ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Turbo GD6+

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Turbo GD6+ Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the connector on the back is for? I just got one of these and am curious. This thing appears to have more intelligence than the Bung game doctor, I got it to give me a little self test menu.
madman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevermind, figured it out after doing some old web searches. Apparently there was some gave saver type device that could plug in there.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Kyuusaku mentioned a floppy drive too, but I could be totally wrong.

Also, there's some mystery device too, but I can't find the damn pic for it right now...had some kind of MD or PCE connector on it or something.

Extraordinarily rare, though. Kyuusaku said the only one he ever saw was in that pic.

EDIT: Ah, here we go:

I guess he got it from some Canadian dude or something...no other real history behind it.

This mosaic shows the device attached AND the Game Saver mentioned earlier.

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonono, ABSOLUTELY NO FLOPPY DRIVE! The main purpose is the Game Saver.

That picture belongs to DoctorBackup whose account here seems to have been purged. The back slot is a hucard slot, the top is for Famicom. They used a 62 pin connector because 60 pin are very hard to come by, the case looks like it will guide the edge connector to the right pins however. Of course proprietary software is needed to use it just like all addons including the Game Saver.

The TGD6 is significantly more advanced than a Game Doctor; GD was made of discrete MSI while the TGD6 is LSI+MSI. It was the first unit to emulate CHR ROM with DRAM.

The functional improvements over TGD4/GD4M are:

- 256K CHR DRAM
- CHR bankswitching w/ 1k granularity

Due to the scarcity of TGD6 games, the additional features aren't very fruitful since everyone is stuck with old GD2M disks.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right, I must be thinking about the MGD...I think it eventually had a floppy released. I obtained both items in the same box a couple months ago, so things get scrambled in my brain like that sometimes, heh heh.

But right, (like Kyuusaku said), I forgot to mention that even if you did find one of the hu/fami things in the wild (you won't), the software is (pick any number...how about X?) times harder to come by, since for all we know, that thing was a one-off, and maybe there was no software for it, and if there was, it might not even exist any more. It's a really rare paperweight, basically, unless someone comes up with more info on it.

I see from the slot it is definitely fami-shaped. Dunno why I was thinking Mega Drive.

-Rob
DoctorBackup

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
That picture belongs to DoctorBackup whose account here seems to have been purged.

Nah.... My account was hacked (someone posting some crap posing as me) but Tomy gave it back to me a few years back.
kyuusaku wrote:
The back slot is a hucard slot, the top is for Famicom. They used a 62 pin connector because 60 pin are very hard to come by, the case looks like it will guide the edge connector to the right pins however. Of course proprietary software is needed to use it just like all addons including the Game Saver.

Both my TGD6's dont work. One is a BARE UNUSED PCB and the other has something wrong with it, so I have never used any of that hardware or any of my FDS shit other than official games.

*EDIT*
Still have all my copier stuff though
ericj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this old topic.

I recently got a Game Saver 4+ for the Famicom from Tomy's friend. I have a TGD6+ and a TGD4+, but the Game Saver I received is missing the AC adapter connection on the side. Instead it has a Venus sticker over the hole where it should be.

I took it apart and it doesn't look like it was ever attached to the PCB. Problem is, I can't get it to work with my TGD6 (probably because the connector on the back is shot), but when it's connected to the TGD4+ (incidentally, the one it's specifically made for Rolling Eyes ) the Game Saver covers the AC adapter port. Real convenient placement. Mad

Anyone have one of these they could disassemble & take some pics of the PCB and note the components so I can rebuild the AC adapter connector?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing the connector on the side = for a TGD6. You only need the side connector for a TGD4, because the Game Saver blocks the TGD's power. You probably can't get it to work with your TGD6 because A) you aren't loading the boot disk, or B) it's broken (I have one with a burnt out PLD). All you have to do is repopulate the DC connector if you want to use it with your TGD4. lol I dunno what else you think is missing. The AC adapter power is just ORed with the TGD's input, gets regulated inside the TGD and is output back through the expansion connector to the Game Saver.

Last edited by kyuusaku on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll try that.

Any chance you have the boot disk image you could email?
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the boot disk image even exist any more?

-Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: