ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Famicom Game Doctor 4M

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Famicom Game Doctor 4M Reply with quote

Does anyone have further info about this unit in terms of how to operate it? I have one currently on the way to me along with a modified famicom disk to allow writing to disk and the software to copy disks. Can this thing also backup carts to famicom disk and load the disks? I also have an MGD1, so I may try out Tomy's methods from the other thread as well.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh... Famicom copiers are utterly useless. Unless you plan to hack each game by hand to use 1 of the few mappers the thing supports, just forget it. The only time it might even be remotely usefull is if you get the collection of pre-hacked games as distributed in China/HK. At least you'd have a small selection of games to play.
madman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more or less bought it to be able to play w/it and learn more about how it works. If I wanted to just play ROMs, I'd load up an emu. I understand the GD supports some mappers, but don't know much beyond that. Does it use the fami disk system for writing regular famicom cart games? Just looking for as much info as possible on it so I can start playing around.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All games are loaded via FDS. Basically these devices played cart games that were hacked to work on FDS. Trainer programs were used to do the the bankswitching routines in software that are usually done in hardware by mapper chips. Sometimes the results were good, sometimes not so good. But basically, these HK pirate-trained disks are somewhat hard to come by.

The best thing the TGD series are good for is copying FDS games via hacker programs like Copy Master, which is a useful program for other things too, as I understand it.

Like T_net said, FC copiers are generally pretty useless nowadays....and weren't ever really any more useful outside Asia (lack of access to the pirated-trained disks).

A big thanks goes to Kyuusaku who has been my sensei through all things copier-related, lol.

-Rob
madman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, the one I'm getting comes with a copying program, I'm not sure if it's Copy Master or another one. There's a guy in Japan on EBay right now selling a modified famicom board that allows the FDS to write, some copying software and a few blanks.

Once I figure out how to dump disks to PC I can post it for anyone who wants it, unless that stuff is readily available already. I'll have to look into making an fdsloader cable as well.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yea, the one I'm getting comes with a copying program, I'm not sure if it's Copy Master or another one. There's a guy in Japan on EBay right now selling a modified famicom board that allows the FDS to write, some copying software and a few blanks.

Once I figure out how to dump disks to PC I can post it for anyone who wants it, unless that stuff is readily available already. I'll have to look into making an fdsloader cable as well.

I'm interested in seeing thsi auction if you could please send me the link. Smile I've never actaully seen the mod board sold before.

Most FDS disks are dumped, but there is a short running list of a few very rare ones that haven't been (mostly copier related stuff, or games made by companies related to the copier companies). Copy Master has never been successfully dumped and distributed. I have an image I made of it, but I think it may be corrupt. I'll have to test it with FDSLoadr.

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Famicom Game Doctor 4M Reply with quote

madman wrote:
Does anyone have further info about this unit in terms of how to operate it? I have one currently on the way to me along with a modified famicom disk to allow writing to disk and the software to copy disks. Can this thing also backup carts to famicom disk and load the disks? I also have an MGD1, so I may try out Tomy's methods from the other thread as well.

No, it can only playback games. Operation is: put RAM adapter on top of Game Doctor, put GD into FC. Turn on... The Game Doctor requires it's own powersupply to function. From here, you will see the normal FDS disk prompt, this is normal. To "activate" the Game Doctor, you must insert a disk in a particular format which contains a hacked "ROM", only then will you see something out of the normal FDS loading screen. If the GD game you load is multiple sided (game is over 64k), you will be prompted to insert the next side. This is the only user interface you will see!

FC copiers have only 2 components:
-the BIOS which intercepts FDS data flow, reroutes it to Game Doctor memory and starts the game.
-the hardware which is basically ONE multiple-state mapper which can play: (C)NROM, U(N/O)ROM, GNROM and two custom "mappers".

No GUI like SFC copiers or any frills really.

To hack (play) your own games you must understand 6502 assembly and be able to write FDS disks. Try out your hacks on an emulator first by making a mapper 6 ROM with 256k PRG ROM, 0k CHR ROM (CHR RAM present).

There is gist of GD bankswitching is:

$42FE.D4 - select nametable (one screen mirroring)
$43FE.D4 - select vertical/horizontal mirroring (two screen mirroring)
$8000-FFFF.D0-1 - select 8k page (of 32k) CHR RAM
$8000-FFFF.D2-5 - select 16k page (of 128/256k) PRG ROM at $8000

If you understand this, then you've got a chance at converting your own ROMs :D If you don't, don't feel bad, just realize that you'll need to understand that and a substantial bit more to actually play something with the Game Doctor (provided someone else doesn't do it for you.)
madman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. It appears the disk w/the copying software I received is bad, so things are on hold for now. I'll have to get around to building an FDSloader cable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: