ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Considering a purchase, questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmartOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Considering a purchase, questions Reply with quote

I'm intrigued by your product. If it really works, it would be great to have. However, in the product description it states that you need an EPP parallel port to flash the cartridge, and both my computers are ECP. When I looked at your DreamWriter program there was a version 1.6 that says it supports ECP, even though it's not the latest version. So is ECP supported or not? If not, how could I change to EPP?

Also, how do I know if my USB ports are 5 volts? Does the chip really get damaged by anything different?

I'd like to know the answers to these questions before I throw down $60+ on this setup. Wink Thanks for your time.

EDIT: I switched my parallel port to EPP in the BIOS (EPP version 1.9, though 1.7 is also an option.) Is this good? Would it work? There's also an option for "EPP+ECP" and "Normal" ... whatever that means.

And another question. What does 32 Meg vs 64 MEG mean? The cartridge can only hold that many MB of ROM data? An average game is about 2 MB, am I correct? Is the 64 simply more storage space?
SmartOne

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummmm.... Anyone?????
MrCheese

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it really works. I have my parallel port set to EPP. Easiest way is to try ECP and EPP. One of them will work. You change it in the PC BIOS. I've no idea how to check the USB voltage. I run the programmer USB connection from a powered USB hub so it takes power from that, not my mobo. 32 vs 64 is exactly that, more memory on the card. You can put multiple games onto the same cart so more memory = more games on cart = less unplugging / flashing onto cart etc.

Hope this helps.
SmartOne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thanks very much for the info. EPP is the recommended mode though, correct?

If I get this, which I think I am, I'm definitely getting the 64 MB version. Very Happy

How do I choose to get a parallel port cable with my order? Can't find an option...
MrCheese

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get the parallel cables here http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/Buy.php?CategoryID=5&Description=CLASSIC

Just add one to your basket. As to your parallel port some people say EPP + ECP works fine, other say EPP works fine.

When you first get your flashcart it will probably have some software on it. Plug it into your megadrive and fire it up. Normally you get a blue menu. Make a selection and see what happens. The software may be Japanese. Assuming this is all OK:

To set it all up:
Plug parallel cable into parallel port
Plug other end into programmer
Plug USB lead from computer into programmer
Start PC and go into BIOS and set port to EPP.
Make a note of the port address It is normally one of 278, 378, 2F8 or 378.
Save BIOS settings if you have changed anything and start the PC.
Install the dreamwriter software (I use v 2.1) - get it from here http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/download/E/index.htm . I installed the v 1.6 version then copied the 2.1 exe into the installation directory which is c:\program files\Tototek\Dreamwriter(Genesis)\.

Flick the switch on the programmer to OFF
Plug flash cart into programmer
Flick the switch on the programmer to ON
Start superflash software. Click on settings (the cog icon at the top).
Select the printer port address
Set the ROMS path. Normally you can leave the other paths alone.

I tend to keep a directory with just the roms I am interested in in only as a directory with a lot of roms takes more time to load e.g. c:\my roms\ would have all of them in and then have c:\my roms\flashcart\ with a few unzipped roms in that I want to use regularly. In this instance I would set my roms path to c:\my roms\flashcart\

Click OK.
On the main form you should see a list of what is on the cart. If you do not then click on the icon that looks like a cart with a red quesion mark. It should read the cart info. If it does not check your settings and try again. To put new software on the cart simply click on the game on the left and then the blue arrow to move it over. You can add multiple pieces of software. You may want to try 1 or 2 piece of software first to check it it all working. When you are done click the "games" icon at the top. Wait while the software is sent to the cart.
Flick the switch on the programmer to OFF
Put cart into Megadrive and give it a whirl.

There is also the "turbo" option which speeds up the flash loading.

This sounds like a lot of stuff to do, but in reality it will take you 5 minutes at the most. You just check the parallel port in the bios, plug it all in, install software and off you go. Also I would go for the cased version of the cart.
SmartOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the guide! I've been worrying about the order of doing things, so that's really informative (ie. when to plug it in to avoid damaging the card.)

I have an older Laserjet printer that uses some sort of parallel cable. One end has all the little pins, but the other end is different and looks more like a cartridge plug-in type thing. Is this what I need or do both ends need to be the same?

I think my USB A+B cable from my newer printer will work...

The cartridge plug-in thingy:
MrCheese

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a straight through DB 25 connector. That is a Centronics connection - both ends will look like the other end of the cable you have provided a picture of. I always order the cable from ToToTEK as it is only $4 - not worth the fuss or inconvinience of getting the wrong one from a shop. Any regular USB cable will work.

I just noticed in your first post you said $60. That is for the flash cart ONLY. You WILL need the programmer as well, unless you have one.

You are looking at the 32mb flash cart http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/PARTS/LINKS/OS/mdpro64.htm

What you need is the flash cart and programmer - http://www.tototek.com/pio/main1/SUBMENU/PARTS/LINKS/OS/mdpro64plus.htm

You should get a case as well, unless you have a cart you can use the case from. If you can't get the 64mb version then the 32mb version is cheaper.
SmartOne

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I understand it'll be over $100. Big purchase.

Isn't the 32MB only $15 cheaper?

I just bought an EA Bill Walsch College Football game yesterday simply because it has regular philips screws instead of the security bits. Hehe. Now I have a case to use. Very Happy

Only $4 for the parallel cable? That seems nice and cheap.

Unfortunately when this is all said and done, I still need parental approval. This is a big chunk of cash.

EDIT: I ordered and paid! *swallow* $111.60 later. I really hope everything works out ok and it's worth it!
MrCheese

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be worth it. You will have access to literally 1000's of pieces of megadrive software.
SmartOne

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how long do I have to wait for confirmation of my payment and shipping information? It'd be nice to know since I just sent them over $100 via Paypal.
MrCheese

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PayPal will sent you confirmation via email as soon as you pay. Don't worry, ToToTEK has been around for several years and they sort everyone out. Last time I ordered something (was on a Friday) I heard nothing and the package arrived on the Tuesday. I ordered the PCE-PRO on Sunday and will expect it at the end of the week, beginning of next.

There are things you can do: You can check the shipping status via "SHIPPING STATUS" on the left. You will have received an email confirming your order from ToToTEK with your order number in.

After making your payment did you email sales@tototek.com?
SmartOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I e-mailed sales@tototek.com. There hasn't been any reply yet, but from your stories it sounds like there usually is no reply. I wish that was more clear on the website/order information.

I still have the "Waitting for ship / Invisilive order" when I check the status.
MrCheese

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomy may be in China for a few days, he is busy. He will ship. My order for the PCE-PRO says the same thing. Don't panic. Some of this site goes back to 2001. In the internet age everyone wants everything next day.
SmartOne

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read in other threads, Tomy seems like a nice and reliable person. Is he really the only person handling sales? Shocked Seems like that would be tough.

I wish the payment (especially through Paypal) was automated, but as long as this manual method works, I'm happy. It would be nice to know if my money was received and if they know whose order it's for. Sad
MrCheese

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got it? Is it working OK?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> MD-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: