ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Backing up SNES prototypes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ballz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Backing up SNES prototypes Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just got my Game Doctor 7 from Tomy today (thanks again!) and I wanted to try and back up some prototypes that are in my possession.

However, when I try to back them up to a floppy, the GD freezes or crashes or does any number of scary things, none of which result in me having a backup. If I want to simply play the prototype on the GD, the game does load fine. Also note that I have no problems backing up a normal game cartridge (so I assume the copier itself is fine).

These protos are on EPROMs, so I suspect that must somehow be related to the problem. So my question is... how can I fix it? Smile
shadowkn55

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some games just don't backup properly but can be played fine. If you really really want to have a backup of it, you can desolder the eproms and put them in an eprom reader. Although this should be a last resort since it may result in damage.
madman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used my SWC to backup games and haven't had a problem with it. If you'd like, I can try to back them up for you with the SWC. It doesn't make any sense that EPROMs would matter or not, it's all just data coming off a chip.
Ballz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowkn55 wrote:
Some games just don't backup properly but can be played fine. If you really really want to have a backup of it, you can desolder the eproms and put them in an eprom reader. Although this should be a last resort since it may result in damage.

Is this the only way? Sad Worst case scenario may come to this, as some of these protos are unreleased games, and I'd hate to lose them forever when the eproms eventually die out.

madman: How's the success rate of your SWC been when dealing with protos in particular?
madman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballz, I haven't dumped any protos on mine personally, but I know SWCs you have been used in the past to dump protos.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it dump regular games? Some protos give the SF7 trouble like that. Mine only dumps via parellel port...I've never been able to get the floppy to work after even two drive replacements.

-Rob
madman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, mine dumps regular games just fine. I haven't dumped anything since the 16-bit heyday back in the 90s, but the SWC still loads games flawlessly.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a recent thread on the lostlevels.org board where someone could not dump certain protos...the SF7 just didn't like them. Maybe another copier, or Tomy's SNES product could do it. Now, can you not get them on disk, or they just won't dump to the RAM period?

-Rob
Ballz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I choose "Back Up Card" on the majority of the protos, the GD either freezes or goes to black and... freezes. I'm not sure if doing it with the parallel port would make a difference, as the floppy disk drive works fine with regular games and a few of the protos.
madman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has ever used an SF7 to actually back something up Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: