ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Communication problem of SF7 to PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ychh0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Communication problem of SF7 to PC Reply with quote

Hi there

As I posted previously, I have trouble with my SF7.
The disk loading problem was figured out by changing floppy disk drive to another one.
I'm sorry that TOTOTEK did not test floppy...

Now, I have trouble with communication of SF7 to PC.
The programs that I tested are UCON64 both WIN and DOS ver.
When I used UCON64 WIN ver. error occurs as follows.
"ERROR: Can't open "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT" for reading"
So I tested DOS ver. but it did not properly detect LPT1 address (0*378).
It automatically detected LPT1 address as 0*3BC so I used option, -port=378 but it failed to communicated with SF7.
It showed error message "ERROR: Communication with Game Doctor failed".
What should I do to load from PC?

The cable that I used is what TOTOTEK sent with MDPRO64.
Brief info. of my PC is as follows

P3 866EB
ASUS CUV4X-E (VIA Chipset, Pathed with 4in1 driver Ver. 4.49 Hyperion)
4 IDE devices (2 HDD, 1 CDROM and 1 CDRW)
1 External Device (1 HDD using IEEE1394 port of SB)
SB AUDIGY

I tested UCON64 in the command prompt mode of Win XP.

Please recommend me how to do...
dbjh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Communication problem of SF7 to PC Reply with quote

ychh0 wrote:
Now, I have trouble with communication of SF7 to PC.
The programs that I tested are UCON64 both WIN and DOS ver.
When I used UCON64 WIN ver. error occurs as follows.
"ERROR: Can't open "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\NTUSER.DAT" for reading"

I just released 1.9.8-2. In the FAQ that is included with that version I answer that question. I will just copy it here too:
in the uCON64 FAQ I wrote:
Q47: I use Windows XP (NT/2000) and every time I run uCON64 I get this error message about ntuser.dat. What does it mean?
A: If you see lines in the display output of uCON64 that look like these:
  Create: ntuser.idx
  ERROR: Can't open "C:\Documents and Settings\Daniël\ntuser.dat" for reading
you should modify the configuration file so that ucon64_datdir points to another directory.
By default uCON64 will use the home directory as the directory where it searches for DAT files (the "DAT file directory"). uCON64 handles all files in the DAT file directory that have a name that ends with ".dat" as DAT files. ntuser.dat seems to be a standard file in a Windows XP user's home directory (and should not be removed), but it is not a DAT file for use with uCON64. See question 36 for more information on how to configure uCON64 so that it uses "real" DAT files. If you only want to get rid of that error message either make ucon64_datdir in the configuration file point to an existing directory that does not contain any files with a name that ends with ".dat" or make an environment variable with the name ucon64_datdir point to such a directory. Do not forget that the environment variable will not be set the next time you start a DOS session.

So, that message about ntuser.dat has nothing to do with transferring files. BTW uCON64 continues after that message, so it is possible to do whatever you want, including transferring files to your GDSF7.

ychh0 wrote:
So I tested DOS ver. but it did not properly detect LPT1 address (0*378).
It automatically detected LPT1 address as 0*3BC so I used option, -port=378 but it failed to communicated with SF7.
It showed error message "ERROR: Communication with Game Doctor failed".
What should I do to load from PC?

Read the FAQ ;-)
You need an I/O driver. I suggest to use one of the Windows versions (for example ucon64-1.9.8-2-win32-mingw-bin). Then read the answer to question 4 (in order to know how to install an I/O driver). In case it's not clear from the FAQ, use io.dll.
To transfer files to the GDSF7 you can either use -xgd6 or -xgd3. First try -xgd6. If that doesn't work try -xgd3.
ychh0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I was busy thesedays so I managed to test it today.
I finally succeeded to load games from PC.

But I found that when the rom size is bigger it's hard to load rightly. I mean there may be some data loses and sometimes SF7 reported that the file size is not correct. I tested loading Tales of Fantasia (48Mb) and I succeeded to load after three times of failure.

And some files cannot be converted from "SMC" to the required file for SF7 when using -GD3 option, especially >32Mb size LoROM or Normal ROM. Are there any way to convert them?
dbjh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ychh0 wrote:
But I found that when the rom size is bigger it's hard to load rightly. I mean there may be some data loses and sometimes SF7 reported that the file size is not correct. I tested loading Tales of Fantasia (48Mb) and I succeeded to load after three times of failure.

Did you try both -xgd3 and -xgd6?

ychh0 wrote:
And some files cannot be converted from "SMC" to the required file for SF7 when using -GD3 option, especially >32Mb size LoROM or Normal ROM. Are there any way to convert them?

Not with uCON64. But what games would you like to convert? There is one LoROM game larger than 32 Mbit, Star Ocean (J), but it uses the SDD-1 chip, so you won't be able to play it anyway. That is, until neviksti finds a way to integrate the graphics packs.
There are two "normal" games larger than 32 Mbit that uCON64 can't convert, Tengai Makyou Zero (J) and Tengai Makyou Zero - Shounen Jump no Sho (J). But they also use a special chip (SPC7110), that makes it impossible to play them without (heavy) modification.

Last edited by dbjh on Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
rippin snare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had that problem too. If it gives you that >32M error try adding the -erom switch to fix it. I had to do that to get my ToP working.

That problem you are having with any games over 8M is a classic problem. A lot of people had that problem including myself. You MUST use an i/o driver if using 2k/xp. You also have to have a proper cable (25 pin 1-1 straight through, not too long maybe 10ft max) and play around with your parallel port settings in your bios. I had to do this too to get it to work... try epp and ecp.. spp probably wont work.
dbjh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rippin snare wrote:
i had that problem too. If it gives you that >32M error try adding the -erom switch to fix it. I had to do that to get my ToP working.

I wasn't reading his post carefully, that's why I originally referred to your question. However, he is talking about "normal" (HiROM) and LoROM games. -erom only makes sense for "extended" games. ToP is such a game, but SO and the FEoEZ games are not.
ychh0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.

I used cable that came with MD-PRO64 made by TOTOTEK.
And I tried both -xgd6 and -xgd3. When can -xgd6 option be properly applied? I tested 15~20 games not using -xgd6 but using -xgd3. When I tried -xgd6, all the games that I tested reported error.

I don't remember all of the game names that I tested. But one of them was just "NORMAL ROM" and UCON64 could not convert it to gd3 format.

And I posted already, I guess some data was missing during transferring to SF7. Parallel port was EPP mode in WIN XP and game was transferred using io.dll.

Most of games under 32M was transferred correctly nearly 100% but the percent of correct transfer was below 50% when the rom size were bigger than 32M.

Would you recommend me something for correct transferring?
dbjh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ychh0 wrote:
I used cable that came with MD-PRO64 made by TOTOTEK.

That cable should be alright.

ychh0 wrote:
And I tried both -xgd6 and -xgd3. When can -xgd6 option be properly applied? I tested 15~20 games not using -xgd6 but using -xgd3. When I tried -xgd6, all the games that I tested reported error.

-xgd6 *should* be more reliable than -xgd3, so if you have a GDSF6 or a GDSF7 -xgd6 is the preferred option. You *are* using uCON64 1.9.8-2, right? Not uCON64 1.9.8-1?

ychh0 wrote:
I don't remember all of the game names that I tested. But one of them was just "NORMAL ROM" and UCON64 could not convert it to gd3 format.

Well, you'll probably understand that I can't do much with that information ;-) If you happen to come across that game or another _normal_ (i.e., non-extended) game that uCON64 can't convert, please note the name somewhere.

ychh0 wrote:
And I posted already, I guess some data was missing during transferring to SF7. Parallel port was EPP mode in WIN XP and game was transferred using io.dll.

Perhaps setting another parallel port mode helps. Other than that and perhaps using another (shorter?) cable I have no clue. Well, perhaps trying another PC?

ychh0 wrote:
Most of games under 32M was transferred correctly nearly 100% but the percent of correct transfer was below 50% when the rom size were bigger than 32M.

Strange. I have sent an e-mail to the author of the GD code, The Dumper. Maybe he has some ideas.

ychh0 wrote:
Would you recommend me something for correct transferring?

I'm just guessing here. Like I said, try another parallel port mode and see if you get better results.
Another option is trying another cable. If you have access to another PC try that too. I hope one of those suggestions is of help.
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ychh0 told me that it is working now. It is great ! And thanks all people which helping him.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: