ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MD PRO 64...64 Megabits?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaverBoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: MD PRO 64...64 Megabits? Reply with quote

Wow, that's small. At first I thought it was 64 MegaBytes, but, nope, after reading around a bit here, it appears it's only 64 Megabits...not too many games are going to fit on that $90 piece of hardware. Why so small? My teeny little EFA Linker GBA flashcart is 64 MegaBytes, for chrissakes.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the average MD/GEN game is only 4M. 64M is actually plenty large enough.
WaverBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but...how can 64Mb be plenty large enough? There are lots of great games larger than 4Mb. I can fit 16 games max on there, and only if they're all teeny 4Mb ones. Not a lot for $100, especially when I can fit 250 NES games along with a few GBA games on a tiny 512 Mb EFA cart which costs $20 shipped from Hong Kong. I ask again, why so small a capacity?
SmartOne

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the NOR or NAND (can't remember which) flash type that's really expensive because it's not prefered by the general market but necessary for the Genesis. I really wish I could throw any game imaginable onto my cart and have a whole collection. That would be amazing.
fonzie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, EFA's cart 512Megs cost like 2 usd of crap cheap serial flash ... And Mdpro's 64meg is more 8 usd of parallel hi quality flash. I'm speaking of the chipsets, then comes the fact EFA is produced in very big quantity and mdpro in low quantity.
WaverBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crap cheap serial flash seems to work beautifully in my EFA...why is parallel flash used in the MD-PRO instead of serial flash?

I heard a rumor a while back that a larger capacity cart was in the works from TotoTek...perhaps a USB compatible one...is that a possibility? If you released a 512 Mb USB compatible cart, I'd fork over $100 in a heartbeat. Maybe even $150.
Yabier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WaverBoy wrote:
The crap cheap serial flash seems to work beautifully in my EFA...why is parallel flash used in the MD-PRO instead of serial flash?

I heard a rumor a while back that a larger capacity cart was in the works from TotoTek...perhaps a USB compatible one...is that a possibility? If you released a 512 Mb USB compatible cart, I'd fork over $100 in a heartbeat. Maybe even $150.

It took me 3 years to make my MDPro work. If now Tomy releases a USB version, I think I'd blow out my head xD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: