ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question regarding N64 ROM sizes and copiers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Question regarding N64 ROM sizes and copiers Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

I've got a quick question, that's probably very basic and easy to answer, regarding N64 rom sizes:

I know they vary from 4MB (32mbit) to 64MB (512mbit).

My question is regarding rom hacks that I'd like to play on original hardware.

If I were to apply a patch to an existing rom (eg SuperMario64, which is originally a 8MB/64mbit rom and the rom file size becomes larger after patching (say 60MB), does the new file size directly translate to a 512mbit rom, which can not be loaded by some copiers, so I'd need a copier that's able to play 512mbit roms?

Would sound quite logical to me mathematically, but just wanted to be sure as I don't know anything about the technicalities of N64 cartridge size and copiers Smile

Thanks for helping out!
NorQue

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It... depends, I guess. If you're really set on getting an old school N64 copier then you won't be able to play games >256MBit/32MByte, no matter what, unless you get a Doctor V64 Jr 512 MBit. If that hack is bigger than 32MByte patched you won't be able to load it on one of those.

But these copiers are becoming rather rare nowadays, cost a bit of money and are *really* complicated to use, so I don't think you'll be happy with one of them, anyways. If I was you I'd rather get a more modern N64 flash cart like an Everdrive or one of its countless clones that are available on Aliexpress. These can load games straight from SD card and are all compatible with 512 MBit games, so most likely they will also load your oversized ROM hacks, at least as long as those ROM hacks were made with real hardware in mind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: