ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kyuusaku Please can you help me !! ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gogo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: kyuusaku Please can you help me !! ? Reply with quote

Hi ,
Do you Remember me and my homemade CD7 on cherryroms forum ? http://membres.lycos.fr/greatfunky/hpbimg/final.JPG "Thanks again to The Dumper Mr. Green "
This week I just bought a Super magicdrive (not received for the moment but certainly at the end of the week ) without diskdrive.
So i would like to build the disk drive (it's certainly more easy to build than a cd7 Wink ) with a amiga disk drive (look similar): http://www.consolpassion.org/lecteur%20amiga.JPG
, of course i'll change the drive inside with a pc standard drive . I know you have made a pinout a long time ago for a super magicom (same diskdrive). The 5V power side is not a problem , i suppose there's a 7805 regulator ,the most important is the shematic between the DB25 and floppy connector so , if you can help me .... Very Happy Thanks a lot!!!
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quickly traced this in an awkward way so it might have an error. You can check once your SMD arrives because on the PCB there are pads to solder in a floppy connector. It has space for a 40 pin IDC connector but only 1-34 is used for floppy, the last 6 pins are NC.

gogo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're great kyuusaku ! Cool
I'll test it and post a feedback here

thank you very much Mr. Green
gogo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so happy !!! i received my SMD today with the manual , the seller know nothing about the unit , if it work or not and how many dram it had. It's a bios 4.1-A with 24 Mega , i know that the 24 mega units are hard to find ... so i could say i'm lucky Laughing
gogo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku , i've tested the drive and something goes wrong Crying or Very sad :
At this time i use a pc power supply . the SMD detect perfectly the drive , if there's no floppy inside it give a "no disk", i try to format a disk and it freeze before starting at 80 and when i try to play disk i heard the electric motor but it wouldn't start and give a "READ ERROR" . I have tested all the pinout and everything is exactly like the schématic Confused .
Is it possible that you have forgotten something in your pinout ? there is no components between DB25 and floppy connectors ?

Thanks

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no components. Did you compare my pinout to the pads inside the SMD?

Did you connect pins 18-25 of the DB-25 to GND?

Are you using bypass capacitors before and after the 7805?

That's all I can think of now :)

BTW, does your SMD have any jumper wires on the bottom of the PCB?
gogo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i have compared every pinout to the smd 1 to 1, tested every wires, from the drive plug to the pads inside the SMD : all is fine. I use a computer external power supply and tested also with a dead super UFO board (power supply work fine on it) : same result. About pins 18-25 they are to GND inside the SMD , Tested GND and seems to be fine from inside SMD to the power supply body. A question : in your pinout, I suppose we see the front of the plastic plug , right ? not the drive connectors? the SMD recognise the drive and try to play the disk then i have "Read error". Except that the smd work fine i successfully send a rom from my PC via parallel port com 1 with SMD.EXE. About any jumper wires on the bottom of the PCB , i have one wire same as this picture : http://supermagi.com/datas/users/1-super_magic_drive_mobo_botb.jpg
kyuusaku , are you really sure of your pinout ? , because you said "it might have an error" Rolling Eyes
Thanks

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my pinout is from the back of the plug.

I am not sure about the pinout, I don't have time or parts to build it. I just quickly traced it using the following method:

If you have a multimeter, just examine the floppy pads! Turn your meter to diode test and put one lead on a floppy pin then put the other on the DB25 floppy connector to see if they are connected.

What I mean by did you connect GND is your floppy drive's DB25 also connected to ground, not inside the SMD :D You must connect all grounds on both devices together for it to communicate properly!
gogo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My story is incredible !!!
Last week i buy from ebay a second SMD : bios 3.3 , 16 mega boxed and with the original floppy drive . I receive it today , plug it in my megadrive 2 , i connect the drive with my parallel cable then connect my megadrive 1 power supply to the drive . Try to launch a floppy then "Read error" : exactly the same problem Shocked , with a different SMD and the original FFE drive , how could it be possible ??!!!
My parallel cable is good i use it with my CD7 and the power supply too.

gogo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see 2 solutions : or something is dead in the 2 SMD (motorola chips) or my megadrive 2 have problems with SMD , maybe it work only with megadrive 1 ?!!!
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try different floppy disks? Can you format a disk with the SMD?
gogo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i have tried different floppy and i can't format .
I have never seen any pictures of a SMD with megadrive 2 only with the first model , now a little supposition : the smd take his power from the megadrive , the 1st model have a 10Volt 1,2 A power supply , the second model a 10volt 850mA. Maybe the motorola chip for the disk drive ask more power ?
Unfortunately i dont have a megadrive 1 for testing but i have the power supply, the polarity and plug size are different so i will make a plug adapter and test with it....

Or , kyuusaku, if you know somebody , who can test a SMD with a megadrive/genesis 2 Wink
Thanks

gogo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested with the megadrive 1 power supply and problem still there Crying or Very sad so i have to find somebody who can test a SMD on a megadrive 2 and can confirm if it work or not , i have lost a lot of money in these copiers so i wouldn't buy a megadrive 1 for nothing now Sad

My megadrive give 4,96 volt from the cartridge plug , i don't know if it's sufficient.....

gogo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me Again!! it works now!!! Razz with the original floppy drive but only with some floppy , sometimes it recognize games sometimes it give a read error with the same floppy!
I don't understand because all those floppys are working fine with my double profighter.
Loadings are very very slow , something is not very clear Confused

kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gogo wrote:
Or , kyuusaku, if you know somebody , who can test a SMD with a megadrive/genesis 2 :wink:
Thanks

Yes, me! :D I have used SMD with MD1, MD2 and Multi Mega/CDX before. They all will work OK.

Can you load a game correctly? Or does it lock up sometime? Loading shouldn't be very slow, please try to format a new disk with the SMD then bring it to a computer to put a file on it.

4.96V is sufficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: