ToToTEK.COM Forum Index ToToTEK.COM
Help & Support Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does the GD/SF6 run "hacked" games/roms

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eggba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: Does the GD/SF6 run "hacked" games/roms Reply with quote

Hi there, im new here and i have a few questions. Im planing on buying a GD/SF6 from Tototek to run my own and others custom made Super Mario World levels (made/edited with Lunar Magic : http://fusoya.cg-games.net/lm/shots.html ) Anyone know if these and other hacked roms are playable on the GD/SF6 unit once converted to GD format?

...and I have a PAL/EU SNES, is the modification for geting the GD/SF6 to work with a PAL SNES hard or easy to perform? and will I get slowdowns and a PAL-NTSC problem with this(or maby the ROM can be converted to PAL prior to loading in GB to eliminate this prob.)?

Thankfull for any replies.

eGGba
The Dumper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience with the SF6, only the SF7. My understanding is that they are quite similar with probably the main functional difference being that the SF6 doesn't support as much dram.

Both the DX2 and the SF7 will run this just fine on a US SNES so I would hypothesize that you will be able to run it fine so long as you can:

1) Run an unmodified Super Mario World (U) on your PAL SNES. You'll have to test it.

If you need to convert your SF6 to PAL you'll need to swap the NTSC CIC chip inside the SF6 for a PAL CIC chip. Hopefully the CIC chip is socketed in the SF6. It usually is in the SF7. You can remove a PAL CIC from most PAL carts (except special chip carts with internal CIC or SOP chip packages). If you remove a CIC from a cart you'll have to break out the soldering iron but I don't know of any place that sells these separately so that's probably going to be your only option unless you purchase a backup-unit with a PAL CIC chip already installed. It's easy to swap the chip, but it takes a small amount of work to un-solder a chip from a SNES cart.

2) Your SF6 supports enough dram to hold the game.

The ultra demo level he uses needs 48Mbit of dram. If you're doing your own levels you can make them fit into whatever you have available.

Of course you'll need the latest ucon64 to convert the image to Game Doctor format too. With parallel port all you need is something like "ucon64 -gd3 smwu.smc" and "ucon64 -xgd6 sf48smw".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ToToTEK.COM Forum Index -> Chatting about Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: