ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NES Emu for SNES(?!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: NES Emu for SNES(?!) Reply with quote

Does anyone know if there are a NES emulator for the SNES?
Since it's quite difficult to get a NES backup unit or flashcart, this would be a nice thing to have Smile

Regards,
'pix
dhaunet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, and won't be. And don't ask why. If you think it's possible, well, I think you are pretty naive.
cpix

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done to much programming on the snes to know all the details, but i do know that nintendo intended backwards compability with their snes opcodes.

pix
Suppafly

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once saw an article (pics included) on EGM about a NES add-on for SNES.....the article said it made possible playing nes games on a SNES.....maybe they used some kind of emulation back then.....i guess we will never know..NIntendo Stopped their development Sad
cpix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok :/ I'll guess i will have to use the pocketnes for GBA until gamewizard completes the flashcart (if they ever finnish it).

'pix
ketotot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppafly, I know what you are talking about. It is an accessory called the Super 8, or Tri-Star, for the SNES that lets you play NES and Famicom carts on your SNES.
I have the Super 8, but it was also released under the name Tri-Star(probably for the European market).
It is basically a convertor like the Master System convertor was for the Genesis.
It plugs into the cartridge slot of the SNES and there is a video cable that goes from the Super 8 to the SNES video cable output. You then plug the SNES video cable into the Super 8 which goes out to the TV.
It has an on-screen menu to choose between 8-bit or 16-bit games.

As far as I know it plays all NES/Famicom games. I noticed that with Super Tecmo Bowl for the NES the speech sounds messed up. But I read somewhere that replacing a transistor on the Super 8 fixes some sound problems.

cpix, sounds like you'll need one of these. Wink
Memblers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super 8 is cool. It runs Famicom carts too, IIRC.

An NES emulator might be possible on SNES, but it would require very careful editing of games on an individual basis. There are several 32KB SMC files floating around that run hacked versions of some of the earlier and simplest NES games, and they worked fine my SF7. There's also a hack for Donkey Kong that makes it run on SNES.

It'd be a lot of work to make it run any of the games that people want to play. I'll release the source code to my NES sound emulator for the SPC if it's wanted, that would be useful for something like this.

binaries:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/memblers/nsf_player.zip
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/memblers/nsf_library.zip

Nothing is impossible Very Happy
timofonic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesant the source Very Happy

I think that direct emulation could be difficult, too! But, a nes2snes and make modules for each game... i think that could be possible, no? (i heard about a program that converts nes games to snes, nes2sfc, f2sf or something...)
Memblers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, patching the game to work with some library of NES functions would be the way to go. So if the code does an STA $2000 (a PPU register), you'd replace that with JSR $1000 (into a code table in RAM, which from there does a JMP-long (if needed) to get to some code that does the equivalent thing for SNES. I believe the SNES might be fast enough to keep pace with that, most of the time. In fast mode, the SNES is exactly twice the NES's clock speed.

I'll post my sound emulation code soon, give me some time to sort through it. Would be great if anyone used it, even if for something simpler than this.
Memblers

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's that:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/memblers/2a03-src.zip

Incomplete, messy, and there's lots of unused code/data.. but I guess it's usable enough for someone who knows how to set up an SNES program.
Arakon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, no.
the tristar/super8 is not like the SMS adapter for genesis at all.
the genesis supports SMS games.. the adapter is nothing but a slot adapter which grounds a certain pin.

the super8 on the other hand just takes power from the SNES.. it contains a full, complete NES on a single chip inside it.
the SNES does no work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: