ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

StarFox 2 on a copier?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: StarFox 2 on a copier? Reply with quote

I'm sure the answer is no.. but is there any possible way of playing StarFox 2 on any of the SNES copiers? I used to play DSP roms with a Mario Kart in the slot of my SWC. I thought I remembered a way of playing StarFox 1 from a rom with a real StarFox cart in the slot.

I guess it would depend if StarFox 2 uses the same FX1 chip "Mario Chip" or not. I was playing an English patched, final beta of StarFox2 and it's one of the best SNES games I've played. Damn shame Nintendo scrapped it!

SpooNMan

CrackLtd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the sense of playing a backup when having the original cart ^.^

------------------------------------
#ToToTEK Channel on EFNet
zvarri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That game is a beta and never came out on a cart. I too would like to know if this is possible somehow, short of having to modify a Super FX2 game...
Vlcice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually not a SuperFX2 game (it uses the regular SuperFX chip), but it does require modding a cartridge.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlcice wrote:
It's actually not a SuperFX2 game (it uses the regular SuperFX chip), but it does require modding a cartridge.

Have you played StarFox 2 beta on real SNES hardware?

Silver

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpooNMan wrote:
Vlcice wrote:

I have, in a modded Stunt Race FX cart (whch used the original SuperFX chip).

Note that from what I have read, Starfox 2 will work with either a SuperFX or SuperFX2 chip. It appears the chips are actually very similar - I believe the FX2 is essentially dual core (2 cores running at 10.5Mhz, which is why the FX2 is typically quoted as running at 21Mhz). There does not appear to be much gained by modding a fx2 cart. There does appear to be some gain in overclocking the fx chip though.

EDIT: To answer your original question, I see no reason why a cart with an FX/FX2 chip could not be used to run the starfox 2 rom.

Note that Super Mario Kart is not suitable, as it used the DSP chip, not the SuperFX chip.

Although I always had issues with DSP/FX passthough with any games on copiers - either slightly dirty contacts, or the increased path length causing timing issues, or just bad luck.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
SpooNMan wrote:
Vlcice wrote:

I have, in a modded Stunt Race FX cart (whch used the original SuperFX chip).

Note that from what I have read, Starfox 2 will work with either a SuperFX or SuperFX2 chip. It appears the chips are actually very similar - I believe the FX2 is essentially dual core (2 cores running at 10.5Mhz, which is why the FX2 is typically quoted as running at 21Mhz). There does not appear to be much gained by modding a fx2 cart. There does appear to be some gain in overclocking the fx chip though.

EDIT: To answer your original question, I see no reason why a cart with an FX/FX2 chip could not be used to run the starfox 2 rom.

Note that Super Mario Kart is not suitable, as it used the DSP chip, not the SuperFX chip.

Although I always had issues with DSP/FX passthough with any games on copiers - either slightly dirty contacts, or the increased path length causing timing issues, or just bad luck.

Do you know of some sort of tutorial or whatever for modifying an FX/FX2 cart in order to load your own game onto it?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as any other cart.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:

any url's for that?
Vlcice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver wrote:

As far as I know, the two chips are identical except for how much ROM data they can address; the FX can address up to 8M/1MB, while the FX2 can address up to 32M/4MB. That's why Star Fox 2 doesn't require the FX2.

Overclocking makes the game run faster, but in every sense. Its timing is tied to the FX2's clock speed, so it won't just get a higher framerate but will actually run too fast. (Emulators also play it too quickly - try comparing Stunt Race on an emulator to the cartridge.)
madman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FX2 is not a dual core chip, Vlcice is correct about the addressing and I believe the clock speeds on different on FX vs FX2.
Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eastbayarb wrote:
kyuusaku wrote:

any url's for that?

Here ya go : http://snesdev.romhack.de/

There are also some good but loong threads around - look for a couple on benheck.com.
SpooNMan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want to sell a hacked Stunt Race FX cart with SF2 beta (eng patched/debug removed)? I have vision problems and can't solder pins that small anymore. Or please point me to someone who is trustworthy and capable of doing it.

I remember there being a website that sold nes and snes carts with English patched and unreleased betas. I am guessing Nintendo closed them down.

Thanks

CrackLtd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. Very interesting, i think i gonna try that hack. Destroying a Stunt Race FX cart.... ^.^ I let ya know when i was successful !!

-----------------------------------
#ToToTEK Channel on EFNet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: