ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80M Big Size Genesis Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomy
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:53 pm    Post subject: 80M Big Size Genesis Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy Reply with quote

After long time development, I run this game on real hardware. (it is not 100% stable yet, sometime it hang) It is very good game !
Latest build can download here : http://ifolder.ru/11004836
EMU can donwload here : http://umk3.hacking-cult.org/2.11hack.zip
My hardware : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bt5HiaE7-0
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 80M Big Size Genesis Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy Reply with quote

Tomy wrote:
After long time development, I run this game on real hardware. (it is not 100% stable yet, sometime it hang) It is very good game !
Latest build can download here : http://ifolder.ru/11004836
EMU can donwload here : http://umk3.hacking-cult.org/2.11hack.zip
My hardware : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bt5HiaE7-0

WOW, this is great news! Now if there was a flashcart big enough to make this work, that would be great! We really need a larger MD-PRO (like 128mb), or especially, larger Megacart
Suppafly

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news Tomy! Thanks!
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the cartridge do it's own address decoding and just maps 80M of ROM starting at address 0? I've always wondered how that hacked ROM works since you need a special build of an emulator to play it.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the emulator just implements some simple custom bankswitching (from the game size guessing one fixed 16M bank and a switchable 16M bank with 2 bits implemented). Apart from propriety I don't know why this hack doesn't use SSF2's mapper which can support at least 256M and since it's an 8 bank register file is a great deal more flexible.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I assumed there was no bankswitching and just a huge chunk of ROM as I have been told that it's relatively easy to make a 64M Genesis cartridge so I figured perhaps 80M is possible.

It would have been ideal if the SSF2 mapper was used. Shouldn't it be possible to adapt the game to use it since the SSF2 mapper is probably even more flexible?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
That's why I assumed there was no bankswitching and just a huge chunk of ROM as I have been told that it's relatively easy to make a 64M Genesis cartridge so I figured perhaps 80M is possible.

This could be the case since there is exactly 80M if you add the cart area and entire reserved area together but I presume it'll conflict with the 32X.

Building a cart like this would be easy, you just need a single 74139:

I also came up with a simple mapper configuration which when combined with the decoder will allow you to stay within the cart area. All it takes is another 74670 (2x 670, 1x 139) to get a reduced feature SSF2 compatible mapper.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well maybe Tommy or the hack author will tell us for sure if it's 80M with no bankswitching. It would be neat to build a cartridge for this hack. Ofcourse it'd be a wiring mess.

With your SSF2 compatible mapper I take it you mean you could build your own SSF2 cartridge with it that would be capable of running SSF2 but not 100% compatible feature wise with what the SSF2 mapper was really capable of?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
With your SSF2 compatible mapper I take it you mean you could build your own SSF2 cartridge with it that would be capable of running SSF2 but not 100% compatible feature wise with what the SSF2 mapper was really capable of?

I wasn't really thinking when I wrote that, adding only one other 670 would only address 64M in 8 banks. It wouldn't be compatible enough to run SSF2, but you could at least use the SSF2 mapper already in emulators and make original carts cheap.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man if only they originally made this game for SNES....
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason it was not made for SNES is because hacking the SNES version of UMK3 would be much harder. In SNES you have banks that are 64KB large and going between them and having data between them must be accounted for and such. On the Genesis you don't have banks, just one big open address space which makes it alot easier to hack to do what you want and add tons of data that it shouldn't have any problem accessing when needed. I did a hack of MK2 on SNES and part of the issue and the way I ended up doing the hack was related to the fact that the banks of ROM that I needed to change did not have enough free space.

So the reason it was not SNES is probably in part that it would be much more difficult.
Mario64

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this playable on any game copier or flash cart? Or perhaps someone could make me a cartridge with this game on there?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No and no. Yes you could make this cartridge if you use the posted wiring and put the image on a 128 megabit flash rom and wire it up.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would pay if someone made me a cart with this game on there. My soldering skills are terrible (due to nerve damage in my hands from a previous job)...Also I have no idea how to program chips or what programmer to use
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone could have a PCB produced which would make producing the cart very easy, avoiding any spaghetti wiring. Although the Genesis Cart is a pretty compact enclosure for 3 16bit eproms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: