ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MGD1 and Gotek?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conceitedjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: MGD1 and Gotek? Reply with quote

I've been out of the loop for several years - has anyone ever gotten a Gotek drive to work with the MGD1 in place of the external 3.5 floppy?
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently working on an "easy" solution for copiers using Gotek with Flash Floppy, an oled display and a rotary encoder.

I've been able to use fast loading 12Mb and 11Mb IMG/IMA floppy images on PF, GD, SWC...

The MGD2 uses also a specific format, FU (U=Ultra I guess), of 1756kb which consists of 18x512bx2 + 11x1024bx2x79 = 1,798,144b = 1756kb that the GDSF7 can also read but I was unable to recreate those, unless I was using HFE which is quite slow at the time I tested it.
Full thread here:
https://github.com/keirf/FlashFloppy/issues/134

I don't recall what format the MGD1 is using but try to make a HFE dump and see how it goes with Flash Floppy.
conceitedjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might yet play around with it. All I have at the moment is a bare MGD1 and floppy adapter, no cables or cart adapters. This would certainly give me an excuse to finally do something with it, just not certain I'd want to spend the money on cables and cart adapters. I'll sleep on it, it'd be nice to give back to the community... or the 4-5 people still using an MGD1 for anything other than backing up FDS disks Wink
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mystic_Merlin,

Thank you for support tototek forum so long time Very Happy

Gotek drive have different model. Which one is the best to use FlashFloppy ? Thanks.
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomy wrote:
Hi Mystic_Merlin,

Gotek drive have different model. Which one is the best to use FlashFloppy ? Thanks.

Thanks for keeping it alive Tomy, still the most resourceful forum on the topic Very Happy

The Gotek I'm using is the SFR1M44-U100K but I believe they should all work.
Easiest way to get it going once you installed the firmware is to create a 1.44MB floppy image with WinImage then drag your .SMC, .FIG...file in it

PS: I contacted you a while ago regarding a new PEEL for my DPF parallel adapter, please PM me so we can follow up Wink
ackman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic_Merlin wrote:
Tomy wrote:
Hi Mystic_Merlin,

Thanks for keeping it alive Tomy, still the most resourceful forum on the topic Very Happy

The Gotek I'm using is the SFR1M44-U100K but I believe they should all work.
Easiest way to get it going once you installed the firmware is to create a 1.44MB floppy image with WinImage then drag your .SMC, .FIG...file in it

PS: I contacted you a while ago regarding a new PEEL for my DPF parallel adapter, please PM me so we can follow up Wink

Hi Mystic_Merlin,

Two questions you maybe can answer:
Do you need to flash the firmware of the Gotek for using it with a Double Pro Fighter?
What is the position of the Gotek jumpers for a Double Pro Fighter?

Thanks in advance
Mystic_Merlin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ackman,

You don't need to flash Flash Floppy on the Gotek to work on the DPF but I highly recommend it.
Flash Floppy came a long way and supports lots of formats and configurations that the stock firmware does not.
Major advantages for copiers: support 1.44MB and 1.6MB fast loading, just drag and drop your IMG files, unlimited files, display the name of the game when browsing on you USB key.

The floppy configuration is standard IBM PC so DS1, only the MGH needs DS0 AFAIK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: