes but the DRAM runs through and then says ERROR 16M. It's reporting 32M. I'm keen to get this beast back into shape. Any thoughts on what to do now? So far I've re-seated the RAM board but that's about it.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card DX DRAM error Reply with quote

mnotgninnep wrote:
Hi everyone, got a super wild card dx the other day. I know I'm way too late to the party but I've not long got my first SNES and I absolutely LOVE it.

Anyway, the SWC DX boots fine, I've ordered a new battery as it had a lovely beard of doom on it. No lasting damage but I've clipped it out for now and cleaned up the affected bit of board. I've loaded a couple of games and then run some tests. The floppy drive passes, the SRAM passes but the DRAM runs through and then says ERROR 16M. It's reporting 32M. I'm keen to get this beast back into shape. Any thoughts on what to do now? So far I've re-seated the RAM board but that's about it.

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but here's a bump. Smile

Also, I was curious which battery you used to replace your original leaky one.

I am still using my original SWC DX from 1994 and it works great, but I noticed a few years back that the battery was not in the best shape. Since it was still working (22 years and counting) and not leaking on anything except itself, I covered it in a think layer of hot glue. I'm not sure if this will stop the leaking or even help keep it from eating through, but a few years later and it's still contained. I'd still like to handle this properly though.

Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card DX DRAM error Reply with quote

SpooNMan wrote:

Sorry I can't help with your problem, but here's a bump. Smile

Also, I was curious which battery you used to replace your original leaky one.

I am still using my original SWC DX from 1994 and it works great, but I noticed a few years back that the battery was not in the best shape. Since it was still working (22 years and counting) and not leaking on anything except itself, I covered it in a think layer of hot glue. I'm not sure if this will stop the leaking or even help keep it from eating through, but a few years later and it's still contained. I'd still like to handle this properly though.

Simplest thing to do is to replace the battery with a capacitor, 16V 1000uF.
That's what they did in later Pro fighter revisions.
It will hold a charge long enough for you to switch the unit OFF/ON and save the sram on a floppy
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card DX DRAM error Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:

It will hold a charge long enough for you to switch the unit OFF/ON and save the sram on a floppy

Thanks for the reply
So would this work for me?

http://www.amazon.com/1000uf-Capacitor-High-Radial-Leads/dp/B004O21PPE

I've really only done basic soldering work and don't know much about capacitor or battery replacement.

Do you have any pictures on how the capacitor would fit in place of the battery? If I remember correctly the longer pin is the (+) and the shorter is the (-), but I'm not sure how it is on the SWC DX mobo.

Also, is this perfectly safe? As in not shorting anything out on the SWC DX (or my Super Magic Drive). I'd hate to have them both working great for this long and do something to screw then up now.

Here is how my SWC DX looked before cleaning up the battery leakage and covering in a layer of hot glue.
http://videogameobsession.com/videogame/hk/SWC/SWC_DX3201_Copier-09.jpg

And on my Super Magic Drive.
I can clearly see the (+) (-) marked in this one.
http://videogameobsession.com/videogame/hk/SMD/SMD800%20Copier-07.jpg
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is good, a capacitor negative pole is aligned with the white band.

No risk, worse case scenario you mix up + and -, the capacitor blows but nothing will be damaged on your copier
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
That link is good, a capacitor negative pole is aligned with the white band.

No risk, worse case scenario you mix up + and -, the capacitor blows but nothing will be damaged on your copier

Awesome. Thanks man!

--

Unrelated question, but I wasn't getting any answers on the other thread...

Do you happen to know what the 01-04-96 SWC DX BIOS can do that my 10/14/1994 can't?

If it's worthwhile I'm guessing it can be burned to an EEPROM and replaced without too much fuss?

catmando

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card DX DRAM error Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Do you think this will be OK, considering the battery is only rated at 3.6V?
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card DX DRAM error Reply with quote

catmando wrote:
Mystic_Merlin wrote:

Do you think this will be OK, considering the battery is only rated at 3.6V?

Capacitor voltage rating has nothing to do with battery voltage.
On a capacitor it's the maximum voltage it can take before it blows up.
In this configuration, the capacitor builds up a current charge and holds it for a certain amount of time after you switch off the machine. The reason for this choice of cap is that the bigger it is, the longer it holds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: