ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game Master Adapter for Famicom or any Famicom backup unit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Ace

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Game Master Adapter for Famicom or any Famicom backup unit Reply with quote

I recall this was for sale about two years ago at Game Choice Club to mainly back up Famicom saves and maybe use it to transfer famicom games into disc.

I would like to know how do I go about getting or or a backup device for a Famicom so I can play games that support autosaving.
madman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no Famicom unit that will back carts up to disk.
The_Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman wrote:
There's no Famicom unit that will back carts up to disk.

Back up to disk, I meant via the Famicom Disk adapter using the custom Famicom floppies.
madman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, there's no Famicom copier that will back carts up to any disks, Famicom Disks or otherwise. You can only back up disks to other disks. Cannot put carts directly onto FDS disks with a Famicom copier.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Game Master Boy (what they were selling) only has real time save and slow motion features, it's not a full fledged copier. It was also released for the NES as the "Game Action Replay". Without additional hardware, it is also not capable of backing up (to disk) cartridge game saves, only saves from FDS games since both the RAM adapter and cartridge can't be in the same slot.
The_Ace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyhow, I am still looking for one so I can finally save my gamestates ala emulation and Virtual Console for my A/V Famicom.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also should mention that save states may only be dumped and restored from the internal 32K RAM which will be filled up within only a couple saves if the cart has SRAM. It is also not compatible with MMC5 games and will most likely overwrite your saves so be careful.

While the Game Master does a pretty good job at real time saving, there is no way to save the state of a console exactly without having access to the internals of the hardware. The Game Master only uses external hardware and software tricks to do the job so just understand it won't be emulation quality.
The_Ace

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Also should mention that save states may only be dumped and restored from the internal 32K RAM which will be filled up within only a couple saves if the cart has SRAM. It is also not compatible with MMC5 games and will most likely overwrite your saves so be careful.

While the Game Master does a pretty good job at real time saving, there is no way to save the state of a console exactly without having access to the internals of the hardware. The Game Master only uses external hardware and software tricks to do the job so just understand it won't be emulation quality.

I just want something that would save after an hour of Master Blaster while keeping all of the previously defeated bosses in tact. With a 72 to 60 pin adapter, would a Game Action Replay work?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Ace wrote:
With a 72 to 60 pin adapter, would a Game Action Replay work?
Yes, but it will be physically unstable I would assume.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience it is about as stable as the Game Action replay...I would say exactly as stable. However, GARs can be total dicks about working correctly after extended use (mine just doesn't work much anymore), so maybe the GMB is more reliable. It will save your game and load it correctly 99 times ouf 100. Sometimes it fucks up the save, but honestly, what emulator doesn't do that, ya know?

Anyway, I translated the GMB instruction book if anyone wants it. It was my very first attempt ever at translating Mandarin, and I think it turned out pretty well. Mandarin is way easier than Japanese to translate.

It's a sizeable PDF, but lemme know, and I'll make a download for it.

I'm still dying to know what the 15 pin port on the back of the GM is for. Kyuusaku, didn't you say it was for a special floppy disk attachment adapter or something? There is nothing much about it in the instructions, which was my primary drive for doing the translation to begin with.

-Rob
madman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I think he meant physically unstable, as in wobbly on top of the system with the converter in the mix.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Ok. In my experience, only SNES copiers do that due to being intended for the SFC. All my FC copiers fit pretty snugly in the FC.

Here's the link for the GMB translation. I'd appreciate it if anyone who might speak Mandarin could tell me if I made any errors, because I really don't speak a lick of Mandarin...I just had a few books and online resources. These Megaupload links are usually only temporary, so if you want this, better snag it now.

EDIT: Oops, I uploaded the wrong file. I'll get the new one up soon.

-Rob
madman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbudrick wrote:
Oh, Ok. In my experience, only SNES copiers do that due to being intended for the SFC. All my FC copiers fit pretty snugly in the FC.

Yes, but he's talking about a 72-60 pin adapter being used with a GAR. Not an FC unit fitting on top of the FC.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VGPKRTBY

Ok, That link should be good.

Oh, and right, madman, I forgot. I think I was retarded when I first read the thread. I actually used my GMB on my NES once via three adapters (two 60-72s and a 72-60), and it does work, but hell no, it ain't stable!

It's cheaper almost to buy an FC than the adapters nowadays.

-Rob
The_Ace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the guide, now I just need to find a GMB for the A/V famicom. I just want to play NES/Famicom games without worrying about saving my console state.

Thank you in advance. Besides, using a Game Master, it would be more stable to use a 72 to 60 pin adapter on top to play NES games instead of a 72 to 60 pin adapter on top of a Game action replay and a NES cart.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> User Buy/Sell, and Request stuff here All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: