ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NeoGeo Flash Cart Is it Possible????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruuth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang. I was hoping that maybe there was a way to mess with the really big rom chips or something, since the multis don't have all the games I want. Yet. I'm kind of getting tired of these that have 10+ versions of the same game.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the reason multiple versions of the same game happen is you can add them at lower cost. The reason being that many of those games will have identical Sound or Graphics data or atleast some duplicate that could be reused.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wish they would do a separate multicart with games not found on the other multicarts and be done with it.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they would just take the MAME romset of official NeoGeo releases (no hacks, but maybe prototypes) and put that on one cartridge. Then you'd just need one cartridge for your NeoGeo and that's it.
kruuth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, but what does a rom dump look like of one of these? I'd love to be able to replace the roms on one of these with my own multi-game cart. Neo Geo had lots of good stuff besides king of fighters.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would look like a lot of ROMs appended together... The mapper works by masking the incoming address for the specific ROM size and then it adds an offset depending on where the game is in the series. It would be probably be pretty easy to change the games in these but the only way to do so is to remove the flash and manually reprogram them which is definitely not easy; the flash used isn't going to be supported by any reasonably-priced programmers.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that in mind, could one of these be easily hacked to just remove the unneeded hacks/dupes, and then just insert the missing games? I know you'd need to buy the appropriate programmable chips, but that should be the only added cost, right? Is there a bios or something that would need to be rewritten on these carts to tell it what games are then on there?

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wouldn't really be any added cost, it's just a matter of reprogramming the chips, but that's no small feat. You'd also have to hack the menu program for the updated games but I suspect that could be understood pretty easily. Debugging however not so much ;)
rbudrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know it's not impossible. It'd be nice if someone figured this out. I'd immediately buy 2 carts (one?) that had the complete collection with no hacks. I don't even own a Neo yet and I'd buy them.

-Rob
kruuth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you couldn't use SD, CF, etc, but would it be possible to have something like the old GBA flash roms that used a USB writer?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, but you'd need a number of them.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be funny, a NeoGeo cartridge with a ton of GBA cartridge ports to plug in a dozen or more GBA flash cartridges. It would just look so insane.
kruuth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the technology, not the actual carts silly. Could we have something like that where there was an external writer that flashed the cart?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, it could be done but it'd be ridiculously clunky and expensive opposed to designing it like a V64 Jr. The easiest way literally would be to flash 4 GBA carts (multiplexing a few buses) with the game's ROMs.
MottZilla

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess you'd need 2 GBA cartridges for the C-ROMs since NeoGeo maxes out at 512mbit and a GBA cartridge maxes out at 256mbit without bankswitching. Then one more for the V-ROMs, another for the P-ROMs, so there is your four. But you'd still need a M-ROM and possibly an S-ROM but I'm not sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: