ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the SF7 "mod" a game?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strike

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Can the SF7 "mod" a game? Reply with quote

Please note: this question isn't talking about playing hacked ROMs on an SF7, but rather having, for example, an actual Japanese cartridge of Star Ocean being "patched", if you will, by having the translation to the game on the SF7?
..This is a difficult question to word, I do not mean physically altering the cart; which is impossible, I mean to simply run the game through the SF7 with added features.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would require either a magical Game Genie/Action Replay which could patch hundreds of thousands of bytes instead of 6 or so or more likely, emulate the ROM while giving access to cartridge hardware. The GDSF7 can do this to an extent, you'd have to read up about SDD1 such as how it's accessed and try to find archived GDSF7 documentation on the Cherryroms forum to see if there is any possibility. I would say no, it can't be done which is why Neviksti wrote a SDD1 handler and hacked Star Ocean to use it in conjunction with a GDSF7.
madman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would the point of that be if you can just patch a rom beforehand?
rbudrick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just get 2000 Game Genies, you'll be ok. Hell, you could probably write a whole new game with just Game Genies if you wanted to, heh heh.

I'd love to see someone do that....

-Rob
Strike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point really; just the novelty of playing the actual jap cartidge, but playing it in english. Of course I wouldn't mind using the hacked ROM and at least own the cartidge, I just find the idea of playing the real thing appealing (minus the jap).
madman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between having a translated japanese ROM and having a japanese cart with some extremely complicated and useless code that provides the exact same result? Either way you are taking an original ROM and changing its contents. Same end result.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also try to fit a 27c320 and 27c160 into a real cartridge which you would be able to play without the Game Doctor.
Strike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyuusaku had the most useful information. As I said before, I was really only asking because I like playing things off an original cart; I get a feeling of authenticity that the game doctor helps with to a certain point, but so does my parallel snes controller interface for my pc emulators, real carts take it to a higher level, or maybe it's just me. Hell, just playing the patched ROM with the actual jap cart just sitting in the game doctor doing nothing would be just fine, plus it is less trouble than these other methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: