ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GD SF3 query

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:21 am    Post subject: GD SF3 query Reply with quote

Hi,

Could someone post a link to an inside pic of an SF3 - or tell me where the floppy power is usually soldered too?

I have an sf3 that errors on startup with "Disk Error (WCM)". Cant navigate any menus at all. Changed the floppy and PSU, no joy.

Inside looks like someone has (badly) soldered the +ve power rail for the floppy across 2 pins - 1 connected to the VR output (so 5V, which is fine) but want to check the other pin (I'm not talking about ground).

Cheers.
Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with a SF3? A quick peek inside would help me out.

I've just established that there is a wiring fault (presumably whoever had it before me) - as If I power the floppy externally, it will work fine - if I hook up its own power to floppy, it comes up with errors.

Possibly a loading fault, though unlikely as I've put in a new V regulator.

All I need to know is where bung hook up the +ve and-ve for the floppy power......
madman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have an SF3 somewhere, but can't you just look at the floppy drive pinout, find where vcc and gnd is and then solder wires to a known gnd (should be easy to find) within the sf3 and another point that's vcc?
Silver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
I think I have an SF3 somewhere, but can't you just look at the floppy drive pinout, find where vcc and gnd is and then solder wires to a known gnd (should be easy to find) within the sf3 and another point that's vcc?

Yes I can/will and see what happens.

The reason I'm checking is because the soldering of the +5v for the floppy has deliberately been done in a way that connects some motherboard points together. ie when i move the +ve wire i will be making changes that removes a connection someone else has made.

could leave it connected and test etc... etc... but I also have a fried GD7 on my hands which is sad waste of cash (I wanted to sell it, rather than pick up a replacement) and am loathe to fry anything else without at least checking.
madman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that does suck. If I get a chance later tonight I'll dig through my closet and try to find my SF3. How much do you want for the busted SF7? Is there any memory with it?
Silver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers much appreciated.

SF7 - Pretty sure it was the standard Bung 32Meg, but I will check on the ram cards.

Had been thinking of picking up one of thoses GD7 CD clones that someone was making, but then thought I'd just let it go (along with my sf3/SuperUFO6+/ProFighterXTurbo... they are just gathering dust).

Had been plannning to just stick'em all on ebay (individually) and see what happened.
Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, more investigation into the SF3 problem suggests there is some kind of internal wiring fault.

Something is grounding the voltage regulator, and the soldered in power connection to the floppy has an active effect on where I get:

Disk Error (RSDT) or Disk Error (WCM) or no error at all until I try and read a disk.

A pic or description of where the floppy power is wired to would be 100% useful.... anyone?
didekmiu_

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mine is rather weird. Power was wired to the 5v on the extended RAM connector. I removed this and added a separate line as I was getting Disk reading errors. I first had it straight to the 5v, but then i added another 5v regulator separate only for the FDD.

It's quite stupid where they had it wired to because if the drive took too much power then the memory got corrupted.
Silver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for confirming. Had they wired to it 2 pins on the Ram board connector?

If so, its same as mine. I've traced the short I was detecting, so hopefully can get it up and running.

Tracing out the PCB layout (they run ground on one side of the board, +5V on the other) looks like this should not be problem as it is directly wired to +5V output of the voltage regulator. So chances are the position would not have impacted your ram problems. (Probably combination of weak PSU or VoltageReg and a high current draw floppy drive)

It's just a really odd thing to do when you have a large unused pad to solder to (CN+ I think) which even has writing nearby saying "5V Voltage Connector". The mind boggles.

Did you just wire a second VR in parallel with the first?
madman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Silver, are you the guy selling the SF3 and busted SF7 on EBay UK? I'd like to get that broken SF7, but don't have .uk EBay account.
madman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a pic for you, I finally found my SF3.

The top two pins there that the red wire is hooked to are shorted together.
Silver

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nice one - much appreciated!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Copiers and Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: