ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SMS games not working
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SMS-PRO Flash Cart
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: SMS games not working Reply with quote

Ok after I received the SMS flash cart and got it to be recognized in the software, at first it would not transfer to the cart if I had the turbo option checked.

Now that that is over, it seems most games just do not work after loading from the game selection menu and if they do, there are graphical errors or games just keep resetting or crashing.

Is there anything I need to do to the ROMs before transferring to the cart?
MrCheese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the verify option when putting roms onto the cart? Also which roms are you using? Do they work in an emulator? Are they bad dumps? Try getting some of the GOODSMS roms and try them.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCheese wrote:
Are you using the verify option when putting roms onto the cart? Also which roms are you using? Do they work in an emulator? Are they bad dumps? Try getting some of the GOODSMS roms and try them.

Yes I do verify before writing to the cart, they work in an emulator, they aren't bad dumps
MrCheese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use the verify option in dreamwriter to ensure the rom is written to the cart correctly?
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCheese wrote:
Do you use the verify option in dreamwriter to ensure the rom is written to the cart correctly?

Yes I do
MrCheese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the connector on your SMS might be dirty. Try cleaning it.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCheese,

I am not using a Master System. I have a Sega CDX system (Sega Genesis and Sega CD in one console) and I am using an SMS to MD adaptor. I can see the menu and games on the menu but games either display a black or blue screen when they load, or they load with garbled graphics and eventually just reset constantly. I am using ROMs from the GoodSMS set so I don't know what the deal is. The CDX system and SMS programmer/SMS flash cart are all new so I don't think it has anything to do with dirty equipment.
MrCheese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know Sega are still making Sega CDX equipment! I have no experience of running through a convertor. Are you using the correct PSU to run it all? Adding all the boards could add additional strain onto the PSU and cause weird problems. Do regular SMS carts work through the convertor? Can you get a real SMS to try the flash cart on? Are you certain the Sega CDX connector is clean?
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you load a game press reset, compatibility mode usually doesn't work the first try.

MrCheese wrote:
I didn't know Sega are still making Sega CDX equipment!

? they aren't. Sega stopped making 16-bit consoles in ~1996 and sold off the remaining stock in ~2001. All 16-bit made after 1996 are either licensed or unlicensed clones such as the Genesis 3 by Majesco. Sega doesn't actually make any consoles now and hasn't since ~2002 (Dreamcast.)
MrCheese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? they aren't. Sega stopped making 16-bit consoles in ~1996 and sold off the remaining stock in ~2001. All 16-bit made after 1996 are either licensed or unlicensed clones such as the Genesis 3 by Majesco. Sega doesn't actually make any consoles now and hasn't since ~2002 (Dreamcast.)

I am going from this comment:

The CDX system and SMS programmer/SMS flash cart are all new so I don't think it has anything to do with dirty equipment.

My comment was stating my suprise that he has a brand new CDX system.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrCheese wrote:

I am going from this comment:

The CDX system and SMS programmer/SMS flash cart are all new so I don't think it has anything to do with dirty equipment.

My comment was stating my suprise that he has a brand new CDX system.

Brand new yes, but that was because I bought it from ebay like that. It's obvious that Sega isn't making these any more, but the unit I happened to by was never used. Sega CDX doesnt have Z80/SMS mode, hence the problems I am having, so onlly Sega Genesis model 1 and 2 have this mode.
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the other thread, CDX do have SMS mode, I've used it. Did you try my suggestion and reset after loading? IIRC you have to do this with real games on the converter as well.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyuusaku wrote:
As I said in the other thread, CDX do have SMS mode, I've used it. Did you try my suggestion and reset after loading? IIRC you have to do this with real games on the converter as well.

yes I tried but still no go. The roms I am using are from the goodSMS set (most recent) and so far I can only get 1 or 2 out of about 20 to work. maybe u can email me a game that actually works
kyuusaku

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, I also wish you'd be a little more discrete about your intentions, it doesn't help the community. Anyways, I don't even have a SMS Pro so I couldn't do that if I wanted to.
RGB_Gamer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I made some progress.

First, with the help of my Windows 98 machine and ucon64 (I could never get ucon64 to work with XP), I fom finally got more games to actually display stuff. When I first try to flash my SMS-PRO with ucon64, it says the ROM has a header and needs to be stripped, so I use ucon64's header stripping tool and it outputs the headerless file. Now I then flash the game and put it on my SMS-PRO 32mb cart connected to the SMS to MD adaptor (which is then plugged into my Sega CDX console) and plug my system in. Some games start up with scrambled graphics while others do not, but at some point (either at the begging or after beggining) after loading the game, the game just resets for no reason.

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> SMS-PRO Flash Cart All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: