ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wild Card SMS3201 16MB - memory upgrade?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Widar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Super Wild Card SMS3201 16MB - memory upgrade? Reply with quote

Hi all, bought a SWC 3201 16MB a couple of days ago, been playing around with it but realized that i don't have enough memory to be able to play all games... So now i wonder if is possibal to do an memory upgrade?

Or do i have to start looking for a DX or a DX2?

Thanks,
Widar
Tanooki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card SMS3201 16MB - memory upgrade? Reply with quote

Widar wrote:
Hi all, bought a SWC 3201 16MB a couple of days ago, been playing around with it but realized that i don't have enough memory to be able to play all games... So now i wonder if is possibal to do an memory upgrade?

Thanks,
Widar

You can upgrade. FFE released memory upgrade units.

But I'd recommend the DX or DX2.
Widar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card SMS3201 16MB - memory upgrade? Reply with quote

l0c4lh0st wrote:
Widar wrote:

Thanks,
Widar

Nice!
Anywhere i can grab this or find more info? I googled quickly but couldn't find anything.

Yeah, i'll keep my eyes open for a DX/2
Tanooki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Wild Card SMS3201 16MB - memory upgrade? Reply with quote

Widar wrote:
l0c4lh0st wrote:
Widar wrote:

Thanks,
Widar

Nice!
Anywhere i can grab this or find more info? I googled quickly but couldn't find anything.

Yeah, i'll keep my eyes open for a DX/2

They're basically just small packs with a few RAM chips on it. You'll have to put it on your SWC mainboard. I don't know if you can like "click" them on there, or you actually need to solder...

You could try to contact FFE. Smile There's a topic here about "Mr. Liu", he still sells Super Wild Card DX2.
rcade

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an easy upgrade. You have to find some RAM and solder it on (since it's not available anymore), get a set of PEELs burned and swap them (possibly socketing both PEEL locations), upgrade the EPROM to 2.7/2.8cc, and cut/reroute a couple of board traces.

Not a job for the average hobbyist, but it can be done.
grenouille

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I also have the Super Wild Card 16Mb version, I bought it when I was 13, now I'm 28 Smile

I have some good skills with solders and stuff, and thought it was the time to upgrade the unit to 24M/32M. I heard in the past about those upgrade kits, but never saw them.

Now years ago when I want to work on the project, I found this forum where seems to be people with information to start Smile

So if anyone has some tips and info to start.... you know, compatibility between those old memory chips that the unit has, with nowadays chips, where to download docs and roms to burn... etc.

I visited schweino where there are interesting links, but none of them works for download Confused

Thank you very much
rcade

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your mainboard have the Goldstar or the Motorola floppy controller chip?
grenouille

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcade, it is all Motorola, the floppy and the paralel port controllers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have successfully done the upgrade from 16 megabits to 32 megabits. Here is some information in this thread:
http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1821

You can get suitable RAM chips from old 4 MB 30-pin SIMMs with 2 or 3 chips. Do not try to desolder the chips, just insert a flat screwdriver under them and bend them loose. This is less likely to cause damage.

The necessary ROM and PEEL files are in ATX-SW28.LZH of the Schweino archive.
Thall

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of doing a step-by-step of the process? With pics etc?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thall wrote:
Any chance of doing a step-by-step of the process? With pics etc?

The first thing to do is to find out where to get GAL18V10 (or equivalent) chips programmed. One could overwrite the contents of the original 18CV8PC chips, but I think it is better to keep those as a way to go back to square one if something goes wrong with the modification.
grenouille

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are at the same point... don't have Schweino archive, couldn't find those files anywhere.

Second... we know that topic you tip, it hadn't success for Motorola chipset.... would be really nice if you describe what floppy controller is your SWC, Goldstar / Motorolla, and as Thall says, some step-by-step of your process.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenouille wrote:
We are at the same point... don't have Schweino archive, couldn't find those files anywhere.
The archive is here: Schweino's Snes Archive
grenouille wrote:
Second... we know that topic you tip, it hadn't success for Motorola chipset....
My device has the Motorola chipset and by comparing the photographs of the Goldstar version from rcade it was possible to figure out how to do the modification on the Motorola version too.
grenouille wrote:
some step-by-step of your process.....
I don't have a digital camera, so I can't take photographs of the device.

You might be able to get the programmable logic chips programmed at an electrical engineering educational institution near you.

When soldering the memory ICs it is possible to end up with a "black screen" situation. So I would suggest soldering one memory IC at a time, testing the result with a multimeter and then by powering the device up before proceeding to the next memory IC.
grenouille

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much mate.

First thing I have to do is locate some memory chips, I was convinced I had some old memory SIMs but unfornately that PC was thrown to garbage!

I will post any success I get on this project.
rcade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several sets of the new GALs preprogrammed from years ago. I can sell them for the cost of blanks and postage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: