ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NeoGeo Flash Cart Is it Possible????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kruuth

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be pretty nice to not have to deal with all these crappy hacks on a multicart and just go with something to program...
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MottZilla wrote:
I'd guess you'd need 2 GBA cartridges for the C-ROMs since NeoGeo maxes out at 512mbit and a GBA cartridge maxes out at 256mbit without bankswitching. Then one more for the V-ROMs, another for the P-ROMs, so there is your four. But you'd still need a M-ROM and possibly an S-ROM but I'm not sure.

You'd need 2 carts for the C ROM because it's a 32-bit bus. The S ROM always fits within the 512M C ROM space and is necessary to be embedded for bankswitching anyway.

1 cart could be multiplexed for P ROM and M ROM.

1 cart could be multiplexed for both ADPCM buses, just like the NEO-PCM.
CrackLtd

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for repeating myself but .... Any progress in the project since april? (April 2008!!)? Kyu...cmon..dont be a lazy bum! Wink
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually yes, in January (2010) I finally learned the secret to AES carts! The only bankswitching I still don't know is S ROM (fixed layer) used in the last games which I don't own. Of course even if I design a copier, it means nothing if I can't build it myself and don't want to share all of the source Razz
kruuth

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be awesome if there was a nice neo geo flash...even at $200 it'd be worth the money.
Trenton_net

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's sacrilegious, but it seems like it would be an awful lot easier to just make a MAME setup instead (^_^);
MottZilla

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trenton_net wrote:
Perhaps it's sacrilegious, but it seems like it would be an awful lot easier to just make a MAME setup instead (^_^);

I've said the same thing. The amount of money that goes into a NeoGeo MVS or AES setup plus some multicart or flash cart could easily afford you a decent MAME setup where you'd have all the games plus tons more that aren't NeoGeo.

It'd be sweet to have the original hardware with a single cartridge that held all the games somehow or was easily reprogrammable into whatever game you wanted. But the reality is it'd cost so much money MAME starts to seem like a much better idea. Afterall it's MAME, not NeoRageX which can leave some things to be desired in accuracy.
rbudrick

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
Actually yes, in January (2010) I finally learned the secret to AES carts! The only bankswitching I still don't know is S ROM (fixed layer) used in the last games which I don't own. Of course even if I design a copier, it means nothing if I can't build it myself and don't want to share all of the source Razz

Share source? Nah, most are way too lazy for that. We just want you to build and sell your own multicart, heh heh. We'll buy that sumbitch from you for sure. Laughing

-Rob
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kruuth wrote:
It'd be awesome if there was a nice neo geo flash...even at $200 it'd be worth the money.

In all honesty $200 won't be happening, probably ever. The materials involved are 3X the cost of anything else right now.

MottZilla wrote:
Afterall it's MAME, not NeoRageX which can leave some things to be desired in accuracy.

MAME hasn't come very far from NRX! Thankfully Neo lends itself well to inaccurate emulation and hacks.

rbudrick wrote:
Share source? Nah, most are way too lazy for that. We just want you to build and sell your own multicart, heh heh. We'll buy that sumbitch from you for sure. :lol:

Well I'm not planning a multicart XD I think the only reason those are so cheap/available right now is because the maker somehow got a deal on those rare giant flashes.
nevermind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
There wouldn't really be any added cost, it's just a matter of reprogramming the chips, but that's no small feat. You'd also have to hack the menu program for the updated games but I suspect that could be understood pretty easily. Debugging however not so much Wink

If I have a binary dump of the rom bank, how can I debug this?? how can I mod the menu program and replace the rom game?
nevermind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
It would look like a lot of ROMs appended together... The mapper works by masking the incoming address for the specific ROM size and then it adds an offset depending on where the game is in the series. It would be probably be pretty easy to change the games in these but the only way to do so is to remove the flash and manually reprogram them which is definitely not easy; the flash used isn't going to be supported by any reasonably-priced programmers.

But If you have a dump you can try the modding version with an emulator? And flash the eprom only one time.

Last edited by nevermind on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it doesn't seem like anyone would ever make a Neo Geo Flash Cart. Even if someone made it and charged 2000 dollars, people would buy it, but nobody would really make it. Seems the technical hurdles are too much, and multicarts are easier to make.The multicarts are ok, but often just have repeated hacks (mostly KOF ones). Now if there were 2-3 separate multicarts that combined had every game, I'd just get those. MAME is a good option, but for the purist (and there are a lot of them) that wants to play actual Neo Geo games on an actual system, a multicart or flash cart would be best. After all, isn't this site all about actual hardware instead of emulation?
MottZilla

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RGB_Gamer wrote:
The multicarts are ok, but often just have repeated hacks (mostly KOF ones). Now if there were 2-3 separate multicarts that combined had every game, I'd just get those. MAME is a good option, but for the purist (and there are a lot of them) that wants to play actual Neo Geo games on an actual system, a multicart or flash cart would be best. After all, isn't this site all about actual hardware instead of emulation?

It's not as if you can't buy the games. If you really were a purist, you would. But if you settle for pirate versions, you can't really be that much of a purist. As I'm sure kyuusaku has probably said, the market for any NeoGeo flash cartridge would be pretty small. It would cost alot. Infact it may make more sense to clone the NeoGeo in a way to run ROMs stored on flash cards like CF. Or to just do what is already done with those JAMMA multiboards that are PCs running MAME designed to be put in arcade cabinets.
nevermind

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taked a photos of 150 in 1 multicart.
The cart have 3 board with some smd IC.
This board have empty field (possibly eeprom upgrade?!?!) :

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/7383/frontwf.jpg
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/8587/insidefy.jpg

Are these roms eeprom? Can I read and write?

Last edited by nevermind on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
MottZilla

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure they would have to be Flash ROMs, which yes that means they could be reprogrammed. But you'd need to reverse engineer the product's menu and banking system if you were to want to try to put your own set of games on the cartridge. But that's probably the easy part. The hard part would be physically removing the Flash ROMs to reprogram them and then putting them back on the PCB. It would be easy if they were DIP packages but SMD, most people can't deal with that. Plus who knows what sort of device programmer you would need to program those flash chips.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> New Product idea All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: