ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wildcard SMS3201 RAM Upgrade
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Super Wildcard SMS3201 RAM Upgrade Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have a 16M SWC that I've added an extra 16M of RAM, upgraded the PEELs and the EPROM, but there are a couple of board mods (trace cuts/jumper) that need done before it will see 32M.

There are two versions of the board- one with a Goldstar floppy controller and one with a Motorola. I have a good photo of the mod for the version with the Goldstar, but of course mine has the Motorola.

Does anyone have documentation to complete the upgrade? I have a couple more sets of PEELs for anyone else in the same boat as me.

Pete

Last edited by rcade on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sprout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete,

I don't have any documentation, but I do have a SWC 32M version that I can crack open to take pictures of, if you don't have any luck finding instructions.

You noted that you upgraded the EPROM - that's what I'm looking for; I just pulled my SWC out of the attic to mess around with, and while looking for any type of ROM upgrade, found reference to:

=============
DX'96 Upgrade ROM

This replacement ROM will upgrade the SWC DX's ROM BIOS and add a new DX96 logo and background tiles. Its the latest ROM for the SWC DX.
=============

I vaguely remember reading about this many years ago, but am not clear what features this upgraded ROM offers - any ideas where to get this? My ROM is dated 12/5/94. I've got an EPROM burner if I can just get ahold of the file.

I was hoping it would allow more games to run in the mode that allows you to pop back into the SWC menu so you can back up the SRAM for example - most of the ones I've tried just won't let you jump out to save the SRAM, game state, etc.

Brent
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SWC DX has a 95 upgrade in it. I have never seen anyone other than a pic of 96 upgrade and when I contacted FFE about this they had no idea if one was released and if one was, you would have to get that BIOS off of that unit and dump it to upgrade.
Sprout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the 95 upgrade consist of? Is it similar - just some graphical changes, or does it offer anything else that you're aware of?

Either way, I'd like to get ahold of the ROM contents to update my system if possible; do you have the contents saved to a file, or know where they can be downloaded?

I'm assuming I have a "94" version, assuming the upgrades referenced the year in which the EPROM was updated...
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There aren't any upgrades except BIOS. The BIOS MAY improve real time save, but not significantly. If your SWC's battery works you shouldn't need to return to the menu to backup in-game saves anyway. Real time save isn't stable on any SNES copier.

There are SWCDX BIOS in GoodSNES, may want to check them out. Don't overwrite your EPROM though without dumping it first :)
Sprout

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal; I'll dig through GoodSNES and pull out the SWCDX BIOS. Definitely will be backing up my existing BIOS, and to be safe, will burn any updated BIOS to a completely different EPROM before considering erasing the original.

Actually glad I pulled mine apart to get take pictures; my battery had been leaking for a bit - gave me a chance to remove it and clean up the board to ensure the problem didn't spread - no serious damage; just need to install a replacement and I'll be in good shape.

As for the RTS - well, I could hope; I don't remember it *ever* working very well - maybe on 4Mb games, or other relatively small/simple ones - I was just hoping for an easy way to back up the SRAM in games that wouldn't let me pop back into the SWC menu. I want to say that if I connected the SWCDX to the computer and used it for uploading/downloading content that there was an option there to backup the SRAM in that fashion, but I'll have to connect it up again to confirm - this bugger's been in the attic at least 10 years..

Thanks for the suggestions!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Super Wildcard SWC3201 RAM Upgrade Reply with quote

rcade wrote:
I have a 16M SWC that I've added an extra 16M of RAM, upgraded the PEELs and the EPROM, but there are a couple of board mods (trace cuts/jumper) that need done before it will see 32M.

My Super Wild Card SMS-3201 is currently equipped with ROM version 1.8 and 16 megabits of DRAM. I have already ordered a 27C128 EPROM chip for upgrading the software to 2.8CC 06/28/94. My intention is to increment the amount of DRAM to 24 megabits, as this is easier to do than the full 32 megabit modification. Suitable memory ICs are available on some old 30-pin SIMM memory sticks for PC computers. What I would need is information on the locations of memory chips on a 24 megabit memory board.

rcade wrote:
Does anyone have documentation to complete the upgrade? I have a couple more sets of PEELs for anyone else in the same boat as me.

Unfortunately I don't have more information. Do you have the necessary data files for programming the PEEL chips or have you bought those pre-programmed?
Sprout

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm still looking for a good image of a 95 or newer BIOS. The one I found online appeared ok, but didn't work properly in either an emulator, or when I burned it and installed in my SWCDX, so I suspect it's corrupted.

Thought it may have had headers of some sort added, but the utilities I tested with didn't show any.

If anybody is aware of a known-good source for these, I'm still looking. The GoodSNES archives I've checked don't include any SWC stuff.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wildcard SWC3201 RAM Upgrade Reply with quote

1541 wrote:
as this is easier to do than the full 32 megabit modification.

Why is that?

1541 wrote:
What I would need is information on the locations of memory chips on a 24 megabit memory board.

The left spaces for chips that makes three consecutive columns...

1541 wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have more information. Do you have the necessary data files for programming the PEEL chips or have you bought those pre-programmed?

The fusemap is in Schweino's scene archive and you don't actually need to use PEELs, you can use just common GALs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: Super Wildcard SWC3201 RAM Upgrade Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
1541 wrote:
as this is easier to do than the full 32 megabit modification.
Why is that?
Apparently the upgrade to 32 megabits requires some modifications to the main board too. I don't know the details. If someone posts instructions, I can consider it. Thank you for the help.

kyuusaku wrote:
you don't actually need to use PEELs, you can use just common GALs.
I could not find the original 18CV8 type chips in Finland, so I converted the JEDEC files for GAL18V10 with Lattice PALTOGAL utility.
Wolfeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Super WildCard DX 32 on ebay. It has not arrived yet but in preparation I'm trying to find out some information on it.

What sort of chips does it use for memory and are they easily upgradable to say 64Mb?

I'd also love to add a 100MB zip drive to it if possible without cost or headache.

Any suggestions? I've read all the SWC threads here but I'm unclear on the above questions, thanks
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can use a number of different DRAM chips, typically they use 8x514400.

It's not upgradeable to 64M, only 32M + 2M for RTS.

You can't attach a Zip drive or anything else to it, you can only use the internal floppy or send games from the PC via the parallel port.
rcade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wildcard SWC3201 RAM Upgrade Reply with quote

rcade wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have more information. Do you have the necessary data files for programming the PEEL chips or have you bought those pre-programmed?[/quote]

Both. The files came from the Schweino archive (I think) and I had someone make several sets for me. They don't work without the board mods, though. I have the mods for one board revision but not the other.
eludevisibility

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:

You can't attach a Zip drive or anything else to it, you can only use the internal floppy or send games from the PC via the parallel port.

Mine works fine with the old 100MB Zip Drive attached on the back.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eludevisibility wrote:

Mine works fine with the old 100MB Zip Drive attached on the back.

What model SWC and BIOS are you using?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: