ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomy: Dumping works, but dumps incorrectly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merp

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Tomy: Dumping works, but dumps incorrectly. Reply with quote

I use SuperFlasher v2.34.

I'm having the following problems:

1.) Games overdump by one MByte. Games that are overdumping so far are LOROM games.

2.) Bizarre stuff in the header. They aren't matching with currently known Good [!] dumps.

3, and MOST IMPORTANTLY.) Games with epoxy blobs are NOT dumping at all. Some... SOME are detected as gibberish but will not display the size of the game.

I have carts like Pokémon Pikachu, Pokémon Stadium, Tekken 2, Sonic and Knuckles, Campeonato Brasileiro III, and X-Men Vs. Street Fighter.

I would like to dump them.

Pirate carts that contain chips seem to dump fine.
merp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm... Even some REGULAR carts are not dumping properly.

The SHVC-JON board does not seem to dump. The cart I am trying to dump is Ranma 1/2 Hard Battle.

It will notice the header, but the backup button does not work.

Also, Super Gameboy dumps fine... BUT, Game Genie is detected like Ranma 1/2 but also cannot be dumped.
The Dumper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does ucon64 dump?
dbjh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dumper wrote:
Does ucon64 dump?

Nope. It only dumps the contents of the flash card. However, judging from merp's results I'm starting to doubt whether it's worth the effort to add that functionality. Of course, it's possible that the dumping code in SuperFlasher was simply poorly written.
JohnDie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumping with the SuperFlash programmer board is possible, although it's really a little bit flaky. I'm not sure if it's my programmer board or the design of the board in general, but I sometimes get bad dumps when dumping using my own software. Usually reseating the cartridge solves this, so I guess it's just poor contact (although my carts are cleaned). But with some Multi-Carts (those pirate ones) I don't get any good dumps, seems to be an issue with access times. I still have to check which one this was and if it's using epoxyblobs, too.
I haven't tried much with the Tigersoft Software, but I suppose the software has some bugs left. Dumping SHVC-1J0N Boards with my custom software is no problem at all. I'll do some tests with the Tigersoft software and let you know if it works for me.
merp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful. I'm glad that somebody is finally taking notice of this.

I think that full-compatibility is something to strive for in a dumper/flasher. Excluding anything due to laziness is a cop-out of quality. I love the customer service and the community associated with Tiger-Soft and Tototek, but the quality of the products have things left to be desired.

JohnDie:

That is very exciting that the SVC-1JON board dumps for you using your custom software. That means that the dumper/flasher board itself isn't at fault for not being able to dump select SNES/SFC boards.

This is just an off-the-wall suggestion, but perhaps if the programmers of the SuperFlash dumping programs are interested in your help, you could help add functionality and portability to the program! Ucon64, in my opinion, isn't worth much to the emulation scene. Aside from its seeminglly unlimited functionality when it comes to different systems, it lacks much in the ways of practical functionality. I will admit that since it's multi-OS, it gives hope to *nix and Mac users.
dbjh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

merp wrote:
This is just an off-the-wall suggestion, but perhaps if the programmers of the SuperFlash dumping programs are interested in your help, you could help add functionality and portability to the program!

I cannot speak for JohnDie nor for the programmer of SuperFlash, but the chance of that happening is close to zero. JohnDie is one of the programmers of uCON64, so if he writes code, it's much more likely that it ends up in uCON64.

merp wrote:
Ucon64, in my opinion, isn't worth much to the emulation scene. Aside from its seeminglly unlimited functionality when it comes to different systems, it lacks much in the ways of practical functionality. I will admit that since it's multi-OS, it gives hope to *nix and Mac users.

The idea is not giving hope but providing a practical tool. If you think it lacks functionality, I would like to know what functionality that is.
merp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I just want a dumping tool that dumps all known types of carts or has the compatible hardware to allow you to create your own dumping plugins (or something to that extent) to allow all cartridge to be read accurately.

The uCON64 area is really not my area to speak about, having only used it 4 years ago and on Linux 3 weeks ago.

I wasn't aware that JohnDie was a programmer of uCON64. I guess I'm not all that sorry for what I said, but if there is something that could be taken out of what I said, regardless of what it is, to improve uCON64, then great. All tools that try to benefit emulation and successfully do are useful. I wasn't trying to intentionally trying to badmouth the tool.

Again, great work on whatever progress has been made for the SNES.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> TigerSoft's SuperFlash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: