ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parallel Port transfer in 2019, including Double Pro Fighter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Parallel Port transfer in 2019, including Double Pro Fighter Reply with quote

Hello guys,

Since I've been testing quite a few things regarding parallel port transfer lately I thought I'd share my experiences with you.

First of all, if you don't have a parallel port on your PC, you can get one of these:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RS232-RS-232-Serial-Port-COM-DB25-Printer-Parallel-Port-LPT-to-PCI-Card-Adapter-Converter/32664599213.html

It's working perfectly on my Win7x64 machine

dbjh has added a lot of new features on the latest revisions of uCON64. One of the great thing regarding parallel transfer is a DOSBox build:
http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/
Not only does it let you safely use all the obsolete DOS softwares from the old scene but it also supports parallel transfer.
It will require a bit of configuration though so make sure to read the docs and try the different drivers available.
Transfer and operation will be a bit slower than native DOS but that's totally normal.

Regarding parallel transfer on the Double Pro Fighter (DPF), let me first send a big thanks to Tomy as I could resume testing with my adapter,
which you can purchase here:
http://www.tototek.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8_11&products_id=112

First thing you need to know about transfer on the DPF is that while it's working great on the SNES side, it's way more finicky on the MD side.
SNES transfer works pretty much with any software, including the official SDL attached below and uCON64.
MD transfer, as I was able to test it so far, only works with the official MDL attached below.

MD transfer only supports transfer up to 24M.
MD transfer is about twice slower than SNES transfer.
MD Transfer works with the uCON64 DOSBox build+MDL

For some reason, transfer might work a few times then freezes only to be working again the next day... I've tried everything from resetting PC/MD/ cart/cable... nothing can explain this unreliability.

Last but not least I'd like to mention another great alternative solution provided by NorQue using a RPi:
http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7091
I haven't tested it myself but reports with several types of copier so far are good.

CCSE-SEN.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  CCSE-SEN.zip
 Filesize:  30 KB
 Downloaded:  349 Time(s)

Bishop702

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just wanted to add to your great review. I have been testing out my DPF over covid time and just picked up a boxed DPF with the DPFx case. I like testing on atleast 2 copiers. I use a DELL Inspiron 600d laptop on bi-directional interface (EPP is prefered but does work with this laptop) running dual boot win98 and xp.
So you can SEND 32mb files to SEGA side BUT they have to be split into 4mb pieces. Anything greater then 24mb has to be split into 4mb parts.
For exmple for others: 32mb = (split into)8 4mb files. You can use ucon64 to due this.
I was also able (USING WIN98SE OS) to send the files with GTOOL,SegaTool,MDL,and I think SU worked with files split also.

Hope this help, works on both DPFs. Dell 600Ds have a removable floppy for the drive bay that reads and formats 1.6 disks, and they run xp and 98 no problem, and they are cheap. Good for copiers

Happy New Year
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your update Bishop, very helpful. I'll give it a try when I can Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: