ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GameDoctor SF7 - RAM question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
squiffyboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: GameDoctor SF7 - RAM question Reply with quote

Hi, if I buy the 32Mb version of the GameDoctor SF7, can I be absolutely sure that it will play all 4.00MB/32Mb roms.
Does the GD take up any of that space?
Or would I be better getting an extra 32Mb RAM, just in case or for bigger games?

Thanks
-squiffyboy
rippin snare

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matey. yes.. I will play ALL games that are 32mb (expect for special chip games, none of which are 32m that I know of). The GD7 doesn't take up any space at all of the ram which is great in my opinion. It is good you asked that cause I was wondering that too when I got mine a little while back.

32mb is fine if you are sure the games you want to play are no more than that but it wouldn't hurt to get a little extra just in case for down the road.
dbjh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: GameDoctor SF7 - RAM question Reply with quote

squiffyboy wrote:
Hi, if I buy the 32Mb version of the GameDoctor SF7, can I be absolutely sure that it will play all 4.00MB/32Mb roms.

No, because AFAIK a Game Doctor compatibility list of all known SNES games has never been made. But the chances are pretty high that you can play any game that doesn't use additional chips. Most ROM tools display chip information when you run them on a ROM dump. At the moment the best tools are NSRT and uCON64. For example, when you run uCON64 on a 32 Mbit game like Chrono Trigger (U) it will display a line that says:
ROM type: (2) ROM + Save RAM
That is okay.
For a 32 Mbit game like Kirby's Dream Land 3 (U) it will display a line that says:
ROM type: (35) ROM + Save RAM + SA-1
That is *not* okay. Anything other than ROM, Save RAM or DSP(-1) is not okay.

squiffyboy wrote:

Only if you want to use Super mode (Real Time Save mode). The GD needs an additional 8 Mbit for that. If you want to play it like you would do if you had the cartridge 32 Mbit is enough.

squiffyboy wrote:
Or would I be better getting an extra 32Mb RAM, just in case or for bigger games?

The additional price for an extra 32 Mbit is well worth it. Then you can also play (the translated version of) Tales of Phantasia.

squiffyboy wrote:
Thanks
-squiffyboy

You're welcome.
The Dumper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: GameDoctor SF7 - RAM question Reply with quote

dbjh wrote:
squiffyboy wrote:

Only if you want to use Super mode (Real Time Save mode). The GD needs an additional 8 Mbit for that. If you want to play it like you would do if you had the cartridge 32 Mbit is enough.

There is a little more to it than that. The GD needs a small amount of actual dram (less than 1Mbit I think -- but the SF7 may require 4Mb space) to do a Super Mode Save. The key restriction is that it must have this dram in a dram slot that is linked to the game you are saving. If the game you are running takes up 32Mbit (4 dram slots) you have no extra room in any of those slots so you'll need to allocate a new slot (8 Mbit) to save the data. If, on the other hand you have a 12Mbit LoROM game (2 dram slots, takes up 16Mbit), the save data can be "hidden" in unused extra 4Mbit of the last dram slot already allocated to the game.

So, yes, for any 32Mbit game you will need an extra 8Mbit to do a Super Mode Save, but for games that are not an even multiple of 8Mbit you probably won't waste an extra dram slot for a Super Mode Save.

dbjh wrote:
squiffyboy wrote:

The additional price for an extra 32 Mbit is well worth it. Then you can also play (the translated version of) Tales of Phantasia.

I agree. I'd get some extra dram. It's pretty cheap so why not? The 64Mbit dram module is only $10 more than the 32Mbit one I think. I'd consider getting the 64Mbit (even though you may never use all of it).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: