ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super Wild Card SMS3201 16MB - memory upgrade?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grenouille

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some SIMS from old motherboards! I will check their capacity to know how much is every chip. Some SIM has 2 chips, other has 4 chips. I suppose it must be 4Mb every chip to be compatible with SWC upgrade...

The 4 chips SIM contains 4x TC5118165BJ-60
EDIT: upsss, these are 1Mb RAM chips.... Sad So this SIM was 4x1Mb=4Mb

The 2 chips SIM contains 2x KM416C1200AJ-7
EDIT: for these I haven't find datasheets, I hope it is a 8Mb SIM...

I will contact you rcade if my chips are compatible (by the way... I don't know what exactly are "GALs", I suppose it is the ROM or BIOS chip)

I have just downloaded the schweino's archives, so I have to locate also the documents needed for this job. I will appreciate also tips about this, what files/docs do I have to follow?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenouille wrote:
The 4 chips SIM contains 4x TC5118165BJ-60
The 2 chips SIM contains 2x KM416C1200AJ-7

I think both of these come from 72-pin SIMMs. If you want to reuse old memory chips, you need 4MB 30-pin SIMMs that have two or three ICs on them. Look for these markings on suitable chips:
44C1000
71C4400
4C4001
etc...

grenouille wrote:
(by the way... I don't know what exactly are "GALs", I suppose it is the ROM or BIOS chip)
Those are programmable logic chips. Two of those need to be changed during the upgrade.

grenouille wrote:
I have just downloaded the schweino's archives, so I have to locate also the documents needed for this job. I will appreciate also tips about this, what files/docs do I have to follow?
It is easiest to first upgrade the BIOS. A suitable chip for this is 27C128 EPROM. You need access to an EPROM programmer device.

After that install the new programmable logic chips and do the necessary hardware modifications as described in the other thread. Soldering the memory chips is the most difficult task and is best to do after the easier things are done.
grenouille

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, my SIMMs are 72 contact, I see at http://www.infinityelectronics.com/crossref.htm that the chips I could extract are about 16M.

So, I have to find 4 chips to cover the upgrade, soldering them in the free 4 slots of the memory plugged card of my SWC, that already contains 4 514400 chips?

That for me counts 16Mb plus, and we are doing 24 Mb upgrade. Is it then that we only need 2 chips right, covering 2 of 4 free slots? This chips will be very hard to get I believe... Confused

I've got 24LC128 in the past, now I only found 24LC64 in the drawer Smile
I don't think it will be hard to find the 128 unit. I've got also a JDM/TE21 programmer that I used to program chips with IC-PROG in the past, also an Apollo that should work.

For soldering I think I can do it, after modding two PS2 in the past I feel capable of doing miracles Laughing

More questions: what is the other GAL needed for the upgrade apart from 24LC128? And... how has to be used the 24LC128 to upgrade the BIOS? I don't see any 8 pins contact zone in the motherboard, so I guess it is done by soldering some of the 24LC128 pins directly to the actual BIOS chip....

Thanks a lot for the info, it's encouraging going forward step by step Smile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenouille wrote:
So, I have to find 4 chips to cover the upgrade, soldering them in the free 4 slots of the memory plugged card of my SWC, that already contains 4 514400 chips?
Yes, eight 514400 chips in total makes 32 megabits of memory.
grenouille wrote:
This chips will be very hard to get I believe... Confused
You can get suitable memory from online auction sites for example.
grenouille wrote:
More questions: what is the other GAL needed for the upgrade apart from 24LC128?
I used two GAL18V10 chips as the programmable logic.
grenouille wrote:
And... how has to be used the 24LC128 to upgrade the BIOS?
This is not the correct type of memory for the BIOS. You need 27C128 EPROM instead.
grenouille

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the project keeps going on

I have found two 30pins SIMMs, that kindly will offer me 4 MT4C4001JDJ chips Smile I'm thinking about doing straight the 32M upgrade. But I did read about the 24M modification being easier, is that real? Is the 24M upgrade as simple as programming the 2 PEELs and the EEPROM plus adding memory, without having to cut the trace and soldering those 3 irons? (Just curiosity, to carry on the final process in two parts, first 24M testing then finishing to 32M)

I'm looking for programmer kits or diagrams to build them, as the programmers I have are not useful for these chips...
1541, did you program the chips on your own??

Also for 1541, on your Motorola version board, did you follow your own instructions for moding the board?
I mean:
Code:

My unit also has the Motorola chip. However, it is possible to do the modification based on your photographs in my opinion. There are those three pins of the programmable logic chip that have been bent out of the socket. One of the wires connected to those pins goes to pin 1 of the 74LS245 bus buffer chip. When one checks where the other two wires go to on the bottom of the board, one sees that both are involved with the same pin of the memory board header. Instead of cutting a trace and soldering a wire into the middle of the board, I would cut the corresponding pin on the memory board itself as short as possible so that it no longer makes an electrical contact with the memory board connector of the main board. The wire which in the photograph is next to the cut trace would instead be soldered onto the same connector pin position on the memory board. The wire that in in the photograph is in a difficult to solder hole would instead be soldered in the place of the other wire, with the trace left intact.

I also think your method is better, it is relative easy to recover a cutted or damaged pin from the memory board instead of a damaged pad/via in that dificult soldering from the http://rittwage.com/pics/32m2.JPG photo. I just wanted to confirm that you followed your 36pin memory board modification as you described and that it worked Smile

Thank you again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenouille wrote:
I'm thinking about doing straight the 32M upgrade. But I did read about the 24M modification being easier, is that real?
It is easier, because one has to solder only two memory chips instead of four. However, I am not sure which locations should be filled and which can be left empty in a 24 megabit configuration.

grenouille wrote:
Is the 24M upgrade as simple as programming the 2 PEELs and the EEPROM plus adding memory, without having to cut the trace and soldering those 3 irons?
I think the modification is necessary for the 24 megabit version too.

grenouille wrote:
I'm looking for programmer kits or diagrams to build them, as the programmers I have are not useful for these chips...
1541, did you program the chips on your own??
Programming the chips was done at an educational institution which has the necessary equipment.

grenouille wrote:
Also for 1541, on your Motorola version board, did you follow your own instructions for moding the board?
Yes, that is how I did it. One thing that is not mentioned are the installation of additional capacitors next to the new memory ICs.

grenouille wrote:
Thank you again!
You are welcome.
grenouille

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1541 wrote:

One thing that is not mentioned are the installation of additional capacitors next to the new memory ICs.

Oh yeah, I thought about it the first day I started on this, but at the end I knew it would be the less important thing and forgot to question.

Can you tell me the value of them?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grenouille wrote:
1541 wrote:

One thing that is not mentioned are the installation of additional capacitors next to the new memory ICs.

Can you tell me the value of them?
100 nF is a good choice.
grenouille

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a disgrace. I live in Barcelona, what I hoped would do easy to find the chips, but.... 18CV8 is not manufactured anymore, impossible to find, and GAL18V10 are very old and hard to find, not being in stock anywhere.

No problems to find the capacitors and the sockets, I have desolder and hot air gun to carry on the tasks, but I'm stuck with the chips.

rcade, you've got a message Smile
rcade

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I have 5 sets of programmed GAL chips for this upgrade. I bought them, shipped them to someone who could program them, and then paid to have them shipped back to me. The chips were a couple dollars each and I had to pay shipping 3 ways to get them years ago.

If anyone is interested in them, I'll sell each set of two for $10 plus shipping wherever you are in the world. They weigh almost nothing, so an inexpensive padded envelope will work fine.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can these chips be dumped so they can be available on the internet? In 5 to 10 years this info will be obsolete and unavailable. Would be nice to have this preserved.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can program the chips only because the fuse data is already available in Schweino's archive, they're aren't normally readable.
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
People can program the chips only because the fuse data is already available in Schweino's archive, they're aren't normally readable.

Ah, been a long time since i have gone threw Schweino's archive. GOod they are preserved then already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: