ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

uCON64 not able to flash multiple games to PCE PRO?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> PCE-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bast525

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: uCON64 not able to flash multiple games to PCE PRO? Reply with quote

Got my PCE PRO today. Works great with Magic Writer, except one thing, it always makes the roms bigger on the flash cart then they are on my hard drive, by a lot... so I can fit less games on the cart. For instance, in Magic Writer when I highlight a game, it will say it is 5mb, but then when I click the add button to put it on the list of games to flash, it will show as 6mb.

But then I try uCON, and it does not seem to have this problem... it seems to put the roms by their actual size, so saves a lot of room and allows me to put more games.

BUT... for some reason I cannot get it to work. When I have it make the multi game file, and it asks for the boot file and I point it to pceboot.pce, it makes the file but says: "WARNING: D:\pceboot.pce does not appear to be a PC-Engine ROM" and "WARNING: Are you sure D:\pceboot.pce is a loader binary?" about pceboot.pce. Then when I flash the multigame file that it created, and try to play, all I get is a white screen.

If I use uCON to only flash one game (non multigame, no loader), it works fine.

I have messed with the settings in the override options, and when I set the option to "File has no header" then the boot menu will work and would come up listing the games, but then when I pick a game nothing happens it just resets and stays at the menu. So changing the header options fixes the menu but breaks the games Sad I have tried all of the header options (file has a header, file has a header of xxx bytes, file has no header) nothing works.

So... I'm stuck... I dont know why uCON is giving the error about the pceboot.pce file, when magic writer uses it just fine, but I rather use uCON since it lets me fit 10-12 games instead of 6-8 with magic writer!! Can anyone help me please?
dbjh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: uCON64 not able to flash multiple games to PCE PRO? Reply with quote

Also not news for you, but just to let other people know about the progress we made.

The PCE-PRO support in uCON64 2.0.0 is broken. Like you wrote, uCON64 2.0.0 can flash single games to the PCE-PRO flash card, but the multi-game files produced by it are not correct. This bug has now been fixed and uCON64 2.0.2 will contain the fixes (uCON64 2.0.1 is a development version). You can also download the source code and compile uCON64 yourself.

The correct command for creating a PCE-PRO multi-game file is:
ucon64 -multi=32 -pce -nhd pceboot.pce game1 game2 game3 multi.bin

game1, game2 and game3 should be replaced with the actual names of your ROM dumps. You can of course specify more or less than 3 games. You can choose another name than multi.bin for the multi-game file. None of the files should have a header and none of the files should be bit-swapped.

[edit]
I forgot to mention one thing. It's not yet clear whether 4 Mbit games have to be enlarged, but 3 Mbit files do need 5 Mbit on the flash card. I will update this message when I know more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> PCE-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: