ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2 broken SNES systems.. Anyone good with SNES hardware?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: 2 broken SNES systems.. Anyone good with SNES hardware? Reply with quote

I had 2 working SNES systems (sorta)
System 1 was fine and an original from release day (9/1991).

System 2 was given to me by a friend. It has weird issues. When putting in Super Mario World it would start you off invincible w/ music playing and everything. most gfx were garbled. Star Fox oddly enough works perfectly. SWC DX loads up but games won't load from the floppy. 4 other cartridges tested and all have screwed up gfx.

System 2 I tried cleaning the contacts of the carts and snes unit with alcohol. A Nintendo SNES cleaning kit and canned air were used for the system contacts.

Now here's where it gets worse! I opened System 1 in order to try the removable cartridge pin connector and as soon as I opened it the system refused to power on! Sad I checked everything and even tried swapping the power on/off cable with System 2 and it still won't power on.

So now I am stuck with a dead original system (I grew up with this and had my SWC plugged into it for nearly 18 years so It had sentimental value) and a messed up System 2!

Anyone have any ideas (other than buying another or emulating it) I just want a working system. I would mainly like to get my original SNES ( System 2)working. Is there a fuse in the snes that can be removed? I have the system torn apart and I can't locate one.

Thanks guys.

madman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, there's a fuse in there, it's along the side, follow where the power goes in and you'll see. If a system doesn't turn on, this is most likely the reason why. Either replace the fuse, or just jumper the connection.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
Yep, there's a fuse in there, it's along the side, follow where the power goes in and you'll see. If a system doesn't turn on, this is most likely the reason why. Either replace the fuse, or just jumper the connection.

Is it the small soldered-in 1.5AMP piece? I guess they don't use standardized fuses at Nintendo... I gave the other gfx screwed system a 91% alcohol bath overnight and after letting it dry that doesn't boot either... I've never had so much trouble with consoles.

madman

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a regular picofuse, they didn't invent a new fuse just for the SNES.
Data33

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpooNMan wrote:
madman wrote:

Is it the small soldered-in 1.5AMP piece? I guess they don't use standardized fuses at Nintendo... I gave the other gfx screwed system a 91% alcohol bath overnight and after letting it dry that doesn't boot either... I've never had so much trouble with consoles.

Not sure if this is needed info, but the fuse doesn't have to be a 1.5AMP one. I've fixed a couple of SNES'es with an 1.6AMP, which is easier to find. Also, jumpering this instead of putting a fuse there is dangerous. If something happens, your SNES will take the hit instead of the fuse.

//Data33
MrCheese

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before opening a SNES you should unplug the power lead then switch it on. You will see the power LED flash briefly. Doing this drains the power inside the console. You have much less chance of blowing the fuse.
Data33

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCheese wrote:
Before opening a SNES you should unplug the power lead then switch it on. You will see the power LED flash briefly. Doing this drains the power inside the console. You have much less chance of blowing the fuse.

Hmm, I always thought there was no chance at all to blow the fuse if there's no current in the circuits? Smile
MrCheese

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capacitors.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCheese wrote:
Capacitors.

Why would you think it's a cap? I forgot to discharge the system prior to touching the board. I assume it's the problem.
I took some pictures of the board here
http://spoonman.roarvgm.com/videogame/snes_hardware/snes_hardware.html

**This is also the board that also had glitchy gfx in many games (back when it started up)

I tried everything I could think of and gave it the last ditch effort of an alcohol (91%) bath which has fixed some of my hardware in the past. No luck here though. Sad

I'm going to buy some PICO fuses and see if that starts them up. I only need 2, but I can only find 5pks and higher.

madman

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caps won't hold enough charge to blow the fuse. Maybe it'd blow if you had a cartridge inserted backwards (bare PCBs in with no case) and immediately turned it on right after removing the power supply, but very unlikely.

Spoonman, if you want you can just jumper the fuses to see if those are the issue. If jumpering doesn't power it up, it's not the fuse that's the issue.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
Caps won't hold enough charge to blow the fuse. Maybe it'd blow if you had a cartridge inserted backwards (bare PCBs in with no case) and immediately turned it on right after removing the power supply, but very unlikely.

Spoonman, if you want you can just jumper the fuses to see if those are the issue. If jumpering doesn't power it up, it's not the fuse that's the issue.

ok, I'll try that. Would any copper wire work to connect the points?

madman

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much, yea.
MrCheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/nintendo/snes-fuse.htm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: